iTunes Troubles.

cmy330go
cmy330go Posts: 2,341
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
I know this is a long shot, but I'm hoping someone can help me.

The other day my wife logged on to the computer to sync her iPod, and found that suddenly there were little exclamation points next to all her songs. As most of you probably already know, that means iTunes can't find the files. In most cases this would be caused by moving or deleting of files. However all of my music is in the exact same place it has been for 3 years. Nothing has changed. The other weird thing is that under my log-in everything is fine.

Has anyone else here had this issue? If so, did you find a solution?

I've found numerous people complaining of the same issue on the iTunes forums, but seems no one, including the almighty Apple, has a fix.

PLEASE HELP! I really don't want to import all 7000 songs and then check the 3500 that she wants.
HT
Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
Post edited by cmy330go on

Comments

• m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited March 2007
    So if I caught that right, everything is okay when you log into iTunes? I have the same issue.

I think it is because iTunes preferences (iTunesPrefs.xml) are being stored in, assuming you are on XP,

c:\Documents and Settings\'username'\Application Data\Apple Computer\Itunes

It’s funny that you don't have the option to set the iTunes preferences for all users that use the machine. Perhaps that’s another ridicules security measure the claim that is needed. You will be able to manage her iPod under your login but you will have to manage her songs\playlists manually unless you want a full sync which it sounds like you don't.

I thought of trying to change the registry entries for Apple to point to another directory for user preferences but I would rather not ruin what I have as far as play count and song rating stats go.
  • cmy330go
    edited March 2007
    OK maybe I wasn't clear enough.

I have two Users setup on my computer (XP Pro). When my wife wants to sync her iPod she logs-in under her UserID, and when I need to sync mine I log-in under my UserID.

The reason we do it this way is because I like to have my entire library on my iPod and she prefers to have just her favorites. So iTunes under her log-in shows the entire library in it, but will only sync the songs she puts check marks next to. All of the music we access though is stored in the same location, and up until now it has been working just fine. Going on 3 years of doing it this way.

Does that make more sense?
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited March 2007
    Have you installed any new versions of iTunes?

More specifically, have you changed anything since it has stopped working?

Under her login, go into preferences and change the directory of the music share. Save it, and then change it back. I'm sure you have tried this but it is the only thing that comes to mind.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2007
    cmy330go wrote:
    Does that make more sense?

How odd...I never have check marks or exclamation points next to the songs on my CDs or LPs. :p
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • cmy330go
    edited March 2007
    m00npie,

You're right. I have already tried that.

Shack,

Hardy Har Har:cool:
    HT

2 CH
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited March 2007
    not sure if this will be of any help. I downloaded an itunes update last week and when i went to sync my ipod everything froze. I went into task manager and stopped itunes and then reopend it up hoping it would pick up where it left off. Instead it was trying to reinstall itunes and then it told me I did not have permission to do so. I called a friend of mine and he told me that I would have to reinstall itunes format my ipod and reinstall everything. I went to the apple site and got a prompt to reinstall quicktime with itunes. When I reinstalled it my ipod started syncing again and everything except my purchased music came back over. I called apple and they told me to authorize my computer to itunes and synch again and all was well. Hope this helps.

Dave