mwh9 Posts: 51
edited March 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
See above message.
Post edited by mwh9 on

Comments

• mwh9
    edited March 2007
    I have decided to put a pair of 6x9's in my truck and would like to know which would be the better way to install them. They will not fit in the stock location no matter what I do or modify. So, I will have to either put them in speaker boxes or build something to hold them. I mainly need to know whether I will get better sound quality if they are mounted enclosed or open air. I can build something for which ever way is best. Thank you very much for your help in this matter.
    Mike
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2007
    You would be better off putting in the speaker that will fit in the factory openings.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • mwh9
    edited March 2007
    MacLeod,
    Thank you very much for posting a reply. I do hold your opinions in high regard. I have considered using a stock replacement but, I want to match the rms rating of the front speakers. I do not want to use a sub, don't really have the room, and any speaker that I put in the stock location will be firing directly into the seat belt. It passes within an inch of the speaker grill. While I know this will not effect the bass response, it can't possibly good for the tweeters sound quality. I do hope that you will get a chance to respond to this,
    Thanks, Mike
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2007
    You wont hear the tweeters in the back seat anyway. High frequencies are very directional and having them not only behind you but 180 degrees off axis AND below you, them firing into the seatbelts wont affect their SQ at all.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Tim B.
    Tim B. Posts: 105
    edited March 2007
    Have you considered using the Focal 13KS - 5" Subwoofer. I have heard that those play pretty low and should fit in your rear deck. You should be able to make a small inclosure for them there and not utilize much space.
    Car Audio System:
    Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    Front Stage: Hertz Millie MLK 2
    Sub: Hertz Millie ML3000
    Amplifier: Audison LRx 5.1K
    Battery: Kinetik KHC 1400 Power Cell

Home Theater System:
    Panasonic TH-42PX50U Plasma HD TV
    Denon AVR-3805 7.1 Recevier
    Denon DVD 1910
    Yamaha DVD-C750
    X-Box: Moded with 300 Gig Hard Drive
    Paradigm PS-1000 Subwoofer
    Bay Audio Studio Monitors: Fronts - CubeXL, Center - Cube, Side & Rear Surrounds - Mini Cubes (http://www.bayaudio.com/cubexl.html)
  • mwh9
    edited March 2007
    Thanks for every one's help but I am still going to get the 6x9's to put in the rear. They will match the rms rating on the components that are up front. I guess that I should get some sr's and then be done with it, I'm sure at some point I will, just didn't want to go to the funny farm yet and I know someone will have me committed when the audio system becomes worth more than the truck. Thanks again, Mike