Story to make you smile: Golden retriever performs "Heimlich maneuver" on owner

Danny Tse
Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
From Yahoo News
CALVERT, Md. - Toby, a 2-year-old golden retriever, saw his owner choking on a piece of fruit and began jumping up and down on the woman's chest. The dog's owner believes the dog was trying to perform the Heimlich maneuver and saved her life.

Debbie Parkhurst, 45, of Calvert told the Cecil Whig she was eating an apple at her home Friday when a piece lodged in her throat. She attempted to perform the Heimlich maneuver on herself but it didn't work. After she began beating on her chest, she said Toby noticed and got involved.

"The next think I know, Toby's up on his hind feet and he's got his front paws on my shoulders," she recalled. "He pushed me to the ground, and once I was on my back, he began jumping up and down on my chest."

That's when the apple dislodged and Toby started licking her face to keep her from passing out, she said.

"I literally have pawprint-shaped bruises on my chest. I'm still a little hoarse, but otherwise, I'm OK," Parkhurst said.

"The doctor said I probably wouldnt be here without Toby," said Parkhurst, a jewelry artist. "I keep looking at him and saying 'Youre amazing.'"
Post edited by Danny Tse on

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2007
    I heard that this morning on the news. GOOD DOG TOBY!!!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2007
    What a crock.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited March 2007
    Same dog that would have eventually ate her corpse had she died. :)
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited March 2007
    He was probably just trying to eat his owner.
    Or steal something. Or spend his gov'ment check on lottery tix and smokes.
    Dogs really piss me off.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited March 2007
    Demi... that's freaky. Stop reading my mind.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited March 2007
    That's so crazy..he was really just trying to tell her that Timmy was trapped in a well.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited March 2007
    HA!!

Or trapped in her stomach.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited March 2007
    The dog probably saw that she was in distress and decided to "off" her by knocking her down the stairs. When that didn't work, he decided to kill her by collapsing her lungs by jumping up and down on her chest. When she seemed to get better because of this, he thought "oh crap, if she thinks I was actually trying to kill her, I'm taking a one way trip to the vet" so he started "kissing" her to suck up.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited March 2007
    All these dogs are spilling across our border. Stealing all of our jobs. Burning our flags. Destroying property values across the board. Getting a free ride. All while my taxes go to paying for their lazy asses. Next dog I see... I swear I'm spitting in his face.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited March 2007
    You guys ever hear of " Mans best friend "?
    Of coarse thats second to Rosie Palm and her 5 sisters.:;) :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2007
    I've concluded we're all pessimists. :p
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited March 2007
    All these dogs are spilling across our border. Stealing all of our jobs. Burning our flags. Destroying property values across the board. Getting a free ride. All while my taxes go to paying for their lazy asses. Next dog I see... I swear I'm spitting in his face.
    Stupid fur backs!!:mad:
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited March 2007

They even disrespect us so much as to deficate in our yards and expect US to clean it up! Can you imagine!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited March 2007
    Not for nothing, but if my dog jumps on me, knocks me over and jumps up and down on my chest so as to leave paw-print bruises...........if I wake up I am kicking that litlle **** right across the room on principle alone.;)

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited March 2007
    Damn, my Jack Russell Terrorist, not only weighs only 17 lbs, she's also got a bad back leg, so she can't jump. Guess I'm **** out of luck if I begin to choke in front of her.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited March 2007
    ND13 wrote:
    Damn, my Jack Russell Terrorist, not only weighs only 17 lbs, she's also got a bad back leg, so she can't jump. Guess I'm **** out of luck if I begin to choke in front of her.

Just imagine my 78 lbs Old English Sheepdog doing the Hiemlich maneuver on me :eek:
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2007
    He was probably trying to mount her.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2007
    I think the fact that the dog was smoking a cigarette when Paramedics arrived, speaks volumes to me.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited March 2007
    LOL! They were probably prison cigs... like Pall Malls or hand-rolled floor shavings.
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2007
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited March 2007
    He drinks toilet bowl hooch straight from the toilet...
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited March 2007
    Mine only smokes Cubans. He likes to unwind after banging the neighbors poodle.
    V