help with my amp please

Bloodhound50
Bloodhound50 Posts: 23
edited March 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have the Ma Audio HK-1000d amp, class x. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3474.html#
thats my amp there. i have a couple questions, does anyone have any ideas about the gain/ bass boost and low pass filter and ssf with it hooked up to my db-212 subs from polk audio? i heard my ssf shold be low at like 20 hz becuase when i open my trunk its much louder so tehre might be cancelation and clipping going on. Also what is class x? and it would seem my subs arent very loud at all unless the bass boost is cranked up but i hear people say have it down alot, and what is a lpf? what is it used for? like i get the concept of a hpf and having that low = more low frew is lpf opposite? do i want it up or down for more bass?
Post edited by Bloodhound50 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2007
    Bass boost should be set very low or off. The gain shouldnt be any higher than the noon position or rougly half way.

If the bass is improving a ton with the trunk open then youre getting cancellation. Try firing the subs straight back or up and see if that improves things.

Not real big on sub sonic filters. There is some logic to them - by filtering out the frequencies you cant hear like 15 Hz, it saves power from the amp for frequencies you can hear. However, the ending title theme from Star Wars has a wicked 18 Hz note that plays and is pretty cool.

A low pass filter is just what it says. It lets things pass below a certain point. Say you set it to 90 Hz, itll let everything below 90 Hz pass thru and filter out everything above that by rolling off a certain amount of db's per octave.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited March 2007
    I mentioned to use the subsonic in one of the multiple threads, mostly because of the ported enclosure (and the fact that he's toasted his subs once already).

The OP doesn't feel the db212-2 is loud enough :eek: . Hint hint. I suspect he'll be pushing his setup pretty hard, and while feeling the frequencies below 20hz is definitely a good asset, I have mental pictures of two more db 212s dying an early death, hence the suggestion.
  • Bloodhound50
    Bloodhound50 Posts: 23
    edited March 2007
    yea well i think it has a ton to do with cancellation and my trunk just being ****.
    because first off when i open the trunk its a good 4x louder and when its closed id have my remote gain at like the 3 o clock pose to hear em i can have it at the 9 o clock and have same volume and feel the bass a lot more.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2007
    You could always line the inside of your trunk with pillows. That would certainly cut down the cancellation. Of course youd get laughed at everytime you opened your trunk. :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D