Bose is better than Polk...

Options
Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
...at least to the guys at Consumer Reports.

In the August they rate bookshelf speakers in the $100 to $650 per pair. The ratings are based primarily on accuracy and the abillity to play bass at loud volumes with little distortion. The speakers were tested in an anechoic chamber and fed with test signals at all audible frequencies. Unfortunately, the graph for each speaker's accuracy is available online only. Here you go:

1) Pioneer S-DF3-K
2) Bose 301 Series IV
3) Cambridge Soundworks Model Six
4) BIC america Venturi DV26si
5) Infinity Entra One
6) B&W DM 602 S2
7) NHT Model 1.5
8) JBL Northridge Series N28
9) Polk Audio RT15i
10) Polk Audio RT35i
11) PSB Image 2B
12) Yamaha NS-A638
13) Mission 780
14) Bose 141
15) HTD Level Three
16) Acoustic Research Stature S-20
17) Polk Audio RT55i
18) JBL Studio Series S26
19) Cerwin Vega RL-16M
20) Infinity Interlude IL10
21) Klipsch Synergy SB-3 Monitor
22) DCM DCM6
23) KLH 911B

They also tested 3-piece systems:
1) Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble III
2) Bose Acoustimass 3 Series IV
3) Bose Acoustimass 5 Series III
4) Bose Acoustimass 3 Series III
5) Cambridge Soundworks New Ensemble II
6) Where's Polk?

Now I know why I do not use this magazine. I think they are all on crack.

Peace Out~:D
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I love how the 141 with its SINGLE 4 inch 'star' driver is ranked above the RT55i.....what a joke, the order of the list is not only WAY off base, it is incomplete (missing SEVERAL other manufacturers and models). What a friggin crock of sheeat.

Consumer reports? Wow, I thought that organization/company was out to protect people, not bend them over and give em a stiffy....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited July 2001
    Options
    accuracy and the abillity to play bass at loud volumes with little distortion

I wonder how much Bose paid the reviewer to put them near the top of the list:confused:

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Ignoring all the other BS, am I supposed to believe that the RT15i is supposed to play bass louder and with less distortion that the RT35i or 55i?.....hmmmm.....I don't know that I buy that either.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I'm glad I never bought consumer reports. This just reaffirms that I will never buy it.

I would love to know how they did their testing and what they were smoking at the time. It must have been some really good stuff based on the test results.
    No excuses!
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Ron...I was wondering how long it would be before this made it inot the Polk forum. I too am in shock at the results- especialy being an ex bose owner (hangs head low)!.

CR is pretty good on thier car reviews and their reliablity tests for cars...but that is it. Unfortunatly..there are a bunch of folks who think cR is a bible..and buy compared to their resluts ( like my parents)..

anyway.. we know what's up in the real world ... or do we...I'm not so sure now (roflmao)

Thomas:D
  • jeffeb3
    jeffeb3 Posts: 106
    edited July 2001
    Options
    A customer told me once that cr was owned by panasonic/technics/quasar. I don't know if it's true but it sure would explain somethings.

Either that or they use terrible research techniques.
  • i002492
    i002492 Posts: 14
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Well there's no accounting for taste and machines have none. You CAN'T evaluate speakers for other people. That's like someone telling me what beer to drink because of its chemical composition. What Nimrods.
    Jeff
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I think it was either the bumble bee, or the jet engine, that does not work on paper. Both technologies seem to operate fine in day to day applications, they just don't work on paper. Moral of the story.... Don't listen to paper.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I have to say, while being into high-end bicycles and building my own, I read bicycle mags too. I don't read C.R., but I do pick up a rare issue to read an occasional joke, er.. report, when someone points out a paticularly funny one. (Pointed out in bike mags.) I know fine machines and to C.R., a passing grade road bike is one that weighs 35lbs, not 19-22 and has huge bubble-gum welds, not small, neat, barely visable ones, etc., etc.. It's a freakin joke!

At any rate, I don't follow the publication, but I am aware that even if they do know how to properly test and read their findings perhaps for somethings, they sure don't know it all. Nor are they capable of conducting proper tests, using proper judgement, and coming up with worthwhile results and conclusions for everything they do.
  • i002492
    i002492 Posts: 14
    edited August 2001
    Options
    So are you saying that buying High end equipment (stereos, bicycles, automobiles) is actually DIFFERENT from buying a toaster oven :^).
    Jeff
  • mark k. anderson
    mark k. anderson Posts: 18
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Consumer Reports is quite possibly the biggest waste of ink and paper on the planet. I would bet that "Cosmo" has better insight into home audio electronics than this rag.

CR is a periodic tribute to the laziness and stupidity of a vast number of American consumers. It panders to the idiotic masses who do not wish to think for themselves. Simply put, this magazine is an embarrassment.

Toyota makes the most reliable cars, Pioneer the best sounding speakers, Kleenex the softest tissue, blah blah blah. It's like they pick the most popular brands that mid-income people buy, that have quality stereotypes based on the mindless opinions of their readership, and then tout that in their lame-**** findings. They spoon feed statistics to their subscribers that are derived from data given to them in part by their subscribers. Least trouble reports, customer satisfaction ratings, etc. It's the central database of an un-enlightened collective.

Lazy person "A" is going to buy a Honda no matter what. They subscribe to CR only to prove to others that their new car had the highest rating. It makes lazy person "A" feel better about their own purchase, that they are smarter. So much so, that you'll even find copies of CR littering the coffee table in lazy person "A"'s house.

