how do i find out what my enclosure is tuned at?

Bloodhound50
Bloodhound50 Posts: 23
edited March 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
How do I determine the tuning freq of my enclosure?
Post edited by Bloodhound50 on

Comments

• michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited March 2007
    For in room frequency tune tests I run a free program called Room EQ Wizard. All you need is an spl meter, the program and preferably a laptop (desktop works too... harder to place). Just run some tests and check out what the ±3dB point sits at.

Link to the program
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited March 2007
    If you're referring to the db212-2, the easiest way would be to call Polk customer service.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2007
    .... on a side note, if its not a ported box, then it's not tuned.

if it is a ported box, then the driver that is in it and the box build (dimensions, port length, diameter) will come together to form the tuning frequency ((actually you choose a tuning frequency and then design those parameters to meet it)).

if its prefabbed, then ya, call the mfg. if you made it yourself and you don't know what its tuned at, then you have to build a new box because you just screwed yourself
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2007
    You could find the resonance frequency with a dB meter and a sine wave test pattern that breaks out the frequency. Like the old bass CD's. In most cases, the loudest frequency is usually your tuned frequency or one that is at least fairly close to it.

However, PBD is right. Vented enclosures (includes almost any order of band-pass) are tuned enclosures. Sealed enclosures are not really tuned. The only way to tell what your sealed enclsoure would be "tuned" to without REALLY expensive testing equipment is do get a dB meter and a sine wave pattern disc and find the frequency that is the loudest. That will be your resonant frequency. That should also be the point at which your enclosure will start dropping off in frequency response.

I think that's how it went. It's been a loooooong time since I messed with that stuff and I really should research it better to refresh my memory but I'm short on time right now. So if I'm off, don't anybody jump down my throat for it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!