Motorola Razor Signal Reception ?

dkg999
dkg999 Posts: 5,647
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
I had an offer from Verizon to upgrade to the new Razor cell phone. The battery life on my old Motorola V710 was getting pretty short, so I decided to upgrade to the Razor. Everything about the phone seems OK, except that it seems like my old V710 got a lot better signal reception. Places like my apt where I used to get full bars, I now only get about 2/3 of the same signal strength. I'm wondering if I shouldn't take it back and get the newer version of the V710, which still has the external antenna. I have a lot of places such as my farm in IA that are fringe areas for reception.

Anybody else have the Razor and can provide their thoughts? I've got 30 days to exchange the phone. Thanks!
DKG999
HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
Post edited by dkg999 on

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited March 2007
    Mine doesn't like to be inside all-brick buildings much or stores like Wal-Mart, where there is a lot of electrical interference. Other than that, it's been a decent phone for the 6-7 months I've had it. I'm with Sprint, fwiw.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • dkg999
    edited March 2007
    Just found out that the Verizon rep didn't know crap, as part of my farm is analog service only and the Razor apparently doesn't do analog, only digital service.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • ND13
    edited March 2007
    dkg999 wrote:
    Just found out that the Verizon rep didn't know crap, as part of my farm is analog service only and the Razor apparently doesn't do analog, only digital service.

What version do you have? I could have sworn mine does both.
  • dkg999
    edited March 2007
    It says Razor V3m?
    DKG999

• ND13
    edited March 2007
    Same here. I'll have to locate the manual. But I seem to remember it as being a dual or tri-band phone. It also has gone into analog roam mode before.
  • dkg999
    edited March 2007
    The Verizon and Motorola sites say it is an all digital phone, no analog service.
    DKG999

• ND13
    edited March 2007
    I wonder how mine went into analog roam then.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2007
    Razrs are total crap. The most unreliable phone we have ever owned.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited March 2007
    Maybe you got a lemon, Steve. My has performed perfectly.

I'm not sure about the digital/analog thing. The manual doesn't really say much about it. There are 3 indicator icons, one for digital roaming [^], one for 1x-EVDO [EV] and one for 1x-RTT [1X]. Mine is normally in [EV], but has gone to [1X] out in the middle of nowhere.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dkg999
    edited March 2007
    As confirmed by the Verizon Store, the Razor is a fully digital phone, doesn't work in an analog only service area, ie such as parts of my farm in IA, the ranch in SD, and other places I tend to spend time! The phone also pretty much quit working as the csr at the Verizon Store was getting my phone book downloaded to my new phone. She says that about 1 out of 3 Razors come back DOA!

And the winner is ...... the Motorola V325i! All the features of the Razor except for the ability to play music, send video messages, ie all the crap I don't need :) The V325i has a stronger battery, and has the external antenna. It's back to full bars in my apt, vs close to no service with the Razor. The V325i also has a rubber armored exterior shell for those of us that don't always have our cell phones in the nicest environments :cool:
    DKG999

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2007
    F1nut wrote:
    Maybe you got a lemon, Steve. My has performed perfectly.

Not A lemon....THREE lemons. All three lasted less than 6 months. One completely stopped working in 3 months and the other two had different oprational issues. Motorola would not stand behind any of them. SCREW MOTO! We just re-upped the family plan...2 LGs, A Blackberry and a Nokia. I will never own another Motorola phone (and we had had 6 prior to the RAZRs).

The RAZRs have lots of bad customer reviews if you check out the various sites...like C-Net.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited March 2007
    My wife has a Razor cellphone for about 13 months now she has no problems with it.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2007
    take it back.. take it back. get something other than a razr

hee hee hee. nevermind, he already. did.

cool.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited April 2007
    I've had no issues with my RAZR, and have had it for over a year. Other than Moto's crappy phonebook, the phone has worked better all around compared to my previous Nokia. And it isn't the size of a brick, so its nice to only have one protrusion from my pants at a time.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited April 2007
    RAZR are to fragile. friend of mine is on his 6th.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • MattN03
    MattN03 Posts: 558
    edited April 2007
    I bought a RAZR 3vxx over the weekend and it has better reception than my old Motorola 551 so I'm pleased. Hopefully, this new RAZR will be more reliable than some earlier versions were.