Speaker replacment help please?

choopz
choopz Posts: 6
edited March 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi guy's

I have a Pioneer GM-X742 amplifier (very old but working fine). I use this amp for mid's and tweeter's. I currently have 4 3-way Pioneer speakers in the car. I used these speakers because I didn't want to cut or make any more holes in the car. The reason I want to replace them is because they started to break, but they gave me 4 good years. I want to replace them with some of those nice mid's, tweeters & crossover setup I see now. I never had any Polk Audio products but the seem to be very good quality.
The holes in the car where the existing speakers are installed are: rear 6.25" (round) and front 4.25" (round). Can any of you Guy's recommend me a nice set of speakers for my car that can fit my requirements?

Thanks.
Post edited by choopz on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2007
    Whats your budget?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • choopz
    edited March 2007
    Sorry for that I am new to the forum and my budget is around $200

Thanks for the input.
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited March 2007
    you can ditch the rear speakers for now and pick up the mmc5250's from sonic electonix. http://sonicelectronix.com/item_7108.html (since that amp is a 2-channel, anyways)

or you can get the db5250/db5251 and the db6500/db6501. You can find them cheaper than their retail price so don't let that throw you off. I personally haven't listened to anything from Polk's db line, but they get pretty good reviews.
    eg. Retail 239.99, cardomian $113.99. (for the db6500)

There's also the MMC525 and the MMC650. These can be found fairly cheap. I think there are a few of them on ebay. Similarly there's the db650 and db525.

if i were in your shoes I'd prolly get the mmc5250 (or u can try fitting the 6500's in the front) now and then get rear speakers in the future. who knows, maybe you may even decide that you don't want rear fill. I currently don't have my rear speakers installed as my system is still in the process of being built. If I hadn't already purchased a new pair I'd prolly go without them.
  • mwh9
    mwh9 Posts: 51
    edited March 2007
    I have had the db650's for a few weeks before moving up to some component db6500's. Polk speakers are the way to go, even their entry level one's will start an addiction. If you can fit the 6 1/2" size in IMO you will be more pleased. If you can only buy one pair of speakers for now then do it. One good pair of speakers are worth a 100 pair of crappy one's.
  • choopz
    edited March 2007
    Thanks guy's I also red allot off good reviews on Polkaudio and they seem very stylish also.
  • choopz
    edited March 2007
    Another question are these any good http://sonicelectronix.com/item_5386.html
    I currently have a set off 10" Kickers in the trunk of my car (Toyota Cressida 1993 sedan) in combination with an Blaupunkt 150W amp . They are very old now but are still pumping quite some bass. They are in a box made by Stillwater designs. Will that single 12" with that enclosure be able to replace the current 2x10"? I'm not sure but I think they are 300W each. And if so can you recommend me an amp that is good for that 12". Please if you can recommend me anything on that same site will be great because they ship to Aruba and that is were I live.

Thanks.
  • choopz
    edited March 2007
    Another question are these any good http://sonicelectronix.com/item_5386.html
    I have good experience with Kicker but it has been a long time I haven't bought any sound equipment so I'm kinda lost. I currently have a pair of 10" Kicker's in the trunk of my car (Toyota Cressida 1993 sedan). They are in a box made by Stillwater designs (300W each). They are quite old know but still pumping quite some bass in combination with a Blaupunkt 150W amp. Will that single 12" Kicker be able to replace the 2x10"? And if so Which amp can I get to do the job? I will also be needing a nice EQ can you recommend me one?
    Please can your recommendations be on this same site because they ship to Aruba and that is were I live.

Thanks.
  • choopz
    edited March 2007
    Sorry for the double post something went wrong here:o
    Please read the second one.

Thanks.