MAGNEPLANAR Loud Speakers Model MGII A

dudeinaroom
dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
on the bay If I had the money, and lived down there they would be mine about 24 hours left.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260096338651&rd=1&rd=1
Post edited by dudeinaroom on

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited March 2007
    Very decent BIN price!

I have a friend with the IIIA's. Nice airy sound with great detail. These don't do well in large rooms as the image quickly goes out of focus. It also lacks the bass that most people want at high volumes. For low level listening in a smaller room, these sound very nice. They love power!
    Carl

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited March 2007
    What's wrong here no one bid on those? Not a good model? What?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited March 2007
    it's still early
  • disneyjoe7
    edited March 2007
    Less Then 23 hours to go, still early?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited March 2007
    Not a bad starter set and pretty good for the $$$ but there are MUCH better models out there.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2007
    They aren't worth $450....maybe 350. I stay away from vintage Magnepans unless I can inspect them throughly and get a demo. You can demo brand new MMG's for $550 with a 60 day, money back guarantee...direct from the manufacturer.

James - I agree.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited March 2007
    Does the planar wear out or damaged easily? How would one compare Maggie's vs ML?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2007
    250 is about what I'd consider fair for them....

If you can get 'em cheap...cool but other than that, look for the newer models. It's not so much the ribbons themselves as the associated wiring and so forth that goes to hell over time.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2007
    I like this model when in top form BUT.....

The problem with vintage, VINTAGE Magnepan is delamination of the wiring from the membrane. This isn't an issue in modern Magnepan speakers. That was just a public safety annoucement.

I think the main difference between Mag and ML is that you don't have to vaccuum a Magnepan every couple weeks. The actual sound is subjective but I'll take Magnepan.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited March 2007
    What I heard of both of them I liked. But I would really like to hear both of them in a room together.

Thanks guys, and Doro Thanks again for the heads up "Public safety announcement"

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• jdhdiggs
    edited March 2007
    3M spray adhesive can fix most of the D-lam issues (I think the right one is in the red cap- Do some research first)

Another issue is the fuses are there for a reason and some people like to defeat the fuse (it does sound better) and then crank the volume causing wire failures in the driver itself.

Other failures are in the X-overs and a lot of exposed wires. MUG can usually guide you through any issue. If you can get them for under $300, and you're ok with saudering and taking things apart and putting them back together, then go for it. Otherwise, I'd hold out unless they go around $200.

ML vs. Maggies? Heres how I score it:

WAF: ML
    Ease of placement: ML
    Easier to drive: ML
    Floor space: ML
    Low end punch: ML

Everything else: Maggies.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2007
    Too long in the tooth, period.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited March 2007
    Interesting

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2007
    Maggie/ML?

All things being equal (in terms of equivalent models) I prefer the Maggies. ML's, especially at the lower price points and to my ears, don't integrate the ESL panel and the woofer well enough. Not terrible per se, but I'd prefer the Maggies.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • disneyjoe7
    edited March 2007
    TroyD wrote:
    Maggie/ML?

All things being equal (in terms of equivalent models) I prefer the Maggies. ML's, especially at the lower price points and to my ears, don't integrate the ESL panel and the woofer well enough. Not terrible per se, but I'd prefer the Maggies.

BDT

Being that Maggies don't have a woofer, where the ML do how can you compare them that way?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• jdhdiggs
    edited March 2007
    Maggies have woofers, they're just panels as opposed to cone based. (Otherwise mine wouldn't have a 3db point in the low 30's and the bigger ones in the mid 20's) Sticking with the same technology all the way through eases the integration.

Maybe a better way to put it is the transition from the mids to the bass sections are more transparent in the maggies.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited March 2007
    Even more interesting thanks for updating my learning curve. :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited March 2007
    The only place I've been able to listen to the newer ML's is at Tweeter where they try to drive them with a Denon receiver :confused: In that scenario I've never been impressed, but I'm guessing that it's not a fair portrayal of what they really sound like or are capable of.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC