2252B restoration and speaker rqmts

Options
apc
apc Posts: 779
edited March 2007 in Vintage Speakers
NOTE - This thread could go in a couple of different areas. This is my best guess as to the most appropriate.

Looking for record cleaning supplies, I discovered a local engineer who specializes in vintage audio. He was able to replace all lamps, thoroughly clean and test and straighten a bent corner on the faceplate. He told me the unit was in very good condition for it's age and had been well cared for prior to my acquisition. He advised that all of the electrolytics should be replaced, which would add another 14-15 years of service to the receiver. The cost would be substantial (about $350), but the performance should be better than many new comparable spec units.

On another note, we discussed my turntable and speakers. He mentioned a pair of Dynaco A25's he had for sale after refurb ($300). Any experiences with them out there?

I am also looking at a demo set of LSi9 Polks ($600), but am told the 52wpc Marantz may not be a good match. This model may require more power to perform to it's full potential. Opinions on power rqmts?

FYI - currently driving Polk RT25 bookshelves in a 12x12 room with this setup. Sounds good to me, but always open to suggestions.
Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
Post edited by apc on

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Hi APC, the Marantz 2252B is a very nice receiver. I don't recommend spending that kind of money to replace the electronics. A lot of vintage receivers have capacitors replaced. However, if you can't do it yourself it can be very costly to do. If it sounds good now, don't worry about it. You can buy a heck of a vintage receiver for $325. Good luck!
    Carl

• specialidiot
    specialidiot Posts: 44
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Unless there is a problem with your 2252b, don't bother with the caps just yet. As schwarcw stated, you can get a dang nice vintage marantz for $325 that's already recapped and serviced.

$300 for a pair of A25's is way high. There is a local pickup only on that auction site for 2 pair of reconditioned A25's that you could watch to get an idea of a fair price.

And lots of speakers will work well with the Marantz. I have a 2238b that sounds wonderful with any of my Polks. My 1060 seems to be perfectly matched to KLH Model 17's that I bought for $22 plus around $10 for parts to recap them.

I suggest surfing over to audiokarma.org to see what folks are using with their systems. A25's are a favorite of many over there (I've never heard them).

Be patient, read, and decide. Just don't pay too much!
    Kitchen: NAD 7220PE, Polk Mini-Monitor
    Home Office:Bottlehead S.E.X, Fostex FE127E in custom enclosures, Grado SR80
    Polks: 7B, Mini Monitor
    Mancave: Yamaha B-2, C-2a, CD-2, T-1, Bottlehead FP3, Thorens TD165c
    Project:KLH 17 Rebuild
    Ruined by DHL: Ming Da MC84-b (modded)
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I personally would want more power with the LSi series, the Marantz is stable a 4 ohm. The RTi series would sound great with the vintage Marantz as they tend to sound a little "warm" and should counter the "detailed" sound of the RTi series very nicely.

Now if you had a Marantz 2285B or 2500/2600, I'd say that there would be no problem with the LSi's.
    Carl

• capecodder
    capecodder Posts: 613
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Agree with all comments above. Those prices seem way high.
  • apc
    apc Posts: 779
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I am not familiar with pricing on this equipment, so it really pays to post and receive answers from folks like you. Bottom line is that I am satisfied with my setup, but we all know there is bigger, better and faster. I am most appreciative of your advice to not re-cap the Marantz yet. That's an expense I had not anticipated. Now it's time to clean up some old records.
    Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.