For those of you thinking about quitting smoking...

Shizelbs
Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
I have a few patients that are on the new smoking cessation drug Chantix. They are reporting some pretty good results. Just today I spoke to one person that normally smokes three packs a day, and has been for about 25 years. After being on the medication for less than a week and not yet at the goal dose (still in the warm-up stage), they are already down to one pack per day. They have called the change to be effortless.

I realize their results aren't necessarily what everyone can expect, but I was pretty impressed.

Just food for thought.

What does a pack of cigarettes cost these days anyways?
Post edited by Shizelbs on

Comments

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited March 2007
    By me its just around 6 bucks a pack. I used the Nicoderm patch to quit but my boss used the Chantix. The only weird side effect with both of them though is you get some wierd **** dreams while your on the meds. I had to rip the patch off before i went to bed but if you on the pill there is no escaping it. By the way I hit 60 days smoke free tomorrow. I know there were a few others that quit recently as well hope they are all doing good and have not relapsed.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2007
    I'd gladly take weird dreams if it was going to save my life and $12 per day.
  • Fireman32
    edited March 2007
    I agree. I will add another note. I smoked a pack plus a day for just over 23 years. I tried quitting countless time and lasted a week or two and then went back for one reason or another. Even though the Chantix helps you have to really want to quit. This time around I just said one day that I didn't want to smoke anymore and just stopped. I was supposed to be on the patch for 10 weeks but stopped after 2 as I felt I did not need it anymore. I attribute this to really wanting to quit this time and not to make my friends or family happy. If you really want to quit you can do it.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited March 2007
    It was 6 weeks this past Saturday that I quit cold turkey...no drugs, etc. I've smoked for over 20 years, too. I just keep telling myself...."$1500 a year"... Ok, that and my health of course. But for a smoker, you have to put a monetary value on it. I feel better that's for sure. I haven't really gained any weight so far. It works opposite with me. If I was to eat something, I would want a cigarette afterwards. The less I'm eating, the less the crave.

So far so good. Good luck to all that can do it. It's nothing but good for you. There is no bad side to quitting.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • Neskahi
    Neskahi Posts: 297
    edited March 2007
    If you made it this far you are doing great ! Maybe take that $1500.00
    that is saved per year and buy those SDA SRS 2.3's on E-bay.
    There are 5 hours left on the auction. They are at $1400.00 now. wow
    SDA 2.3/RDO's... xovers by Ben
    SDA 2.3TL/Stock..
    SDA 1C/Solens/RDO's [gave to my Uncle]
    SDA 2B RDO's
    Snell Type CV
    SDA 1.2TL's
    GFA7700 Adcom
    GFP750 Adcom
    TFM55X Carver
    M90 Pioneer/C90 Pre
    M91 x 2 Pioneers/C91 Pre
    Yaqin MC10l
    DCD-1520/1560/2560 Denon
    Marantz DVD-8400
    Carver m1.5T
    DV-79avi Pioneer
    TFM35X x 2
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited March 2007
    eff quiting, beer and booze and a smoke are great

feaking quiters :)
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2007
    60 days for me was on the 15th.. I used Walgreen's gum. My wife is still smoking and makes it tough, but this time it's for good.

Congrats Fireman and avguytx ;)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited March 2007
    Buy George's 2.3's or htrookie's 3.1's. Thats way I call a quit smoking payout.

Congratulation and best of luck,
    engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2007
    I was hoping to start smoking this month but I'll guess I'll wait and see what happens to you guys.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Fireman32
    edited March 2007
    HTrookie wrote:
    60 days for me was on the 15th.. I used Walgreen's gum. My wife is still smoking and makes it tough, but this time it's for good.

Congrats Fireman and avguytx ;)

And congrats to you as well! :D
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited March 2007
    Congrats to those who conquered.

Just want to add that the Nicorette Gum works. Again, like it was mentioned earlier, you have to want to quit.

I was on the gum before and was able quit for about 9 months. I used the gum for about 2 months.
    It was stupid of me to have that "first" cigarette again. I was hanging out with an old buddy of mine and thought, ah what the hell, I'll just have one. Next thing you know, I'm back to smoking 2 packs a week again. Tried to quit again a few months back and only lasted 2 weeks. Still smoking right now and not sure when I'll be ready again.

I'm telling you guys, if you're able to quit, STAY CLEAN. It only takes one to start again.
  • Ricardo
    edited March 2007
    organ wrote:
    It only takes one to start again.

True; I quit for 6 months 18 months ago and one day I had that "only one"; wrong move; I think that when I started again I was smoking even more than before.

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited March 2007
    Can't really say I'm smoking more than before, but the urge to have a smoke when the cravings kick in is definitely stronger.

Are you planning to quit again?
  • Ricardo
    edited March 2007
    Me? 64 days smoke free :) After starting again I thought I would never quit; the truth is, I love smoking :rolleyes:

SOPA
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited March 2007
    Congrats to all you quitters! I hope that you can stay smoke free!

Here's to your health!
    Carl

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2007
    Wow, what an inspirational thread for quitters everywhere! It's moving me to tears!

I'll think I'll head over to the Human Resources dept at school in the morning and drop all of my classes!

:p
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • avguytx
    edited March 2007
    engtaz wrote:
    Buy George's 2.3's or htrookie's 3.1's. Thats way I call a quit smoking payout.

Congratulation and best of luck,
    engtaz
    That's George's that are on the Bay, right? I thought about hitting the button. If George wold give me a couple of weeks...I'd be good to go. That way, it doesn't come out of my regular funds! lol
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • avguytx
    edited March 2007
    Don't think I wouldn't love one about now as I am drinking a bourbon and coke. It's hard. I will still have one on occasion but the last one I had about made me pass out. That was weird. But not wasting the money on them like I was before it a good thing.
  • Fireman32
    edited March 2007
    I can say that the cravings have dissapeared for the most part. Today I had the urge for one but then just popped a piece of gum in my mouth and all is well. I have realized that I will probably never completly get rid of the urges to smoke I just have to stay strong. Also have somthing to keep in your hands to play with to stop the physical urges such as a straw or a pencil.
  • avguytx
    edited March 2007
    I "chew" on toothpicks like they are going out of style! lol. I guess it's anything that keeps me from thinking about it or at least that can take the place of it.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited March 2007
    dorokusai wrote:
    I was hoping to start smoking this month but I'll guess I'll wait and see what happens to you guys.

LOL!!!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,570
    edited March 2007
    I have to admit, I was clean for about 2-1/2 weeks up until a week ago. Got around a bunch of friends drinking and playing poker and like Organ said, "Oh, I'll just have one", should have never touched it again. Now, I'm not smoking near as much as I was, it used to be a pack a day and I've got it down to about 5 a day. I think the thing that was the worst for me wasn't the first week of trying to quit, that was pretty easy, the second week seemed to be the worst, not near as many cravings but when I did get them, they seemed to be 10 times as bad which is probaly what pushed me over the edge. Like everyone has said over and over again, you have to want to quit to make it work.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • Ricardo
    edited March 2007
    If I could smoke 2 or 3 a day I would be smoking.

SOPA
  • PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited March 2007
    You guy's that quit or are trying, congratulations!, my younger brother smokes and one day I know it may get him. My mom-in-law 87 tells me about her father, a smoker coughed so hard he would pass out, get up off the floor then fire up another one.

Oh well.
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited March 2007
    HTrookie wrote:
    True; I quit for 6 months 18 months ago and one day I had that "only one"; wrong move; I think that when I started again I was smoking even more than before.

That is probably due to the fact that major cigarettes manufacturers in the past year or so have increased the nicotine by around 20% if I am remembering correctly.. Im sure you could "Google" it and find out.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited March 2007
    man am I happy I only pay a $2.01 for two packs out the door.