CS400i Center Channel Wiring

Options
wrich22
wrich22 Posts: 36
edited March 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I just aquired a pair of CS400i's, and have ordered polyproplene capacitors for the crossovers. I plan to use one above the TV {40" Sony HDTV }and one below the TV, for the Center Channel. My side speakers are SDA-SRS's bi-amped with two pooged DH-500's.

My question is how should I wire the center channel speakers, they have bi-amping capability.

I have two Pooged DH-220's. What would be the best configuration, both are convertable to bridged mono. These are the options I am toying with.

1. Use one mono bridged DH-220 to drive each speaker.

2. Use one stereo DH-220 to biamp each speaker

3. Use one Stereo DH-220 to drive both Tweeters using both channels and one Stereo DH-220 to drive the woofers using both channels.

4 Also I have another DH-500 that I could use to drive both speakers

Which would yield the best sound? Any Advice would be appreciated

Thanks,

Bill
Post edited by wrich22 on

Comments

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited March 2007
    Options
    8 ohm speakers in parallel = 4 ohms amp must be able to do 4 ohms. Running an amp to each requires you to Y cable off you receiver to give a input to each amp.

You need to narrow down what you want to do.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • wrich22
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I am not going to run any speakers in parallel. I just have two stereo amps and want to drive my two center channel speakers in the best possible way
    for the best overall sound. I have the y connectors I need

Just need to know what bi-amp set up is the best

Bill
  • engtaz
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I like 1.

engtaz
    engtaz

• wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Doh, this is easy. Set one speaker up one way and set the other speaker up another way. Listen, then pick which one you like better. Take the winner and compare it to your next scenario. When you're done report back what you find.
  • wrich22
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I am going to try each option, my intuition tells me that using each amp in bridged mono for each speaker will be the best, better than biamping. My Polyproplene capacitors will be here tomorrow and then I will start testing.
    However Bi-amping my SDA-SRS's is far better than using a bridged amp for each. Trying to common ground two bridged amps for the drivers and crossover cable was a pain and didn't work very well.

Bill
  • engtaz
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Bi-amping SRS's yes, they need more power, but I don't think the centers will sound much different being bi-amped.

engtaz
    engtaz

• Phil Dawson
    Phil Dawson Posts: 288
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I have the same speaker set-up with the mains bi-amped. I use a single stereo PSE (200+_ per side) to drive both of the centers. This solves the problem of balance between two different amps and it's plenty of power for the center as there are no where near as many drivers as in the mains. Also the source material is rarely full range at the lower extremes. Let us know what sounds best for you.
    Take care, Phil