The best way to get me to laugh out loud is to begin a serious statement with "I read in Consumer Repor..."

mka
  • George Grand
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Okay, where have YOU been hiding? The last week or two around here, it's like there's a giant sign in the sky that reads, "All insufferable fools are welcome at Polk Forum!" Now this, this... breath of fresh air!

Great line,
    "Central database of an un-enlightened collective."

Have you seen Darrin's remote? Or Mad Max?
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Hey guys,
    I have been off searching for Darrins remote for the past few months.
    Bad news: It is not to be found.
    Even worse news: I'm back.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • mark k. anderson
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I was out drifting for a year, and haven't been very active in the Polk forum. Thankfully, they finally removed my "featured system" from the site-- I was annoying me [sic].

Seriously, I despise Consumer Reports mostly because of how it keeps people from educating themselves. "Oh look, honey, CR says that this brand of tampon is more absorbent and more comfortable than your brand. You should buy these."

"Yes, dear, and you would know a lot about tampons wouldn't you?"

Ugh. CR = cotton candy

mka
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited August 2001
    Options
    hows that sunfire amp sounding?

scott:cool:
  • dhmac
    dhmac Posts: 7
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I've read that Consumer Reports once gave Bose speakers a bad rating and Bose sued them. Of course, Bose lost this frivolous lawsuit, but the money CR had to waste in legal fees burnt them enough that they will now not write anything bad about Bose. Although it seems the smart thing to do would be to not rate Bose speakers at all, like a lot of other audio magazines do.

Here's some anti-Bose websites that also mention this CR lawsuit:

- http://www.geocities.com/trustnoho/boseframes.html
    - http://www.geocities.com/m_churches/speaker.htm (scroll to the bottom)
    - http://home.earthlink.net/~busenitz/bs.html
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I wouldn't wipe my feet with that magazine. If I listened to them I wouldn't have bought that American piece of crap that I drive. I guess since I haven't had any trouble with it, that's a bad thing.
  • George Grand
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I have two "Sharks". "The Shark", white, '87, Chevy Caprice Brougham LS, 305 V8, 198k mileage, and "The Gray Shark", battleship gray, '86, Caprice Brougham, 305 V8, 90k mileage. Awesome vehicles! "The Shark", just hauls ME around, and gets 26mpg without the air on. The air works fine, but I never used it consistently on a major outing.
    "The Gray Shark" is a friggin' animal! I just took it on vaca down to The Smokies and back. 75mph, UPHILL, BLOWING past lesser vehicles, 2 adults, 2 kids, 150lbs of fuel (26 gal tank times 6.5lbs per gal), FULL trunk of luggage, 27 miles to the gallon. I just got this car about a year and a half ago. I wanted another "Shark" in the driveway to use for work everyday, and save The Shark for special occasions. I had me eye on the gray job, as I had seen it around campus, and the exterior was immaculate. As soon as I approached the owner and heard the **** accent, I knew right then and there I HAD to get that car. Meticulous with regular maintenance the Gestapo is. Finally got it, at 78k miles, right after a major tune-up, brake job, and four new tires. Cost me $3,500. My children were the first people to ever sit in the back seat, and nothing had ever been placed in the trunk.

Both of them are the ULTIMATE ginzomobiles for driving with the window down, a head full of grease, and a South Brooklyn Guinea T-Shirt (wife beater). It's truly the little things in life

I'm running out to buy an SUV or some foreign rollerskate.

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I hope you had a good family outing....

The beautiful (albeit bruised) Wendi says hello as does Big Flo. If ever you decide to part with one of the Sharks, I would like first dibs before the friggin Smithsonian gets wind of it.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • George Grand
    edited August 2001
    Options
    You can see them live and in person during your visit. I want to get the headliners replaced on both of them. My regards to the ladies as well.

• mark k. anderson
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by George Grand
    I have two "Sharks". "The Shark", white, '87, Chevy Caprice Brougham LS, 305 V8, 198k mileage, and "The Gray Shark", battleship gray, '86, Caprice Brougham, 305 V8, 90k mileage. Awesome vehicles! "The Shark", just hauls ME around, and gets 26mpg without the air on. The air works fine, but I never used it consistently on a major outing.
    "The Gray Shark" is a friggin' animal! I just took it on vaca down to The Smokies and back. 75mph, UPHILL, BLOWING past lesser vehicles, 2 adults, 2 kids, 150lbs of fuel (26 gal tank times 6.5lbs per gal), FULL trunk of luggage, 27 miles to the gallon. I just got this car about a year and a half ago. I wanted another "Shark" in the driveway to use for work everyday, and save The Shark for special occasions. I had me eye on the gray job, as I had seen it around campus, and the exterior was immaculate. As soon as I approached the owner and heard the **** accent, I knew right then and there I HAD to get that car. Meticulous with regular maintenance the Gestapo is. Finally got it, at 78k miles, right after a major tune-up, brake job, and four new tires. Cost me $3,500. My children were the first people to ever sit in the back seat, and nothing had ever been placed in the trunk.

Both of them are the ULTIMATE ginzomobiles for driving with the window down, a head full of grease, and a South Brooklyn Guinea T-Shirt (wife beater). It's truly the little things in life

I'm running out to buy an SUV or some foreign rollerskate.

too funny.

mka
  • George Grand
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Thank you, I'll be appearing here all week. Every word was true.