Tweeter closing 1/3 of all stores

Options
2»

Comments

• TN_Polk_Lover
    TN_Polk_Lover Posts: 243
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I went to the Tweeter located in Nashville on West End Ave. (near Vanderbilt). They already had a big "Clearance" banner hanging outside the store in huge letters. There were signs everywhere saying 10 to 30% off storewide.

I talked to a couple of the sales guys there. They were both very nice to me, but you could tell that mostly what they had on their mind was where were they going to find another job. They told me that they were supposed to be open for 8 more weeks. One guy said that he would get one week's severance pay based on his short time there, but to get it, he would have to stay all the way until the end, and on top of that would have to take a pay cut, because, apparently, with the store closings they have restructured the salaries and some people are getting pay cuts.

I got the impression from them that the current stock of new stuff would not be replaced once it is gone in that 8 weeks. I would imagine, that toward the end of that 8 weeks is when you will see deals on the floor models. (They did not tell me that, I'm just guessing).

Anyway, all TVs and speakers are 10% off. Some other categories are 15% off and some others 30% off. I can't remember now what he told me about the 15 and 30.

Also, I asked him about the Hi-Fi Buys store in Nashville on Nolensville Rd. He said that Tweeter did not own that store. The Hi-Fi Buys that Tweeter bought were all in Georgia. The one in Nashville belonged to another group of stores based out of Indiana, and they were not bought when the ones in GA were.

I will probably go by there at least once a week to check for specials.
    Robert
    You are officially in the high-end of the deep-end of the top-end.

Bonus Room Over Garage:
    Toshiba 27" CRT TV
    Digital Source: Sony DVP-NS3100ES
    DVR: Panasonic DMR-ES15
    Denon 3806 AV Receiver
    - L/R Preamp out to Parasound HCA-1200 Amp
    Polk RTi70's, CSi40 Center, RTi38 Side Surrounds, RTi38 Back Surrounds

Living Room: (2ch only)
    TV: Sony KV20-FV12
    DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS715P
    Yamaha R9 Receiver Polk RTi38's
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I talked to a sales guy today. He said ALL THE DALLAS area stores are closing. Most of the Houston stores will stay open. That leaves Fry's the only RTI/LSI source around here.
    Their showroom makes Tweeter's look great.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I think this sucks. I liked Tweeter.

Yeah they had bonehead salemen that generally knew a whole lot less than I did, but they still carried very good products. JL Audio, Focal, Alpine, Polk SR, Pioneer Elite, Martin Logan.

With them leaving, thatll leave NOWHERE within 300 miles that I can pick up or even listen to knew Polk gear. This blows big f**king time. Now, the ONLY place ANYBODY in TN, AL and GA will have access to Polk gear is the Monitor/DB line at Circuit City.

I kinda knew this would happen anyway. The market for high end gear just isnt high enough to support a big box chain retailer. Its like this guy I work with. Went out and bought a Westinghouse (yuck) LCD at BB and was just as happy as a clam. 95% of consumers out there will be perfectly happy with a Westinghouse LCD and Bose HTiaB system and the 5% of which we all belong, just dont have the purchasing power to support a big retailer like Tweeter.

I predict the entire chain will be gone before too lone.

I have a question for the Polk brass tho, with Tweeter being pretty much the sole retailer of their mid and upper end lines going **** up, is Polk going to let Circuit City carry them? I cant imagine theyre going to sit by while 2/3 of their product line is completely taken out of several states!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2007
    Options
    This is sorta the way I see it....

I think online sales (think Crutchfield) is probably going to be where it's at.

I think Tweeters' problem is that they were in a bad position. The big boxes own the low end and are attracting more and more folks that would normally shop at Tweeter. Add to that online sales continue to grow (and why not, the prices are better) and Tweeter has not gotten on that particular bandwagon. The real high end type consumer wouldn't shop at Tweeter anyway. So, I think Tweeter is dealing with a shrinking customer base and really hasn't done dick to address the main issues.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TN_Polk_Lover
    TN_Polk_Lover Posts: 243
    edited March 2007
    Options
    All 6 stores in TN are closing, and all stores in AL, but I think there will be some left in GA, at least a few in Atlanta, I think.

Robert
    Robert
    You are officially in the high-end of the deep-end of the top-end.

Bonus Room Over Garage:
    Toshiba 27" CRT TV
    Digital Source: Sony DVP-NS3100ES
    DVR: Panasonic DMR-ES15
    Denon 3806 AV Receiver
    - L/R Preamp out to Parasound HCA-1200 Amp
    Polk RTi70's, CSi40 Center, RTi38 Side Surrounds, RTi38 Back Surrounds

Living Room: (2ch only)
    TV: Sony KV20-FV12
    DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS715P
    Yamaha R9 Receiver Polk RTi38's
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I got my letter today that Tweeter (Sound Advice) is closing it's West Kendall store here in Miami. They also sent me a 10% off coupon....Now maybe if it were 50% I would be motivated...
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited March 2007
    Options
    States that Tweeter will keep 22 stores open out of 23 in Florida. Is this considered the one? Are Sound Advice considered Tweeter here in Florida? I know they are the same owners.

Another way of stating this are there Tweeter stores in Florida called Tweeter not Sound Advise?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited March 2007
    Options
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    States that Tweeter will keep 22 stores open out of 23 in Florida. Is this considered the one? Are Sound Advice considered Tweeter here in Florida? I know they are the same owners.

Another way of stating this are there Tweeter stores in Florida called Tweeter not Sound Advise?
    I guess that's the one. I don't think that there are "Tweeter"s in Fl. They are just Sound Advice.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Thanks Darla I was thinking the same, just asked to get your feeling also on the name thing here in Florida.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Tweeter has been good once to me. Got my Denon DVD-3800 for $299. Can't say much for the store, its demo rooms or employees though... Our local Fryes has a MUCH better demo room for the Polk LSi series.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050