Amplifier decision

vawakemonster
vawakemonster Posts: 131
edited March 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am picking out an amplifier for my truck componnents. would it be better too get a 4 chanell but a chanel on each component and the rear two canells on my momo OR jsut buy an amp for the speakers and keep the momo on my profile amp?

I am leaning mor towards going with a second amp, if so I am trying to decide which one to buy gfor best crispness and SQ/realness. I am looking at alpine, kicker, kenwood, crossfire orion and rockford.
Dodge Dakota
HU: Pioneer
Amp: Profile AP600 & Phoenix gold r2.5:2
Speakers: Boston SX 6.5 components
Subwoofer: polk mm2104
Post edited by vawakemonster on

Comments

• mwh9
    mwh9 Posts: 51
    edited March 2007
    I have heard that using a 4 channel amp and using 2 channels for the tweeters and 2 channels for the woofers is the way to go. I personally have not tried this but, having a 4 channel amp will give you this option. This would still leave you needing an amp for the subs.
  • vawakemonster
    edited March 2007
    I have an amp for my sub, right now I removed the sub and put the amp on my speakers. I want to buy another amp to power the speakers and put my sub amp back on my sub.

So what I need is a class AB amplifier for my speakers that will gicve me the mos acurate and crisp sound. I have been told that I want the lowest THD?! is this true? what amp do I need to gow ith, I need about 60 watts RMS by 2 at 4OHMs
    Dodge Dakota
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2007
    Spell Check is your friend.

THD only means how hard the amp is driven at a given wattage. For instance, an amp that makes 50 watts at .5% THD could make 100 watts at 1% THD. Those arent precise numbers but you get the idea.

As for which amp will have the crispest sound, thats not a characteristic an amp is going to have. An amps job is to amplify the input signal and output the flattest most transparant signal possible Virtually all amps will have a ruler flat frequency response so one wont be more crisp or have tighter bass than the other.

You buy an amp for power. Like batteries for a flashlight. Will Duracels make a different color light than Energizer? No.

All the amps you listed are high quality amps that make good clean power. Find the one that has the features you like best like crossovers, bass boost and so on, that best matches your power needs and best fits in your budget.

I suggest getting a 4 channel for all 4 speakers.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2007
    MacLeod wrote:
    You buy an amp for power. Like batteries for a flashlight. Will Duracels make a different color light than Energizer? No.
    Actually, studies have shown that the different current output in different batteries have shown that power cells with a higher current make the light more blue because the wavelength of blue light is about the same as the wavelength of higher current output. In a double blind study tests proved futile because no one could see any light when theyre blind. Yea, that was all bs...I'm bored.

To the topic at hand, whats your budget and which momo series do you have?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2007
    Ya had me going there..... ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited March 2007
    exalted512 wrote:
    Actually, studies have shown that the different current output in different batteries have shown that power cells with a higher current make the light more blue because the wavelength of blue light is about the same as the wavelength of higher current output. In a double blind study tests proved futile because no one could see any light when theyre blind. Yea, that was all bs...I'm bored.

To the topic at hand, whats your budget and which momo series do you have?
    -Cody

Vewy, vewy nice... and funny :D
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited March 2007
    Get the amp that will get you the power, and features that you want. As long as it's from a reputable company you should be fine. Other things to take into account are the size of the amp, and price as well.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • vawakemonster
    edited March 2007
    I have boston SX series cocomponents 6.5 inch and a momo sub. I liked the way the bostons reproduced the sound better:o
    Dodge Dakota
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2007
    RF has a new Power series that looks very promising, extremely small footprint, but I've yet to install one so I'm not sure how good they are. I would stay away from all kenwood amps. I used to still recommend their eXcelon amps but I had one of those go bad for the same reason I've had the regular kenwood amps go bad. I refuse to recommend Kenwood to anyone now, and my shop is a dealer for it. Radios, speakers, go for it, amps...no way in hell I'd touch one of those.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it