Recommendation for a 4 channel amp.

mwh9
mwh9 Posts: 51
edited May 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I know that everyone has been here before but, I have to ask because I believe that every setup is different. I would like a recommendation for a 4 channel amp. In case it matters, this is what I have so far. Pioneer HU, Polk db6500's front, db690's rear, NO sub's. Even though these will accept 100 watts rms each pair, I do not [necessarily], I do know where the spell check button is, need that much power. Something around 50 or 60 watts rms per channel would be fine. It does need to have hi and low pass filters on both front and rear. Do not need a bass boost though. Price range, $100-$400, I am leaning toward the lower end because I don't know if adding an amp will increase the sound quality that much. I can already turn it up enough with out distortion and can't see listening to it much louder. Everything is in a Dodge Dakota standard cab, so I don't have a lot of air space to fill. I will never be adding sub's, the 6x9's did exactly what I wanted for the bass, mid bass is as low of a frequency as I need to reproduce. Thanks for any help on this matter.
Post edited by mwh9 on

Comments

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited March 2007
    Adding an outboard amplifier will increase SQ when being compared to HU power.

Sounddomain is having a sale on some of last year's gear. This Fosgate amp will give you what you are looking for. It does 60 watts x4 and it's $200 dollars. Plus it's from an authorized dealer.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/ROC06P4504
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • mwh9
    edited March 2007
    Thanks for your reply, I did take a look at the amp. I picked up a Profile HA-640 yesterday just to play with a little. I want to learn some about amps and then buy a really good 4-channel amp. I have been considering a Pioneer 4-Channel Amplifier (GM6300F), it appears to have the features that I want. Also thinking about one of Polk's amps. If the one I have now is half way decent, I could use it bi amped or as a 4-channel to push the front speakers, then get a 2-channel for the rears. Anyone reading this, please let me know what you think.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2007
    Nice grab on the Profile.

They aint that fancy but theyre very solid amps and probably the best budget amps out there.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • pentavolvo
    pentavolvo Posts: 68
    edited March 2007
    the pioneer is a great amp for the price, i grabbed the previous model 4 channel 65X4 for 50 shipped from someone on a forum i frequent used it in my boat for a while worked great now I got somethin that works better for what i need
  • mwh9
    edited March 2007
    The Profile amp only cost me $50.00 and is not bad at all. I bought it on a recommendation that I read by MacLeod, thanks. There are only 2 things that I don't like about it and they are understandable. the main thing is that it does not have the amount of power that I will eventually want, but I knew this. It is enough for now. The other thing is that the high pass filter on channel 1 and 2 does not have a complete range adjustment on it. It, however would work well if I want to use it to push my front components, 2 channels for the tweeters and 2 channels for the 6.5's. I am still looking for a 4 channel amp that is rated at around 75 to 100 rms or a good 2 channel amp that is rated in the same rms range. While I think that the Pioneer would have been a good choice, it may not have enough power for what I want. Thanks again for every one's input and any that you may have to help me with a new recommendation.

Mike
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2007
    Audiobahn is making some respectable upper-mid-grade amplifiers for rock bottom prices as well. 75x4 for 125 bucks ain't too shabby.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • mwh9
    edited March 2007
    Thanks for your recommendation, I did come across one of them that looks like it would fit my needs. it is an Audiobahn A6004V 4 channel amp 75 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms. If you or any one has had any experience, opinion on this amp let me know. Looks like it is only $154.00 on onlinecarstereo.com
  • dohcmark8
    dohcmark8 Posts: 229
    edited May 2007
    I've been using two Audiobahn A2002T amps in my van for a year now with no problems.

Audiobahn is decent... not the best, not the worst, but just decent.

I got mine on a great deal $40 new from Fry's so I jumped on them. And I do like them, they have everything I need.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2007
    same amp - better price -- 135 from ikesound
    http://ikesound.com/product-product_id/5485
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge