Ways to identify a stroke and save a life

candyliquor35m
candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
This has probably made its way to everyones mailbox before but this is the first I saw it since I'm not in corporate america anymore getting all the jokes and chain emails. Truth or fiction? I have no idea.

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Thank God for the sense to remember the "3" steps, STR. Read and Learn!
Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.
Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S *Ask the individual to SMILE.
T *Ask the person to TALK, to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently: It is sunny out today.)
R *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

{NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out their tongue... if the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other that is also an indication of a stroke}

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call 9-1-1 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.
Post edited by candyliquor35m on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2007
    So, I just walk up to people randomly and ask them to do these things?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited March 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote:

No, just us old farts!:D
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • candyliquor35m
    edited March 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote:

It works best at the bar just before last call for alcohol.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, call the ambulance and then somewhere down the line they will probably get some sort of mercury laced injection then they'll be REALLY f&*ked.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2007
    sucks2beme wrote:
    No, just us old farts!:D

Sadly it isn't just old people....young people can have strokes too.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2007
    TroyD wrote:
    Yeah, call the ambulance and then somewhere down the line they will probably get some sort of mercury laced injection then they'll be REALLY f&*ked.

BDT

Damn man come on.....this was a very reasonable post by CL35m.
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited March 2007
    BL, you gotta remember that BDT is in the AF and prob got smacked with Hg-laced shots back in Basic Training... come to think of it, so did I. :mad:;)
  • candyliquor35m
    edited March 2007
    Damn man come on.....this was a very reasonable post by CL35m.

Thanks
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited March 2007
    The symptoms of a stroke are also displayed by Bell's Palsey.

Which, luckily, start to go away after a couple of weeks/month.

:)
    Sal Palooza
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited March 2007
    Yes I have to call **** on this one too.
    My father had a stroke in the hospital and was given the reversal drug within minutes. It helped but he is far from being 100 percent and had it not been for one helluva rehab center in Spartanburg, SC my brother and I would have to see him in a rest home.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited March 2007
    total reversal or not, quick identification is HUGE
    I'm pretty sure they use clotbusters to break up a full on stroke

more time a part of the brain is without Oxygen, the worse you are.

Candy's info is mostly accurate (expept maybe the 100% reversal part) I would say possible, but not all the time. still, <3hrs DRASTICALLY reduces permanent life altering symptoms and death

and yes, I still gargle with Listerine and Mercury on a daily basis :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites