am/fm car antenna?

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited August 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I replaced the stock head unit in my xb and the radio reception sucks. Stuck a piece of a coat hanger in the connector and it picked up like a champ. Either I damaged the car antenna cable, pulled it loose or whatever and don't want to mess with it. It is one of those glass mounted things, probably not much good anyway. Any suggestions for an antenna I could mount on the vehicle that would look good? Can't seem to find much info...

Thanks!
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2007
    Run down to Autozone and pick one up.

I put one on my Suzuki Samurai I owned about 10 years ago. However, I dont know how big of a chore it would be to mount one on there. Running the wire was pretty straight forward in the Samurai. It may be a major ordeal in your Xb.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • pentavolvo
    pentavolvo Posts: 68
    edited March 2007
    You said the antenna is built into the windshield, which means it most likely is amplified meaning a signal needs to be sent to the antenna to power up, is the power antenna wire in your harness hooked up. Also check out scionlife or scioncaraudio forums they know there stuff
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2007
    The wire-in-the-windshield antennas are notorious for having spotty reception at best. They have admittedly gotten better over the years but they are still not nearly as good as the aerial kind of antenna.

However, if it is amplified and you don't have any power going to it, your antenna will only be as long as the distance from your radio to the ground point where than amplifier is grounded. If that is shorter than the typical 2-3 feet needed for FM signal reception then you will get poor reception.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2007
    pentavolvo wrote:
    it most likely is amplified meaning a signal needs to be sent to the antenna to power up

This is quite helpful! I never thought of it being amplified. I did not hook up any power connections for the antenna. I thought it was quite odd the original unit had reasonable reception while this one did in my other vehicle but not this one.
    Thanks!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2007
    My Audi(2003) has an in-glass antenna and it's rock solid. I wish they were more common. Everytime I do radio work I wonder why they don't make the antenna cable 2 inches longer.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2007
    costs money -- that's all impedance matched cable. i'm not saying its expensive (because it's not) but it certainly costs significantly more than 2 inches of plain old 20 awg. ... save 12 cents on 50,000 cars and you just got yourself a six sigma green belt project for 6 grand and probably saved your job.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 915
    edited August 2008
    Everytime I do radio work I wonder why they don't make the antenna cable 2 inches longer.

I hear you on that. I can't even remember how many car audio systems I installed and the antenna cable was always almost too short.