Custome engagement rings

JoshParsons84
JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
Hey everybody. My girlfriend (well for all intents and purposes she's my fiance) wants to customize her engagement ring by taking out the diamond and putting in her birthstone. Does anybody know of a good site to go to that I could have her ring done like that? I told her that we might have to have it done at a jewelry store but she said "no it has to be customized." So I'm guessing that means I have to get it done online.
Post edited by JoshParsons84 on

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited March 2007
    Get a yesterday, today, and forever setting(diamond in the middle, Small stone on each side) style ring setting, put her birth stone on one side of the diamond, yours on the other. Don't forget to tell her it was your idea!!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited March 2007
    sucks2beme wrote:
    Get a yesterday, today, and forever setting(diamond in the middle, Small stone on each side) style ring setting, put her birth stone on one side of the diamond, yours on the other. Don't forget to tell her it was your idea!!
    Now that is a sweet idea.....
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited March 2007
    Hey everybody. My girlfriend (well for all intents and purposes she's my fiance) wants to customize her engagement ring by taking out the diamond and putting in her birthstone. Does anybody know of a good site to go to that I could have her ring done like that? I told her that we might have to have it done at a jewelry store but she said "no it has to be customized." So I'm guessing that means I have to get it done online.

What's up LSI?! How ya been buddy?

The yesterday, today, and forever sounds like the way to go. Good Idea sucky :D
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• JoshParsons84
    edited March 2007
    Hey could you please not call me LSi? My name is Josh.
  • JoshParsons84
    edited March 2007
    But I guess I might not live that down, huh?
  • JoshParsons84
    edited March 2007
    Well the only thing sucky, is she just wants her birthstone...that's it. She dont want a diamond in the middle of it or anything. She just wants one stone in the middle of the ring and that's her birthstone. And that's all she wants. I dont know how I'm gonna get this done.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited March 2007
    Im pretty sure if you go to a jewler that can do that for you. Go to where you bought the ring and see if he can do it or recomend where to go.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited March 2007
    I would just go to a local dealer. You will save a ton of money and the stone will look much better if you get a created stone. (still a real stone, just grown in a lab so there are few if any imperfections)

My wife just got a new wedding ring and had her birthstone put into her original ring. (the diamond from her original was put into the new setting) Cost for putting her birthstone in was about $300 including the stone and labor. You may have issues with them getting the diamond out if they have to bend prongs and such to remove it. (The strength of the head may be compromised and need to be replaced - that would cost a little more)

Good luck - just ask around at work (usually ladies) to find a good jeweler in your area. It really is an art form and if you go to a bad one, it could look like crap and the stone could fall out. Go to a good jeweler, and it will look like the ring was made that way and you won't have any worries.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited March 2007
    Uh, jewelry stores will do custom work, just ask them. My wifes rings are from Ben Bridge jewelers and both the engagement ring and wedding band are custom. I'd recommend this route as it is MUCH easier to explain what you want face to face (drawing are also helpful). We even talked with the goldsmith personally and had him do some slight tweaks on the spot.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited March 2007
    Hey could you please not call me LSi? My name is Josh.

It's beats sucky!:p
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited March 2007
    Go to a jewelry store. Stay away from big chains and mall ones though.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited March 2007
    Any jewlery store worth spending money at can do custom work.
    Call around and go talk to them.

The only problem I can see is if the ring is not purchased from them and it is not up to their standards they may turn you away.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited March 2007
    I wouldn't send my ring out to an online place to have work done on it, and I know there's no way my wife is ups'ng hers to someplace she's never seen.

There are lots of jewelers out there that do custom stuff, and there are jewelers out there that just do custom design work. I just had something like what you're talking about done to mine at a local upscale jewler (we know the owner). I had a lost diamond replaced, the mounts reinforced (I have 4 smallish dieamonds), and 19 yrs of scratches buffed out, and it was pretty reasonably priced, all things considered.

Grab a phone book and start looking.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited March 2007
    sucks2beme wrote:
    It's beats sucky!:p

HAHA. Sorry man, couldn't resist a little fun jab there.

And LSI, it's good to see you talking common sense these days. Keep up the good show!
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited March 2007
    What is her birthstone, if you don't mind me asking?
  • JoshParsons84
    edited March 2007
    ha ha ha I dont know what her birthstone is called. I know it's green and her bday is august 23
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited March 2007
    Peridot - Same as my wifes.
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)