Algae to produce biodiesel, Algae eats CO2

venomclan
venomclan Posts: 2,467
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
http://www.greenstarusa.com/news/07-03-15.html

"Algae has been the least studied feedstock source to produce biodiesel, yet holds the greatest solution simultaneously for energy development and global warming mitigation."

Algae eats CO2, which is the biggest Global Warming Gas, and can produce up to 60 times more oil per acre than traditionally used agricultural oil crops (soybeans, corn, canola, jatropha, etc.).

Think of some of the benefits of this technology, I hope it takes off.

1. Ability to make us energy independent (this alone makes it worth whatever it costs).

2. It is renewable. My swimming pool is proof.

3. There are hundreds of potential renewable sources both natural and man made and we will have an over abundance of many of them in a few years.

4. It will create thousands of U.S. Jobs.

5. It can turn waste products into useful, clean burning fuel.

6. It will clean up many areas of the environment.
Post edited by venomclan on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited March 2007
    Interesting stuff, hope it works.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited March 2007
    This was just in our paper a few weeks ago. Interesting concept and if it works we could see it expanded to the major brewers and soda manufacturers:

"The reason carbonated beverages have their name is the bubbles of carbon dioxide that are emitted. One of the byproducts of the beer brewing process is carbon dioxide gas. Now an environmentally- conscious brewery in Fort Collins, Colorado, New Belgium Brewery is hooking up with nearby Solix Biofuels to make use of the waste CO2. The 5,000 metric tonnes of CO2 that New Belgium produces annually will be piped over to the Solix facility and pumped into their bioreactor to grow algae. The algae will then be processed into biodiesel fuel. The beauty of the normally scummy algae is that can yield up to 10,000 gallons of biodiesel per acre compared to 50 to 100 gallons per acre for soybeans. "

[Source: Rocky Mountain News]
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2007
    It won't happen anytime soon. For the same reason we buy fuel from the middle east, and crap from China. If we give them US dollars they will be our friends. If we don't supply them with money then we are more prone to attacks. It is kinda like, don't bite the hand that feeds you. We could also grow soy beans, and sugar beets. Bio fuel cost close to regular Diesel. Willie Nelson has a company that produces it, and his tour bus runs on it. Its all politics. Politics from the Latin derivative Poly= many ticks=blood suckers.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited March 2007
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited March 2007
    ben62670 wrote:
    It won't happen anytime soon. For the same reason we buy fuel from the middle east, and crap from China. If we give them US dollars they will be our friends. If we don't supply them with money then we are more prone to attacks. It is kinda like, don't bite the hand that feeds you. We could also grow soy beans, and sugar beets. Bio fuel cost close to regular Diesel. Willie Nelson has a company that produces it, and his tour bus runs on it. Its all politics. Politics from the Latin derivative Poly= many ticks=blood suckers.

I agree that politics and big oil will do all they can to stop this. There have been cars that get 80mpg since the 70's. Of coarse no one see them...I would love to see this come to fruition, not only to fix the planet, but so we can then tell the middle east to $%^& themselves and then bomb the **** out of them the next time they start crap.
    V
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited March 2007
    Those countries that get on the front end of alternative energy will be the next great economic powers, pure and simple. Why, because they hold the patent rights and will be able to license them to others.

I believe that the US must get on the front end of all forms of alternative energy. If it means private/public (gov't) consortiums, so be it. We can either spend the money now on research and development; or spend it later fighting in the energy wars of the 21st century.

BTW, New Belgium Brewery is the maker of Fat Tire, one of the very best micro brews out there, IMHO.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited March 2007
    We're currently importing over 9 million barrels (31 gallons per barrel) of crude per day. I don't think they're too worried about the impact of biodiesal even if all the brewers were in on this. :rolleyes:

It is just a nice way to take what is normally a waste product and turn it in to something useful, a heck of a lot more efficiently than soybeans or beets.

Agreed on the Fat Tire...
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2007
    can you make beer from it????

From what I know oil dollars to the mid-east are being used to fund terrorism, I suppose every little thing helps, I saw that Willie Nelson piece with the fellow truck stop owner, pretty cool stuff.

RT1