Please stop me before I do the wrong thing

mwh9
mwh9 Posts: 51
edited March 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
This is what I have and where I want to go with it.
1992 Dodge Dakota Pickup standard cab.
Pioneer DEH-P3900MP Head Unit
Polk Audio db6500 Components up front in the doors

I had thought about replacing the rear speakers with either db570's or db690's. I do plan on adding an amp, 4 channel with about 60 to 75 watts rms. Lately I have been thinking it would be better to not use the rear speakers at all and put a sub speaker of some type in the back. The only thing that I don't want is bass that is boomy. I want the bass to be and more of a thump like a bass drum, the sound a Rickenbacker bass guitar makes, not the sound of a Fender Precision bass played by someone that is tone deaf. If this is a little confusing, listen to Yes, Roundabout, that is a Rickenbacker bass played by Chris Squire. I do not listen to rap music and will burn the truck and all if it gets played in there.
I just want good clean sound, not extra bass, just the right amount to balance with the front speakers. I guess what I am asking is would using a sub be better to achieve this or would it be better to use the 6x9's. I don't think there will be any point in doing both. Thank you for any input you may have in this matter.
Mike
Post edited by mwh9 on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited March 2007
    I added the Polk db's to the front of my Dakota. The stock speaker locations suck, unless I were to transplant my ears to my ankles, so I had to tweak the sound a little with the HU. I am pleased with the sound now. I left the crap stock speakers in the rear doors for a little midbass fill.
  • mwh9
    edited March 2007
    I still have the stock speakers in the rear, but I have the standard cab and they are in the rear corners of the cab. I am going to amp the speakers, it might be fun to watch the stock speakers fry if I didn't think it would hurt anything. They have got to go, they sound muddy. The db6500's sound good, they are components with the tweeters mounted high in the doors. I did have the db650's to start with, I know what you mean about the sound being at your feet. Thanks for the reply.
  • vawakemonster
    vawakemonster Posts: 131
    edited March 2007
    polkthug, what year do you own, did the midbass in the doors face down? I have a 2000 dakota and im looking foe ideas on improving my component preformance.

sorry to hijack the thread
    Dodge Dakota
    HU: Pioneer
    Amp: Profile AP600 & Phoenix gold r2.5:2
    Speakers: Boston SX 6.5 components
    Subwoofer: polk mm2104
  • mwh9
    edited March 2007
    Go ahead and hijack away, that's what this is all about. Any information or opinions may help someone and that is a good thing.
  • PolkThug
    edited March 2007
    polkthug, what year do you own, did the midbass in the doors face down? I have a 2000 dakota and im looking for ideas on improving my component preformance.

sorry to hijack the thread

Mine is an '01 quad cab 4x4, with what appeared to be the most basic stereo, tape player and 'full-range' speakers in each door. I added a JVC HD radio and the Polk db 6.5 coaxials.

I used the stock plastic brackets for the Polks. Hint: drill pilot holes in the hard plastic bracket.
  • PolkThug
    edited March 2007
    I added a couple little 'retaining clips' to each one.
  • mwh9
    edited March 2007
    I have a 1992 standard cab, had those db650's to start with but, replaced them with db6500 components. My interior is gray and black so the components were a perfect color match. It raised the sound stage dramatically with the tweeters mounted higher in the doors. The only thing that I don't like is that it sounds so much better that it has started me down that long slippery slope that leads you to seriously considering getting a set of sr's.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2007
    If you have a regular cab truck there is absolutely no reason to use rear speakers.

If all youre wanting is a little backbone to your music, get a single 8" sub and either build a sealed box for it or buy a premade truck box and there ya go.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • mwh9
    edited March 2007
    While I take you opinions in the highest regard, I did get a pair of 6x9's and put them in pre-made boxes. It was exactly what I was looking for. It's not so much that I needed speakers there but they did help a lot with the mid-bass. I listened to some sub's and did not like their sound. They are exactly what they are called, sub bass. Also the 6x9's can be sat on the bed of the truck or rear cab if I am camping or doing any yard work. I know this sounds a little old school but, it does work well. I buy mostly locally, so if it had not worked, I could have taken them back and got something that worked better. Thanks again for every one's input.

Mike
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2007
    If youre happy, you made the right choice.....no matter how wrong anybody says you are.

;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D