Alpine H701, DAAAAAmnnn this thing smokes!

Jack from Indo
Jack from Indo Posts: 109
edited April 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Gaaawwd, I LOVE this thing!

Control?

I feel like......... like I used to own a hot dog stand, but now I'm frickin President of the United States.
Post edited by Jack from Indo on

Comments

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited March 2007
    What are you using to control it? The controller is pretty easy to use, but I think the W200 is the coolest/ easiest by far. Using a 900/ 901 to control it is a bit tricky, and using the V- Hub Pro is a complete pain in the ****. I like the processor, and for the money it does a lot.
  • Jack from Indo
    edited March 2007
    I got the optional PAS something or other that Alpine makes for it, cause I got a Pioneer HU. The 6 presets are very great, although even more would be better. Only thing I would add from toying with it so far is maybe a remote control for the volume.

WELL..............actually:

OK, actually there is one more thing I think would be cool, but this is gonna elicit groans from the a-phile audience:

If the time delay could have a function that would randomly increase and decrease the delay as you were listening to the music, you could get an effect where the vocalist was not just sitting in the middle of your stage, but wandering around on the stage, like they do in a real performance.

Go ahead, laugh at me all you purists. I still think it would be way cool.
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited March 2007
    Just wait until the auto-eq units come out from Alpine and JBL... those things are getting hyped up like hell.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2007
    I still dont and probably never will trust Auto EQ's. I dunno why.

The H701 is almost perfect. I cant really think of anything that I would add to it? Stupid easy to operate and more controls than you can shake your dick at.

Mine pops its cherry this weekend! Woohoo! My first shows. A double header in Nashville Sat and Sun. Im skeered too. Playing with the big dawgs now up in the Modified Pro class. Yikes. I tried to re-enter the Amateur class but I guess you can only be a rookie once. :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Jack from Indo
    edited March 2007
    Auto EQ would be like making love to a blow up doll.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2007
    what's wrong with blow up dolls?
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2007
    I'm installing an RF threesixty.1 this weekend into a 2007 Suburban. I'll let everyoneknow how it is. I already installed the software on my wife's Blackjack phone. Wish me luck.

BTW...your mom is gettin hyped up like hell.
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2007
    Your mom is installing a........oh forget it.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Jack from Indo
    edited March 2007
    Mac, a couple of things you have said have intriqued me.

1. One, you turned down the treble on your tweeters then upped the gain. Uh correct? I understand why that might work well. So what did you turn down exactly, the EQ? or?

2. Two, you got just one of your tweeters out of phase, rest of speakers in same phase. I wonder if that is a vehicle specific thing. Probably, but?
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2007
    I only turned down my left tweeter by only 3 db because it was localizing most to that spot and it was spreading out the female vocals image.

I adjust the gains for the tweeters with their levels at +/- 0 db. After I find the right gain setting then Ill adjust independant tweeter level via the 701 if I need to. For my daily driving I have them both set at 0.

I dont have either tweeter out of phase. I have my left mid out of phase. Both tweets are in phase.

• Jack from Indo
    edited March 2007
    Right. I am biamped as of two days ago. Oh, do I love this. Way better.

I am going today with my tuning fork (I have perfect relative pitch - what most people confuse for "perfect pitch", which is diff, and much rarer) to sit in my car and, with my equipment off, going to find and than calculate all the resonant frequencies of my car by ear, as when I tune a piano. This should take me about an hour.

Then, I'm going to use the parametric EQ to adjust them.

THEN I'm gong to fire it up and listen, and adjust the level of the identified frequencies.
  • bknauss
    edited March 2007
    MacLeod wrote:
    Your mom is installing a........oh forget it.

Josh's mom is installing my piece.
    Brian Knauss
  • Jack from Indo
    edited March 2007
    what's wrong with blow up dolls?

They wear out too quick!
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited March 2007
    bknauss wrote:
    Just wait until the auto-eq units come out from Alpine and JBL... those things are getting hyped up like hell.

Are these the units with the Imprint technology?

While the many different Auto EQ units I have tried have never really sounded very good, it would be cool to give it a shot.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited March 2007
    i dont think i would try auto eq. the only way i trust it is with my rta and then my ears.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • 1996blackmax
    edited March 2007
    One of the things I like about my HU is that it allows me to see the frequency response inside my car and points me in the right direction.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • bknauss
    edited April 2007
    Are these the units with the Imprint technology?

While the many different Auto EQ units I have tried have never really sounded very good, it would be cool to give it a shot.

Alpine is the Imprint (sounds more like a buzz word since its a system that Audessy help implement).
    Don't know exactly what the JBL is using. I think its based off of some pro audio piece.
    Brian Knauss
  • 1996blackmax
    edited April 2007
    I plan on trying out the Alpine HU with this feature :).
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin