Computer won't boot?

disneyjoe7
disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
Sorry new problem, maybe screwed on this one.

IDE Primary Slave Sony DVD RW
IDE Secondary Master IDE HD small 10gig used for data backup

IDE Third Master SATA 250gig drive primary windows drive

DirecTV Tivo in bedroom HD was failing maybe a bad drive error? Should know better to run Tivo without an UPS. I have a restore CD disk for Tivo for that model. I needed to low format that drive first so I disconnected all HD's from my computer and redid LF of drive 5+ hours later... Turned off and rebooted with this Tivo redo disk, boots Linux and ask a few questions and we're off. When done ask to turn off remove drive and whatever, did this and Tivo runs ok. Now my computer won't boot all is connected and showing up ok, but I get this message "Remove disks or other media / Press any key to restart"

The only other thing I can say when the Tivo HD was done the CD drive wouldn't open to remove this Linux boot disk, I forgot that and connected other drives reboot and never opened Linux but did have that message above. I then removed CD but nothing changed. Is this where I screwed myself? :eek:

:confused::confused::confused:

Speakers
Carver Amazing Fronts
CS400i Center
RT800i's Rears
Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
Parasound Halo A23
Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
Pioneer 79Avi DVD
Sony CX400 CD changer
Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Post edited by disneyjoe7 on

Comments

• disneyjoe7
    edited March 2007
    Well I tried something in Bios I turned off the small 10gig which is really a 6gig drive, and it booted I'm on it now.

Now too add second drive and see what happens? :D

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited March 2007
    Second drive running all is ok....

So what happen and why is the question?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited March 2007
    I'm not a Linux guy, but I remember from way back that every drive had be mounted before you could get to it; did you give it a letter and location during the "add" process? :confused:
  • disneyjoe7
    edited March 2007
    I believe you're correct by mounting / unmounting thing. I have what is called an "Instant Cake" CD which is a bit idiot proof, as long as you setup the computer up right first. CD drive must be Primary Slave, HD must be secondary master for 1 drive system / secondary slave for 2 drive systems.
    It boots all this Linux boot info fly's past, it comes up with 1 question is the a 1 or 2 disk system. Then states Cake in Oven % done then done. It designed for a virgin drive non formatted drives which you lost the original drive software or you wish to keep the original drive as a backup. I had this software disk as the original drive died without warning, but it works like a charm.

As with any other Tivo hecks in the past I needed to mount and unmount drive.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer