Bi-amp'd SDA 1.2TLs

Options
hearingimpared
hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
edited September 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I’ve bi-amp’d my SDA 1.2TLs using Adcom 565 mono blocks connected to the low frequency posts on the speakers and a Parasound HCA 1000A connected to the high frequency posts. So there is 300 wpc on the lows and 125 wpc on the highs. The slew rate of the Parasound is pretty good and when I checked with Adcom about the slew rate on their amps. . . well I don’t want to bad mouth anybody here so I’ll leave that alone. Let’s just say that the two amps must be damned near identical in speed because it sounds seamless to me.

I’ve read mixed reviews on this forum about bi-amping not bi-wiring, bi-amping, for those whom I just insulted by spelling it out I felt that need because I spoke to a couple of Polker friends and I had to make that distinction to them as to what I actually did.

I had two methods before me that I could choose to use to accomplish this task. The first was I needed to make or purchase Y connectors to split the signal from my preamp out Left & Right channels. I was going to make a pair but I love Signal Cable’s products so much that I asked Frank to make me a set, 6” long. Just after I ordered the Y connectors I found out that Parasound has a loop option on the amplifier that enables the user to use that loop in lieu of Y connectors from the preamp. I had to go with the Y connectors: 1. because I paid for them and owned them and they really looked pretty cool so I decided to keep them; 2. because of the lack of rack space and IC lengths.

Like I said I am out of rack space so I took a set of Mapleshade Isoblocks and placed them on top of my power center and placed the Parasound amp using its feet on top of the Isoblocks. The biggest problem now was what to do with the Spectral’s outboard power supply. I have a very short Signal Cable Magic Power cord on it and it could only go one place. . . .on top of the Parasound. . . .I know, I know stacking is voodoo and unforgivable but I currently have no choice. I placed sorbothane pods under the preamps power supply which gives about a 2” clearance on the middle top of the amp. The Parasound runs very, very slightly warm just under the outboard amp after really pushing it so I am certain that it is getting enough air.

I used the same speaker cable and lengths for the Parasound to 1.2TL connections that I used on the 565s. I used Signal Cable ICs to the 565s and Garth ICs on the Parasound.

After powering everything back up, I gave the whole rig a little over an hour to stabilize.

I played the following music over four days:

LPs
Jazz at the Pawnshop;, 180 gm LP, “Lady Be Good” & “High Life” tracts
Dire Straits, “Brothers in Arms;” 180 gm LP, “So Far Away” & “Money For Nothing” tracts
The Shins, “Wincing the Night Away;” LP the whole LP
Pink Floyd, “DSOTM”, 180 gm LP; the whole LP
Pink Floyd, “Echos”, 180gm LP; “Wish You Were Here,”
Holst “The Planets” LP Eugene Ormandy

CDs
Mapleshade, “Music Festival;” tract 2 “Alberta” by Whop Frazier/Bad Influence; tract 10 “Stormy Monday Blues” by Drink Small Quintet.
Mapleshade, “The Art of the Ballad;” tract 7 “These Foolish Things” King/Bluiett Trio
Mapleshade, “Murders, Drownings, and Lost Loves” all 15 tracts Danny Knicely & Will Lee
Billy Joel, “Piano Man;” tract 1 “Travelin’ Prayer
Queen, “Greatest Hits;” “Another One Bites The Dust,” “You’re My Best Friend”
Fleetwood Mac, “Rumours;” “Never Going Back Again”
Janet Jackson, “Together Again”
Talking Heads, “Stop Making Sense” the entire disc
Telarc ‘Tschikovsky 1812 Overture” the entire disc

SACDs
Jazz at the Pawnshop, “Lady Be Good” & “High Life” tracts
Pink Floyd, “DSOTM” the entire disc
Living Stereo, “Don Quixote,” “Don Juan”

I played all of the above at the same volumes that I would normally play them before biamping the speakers.

First off my way of testing a new tweak or new component addition to my setup is to play the new item first then switch back to the original and back ad nauseum if necessary. This is what I did in this case. I am very familiar with the music above and have a pretty good audio memory, I’m far, far from golden eared but I do have a good grasp of how the various front ends are produced on my rig.

I know and understand the basics of bi-amping speakers and why there is a positive effect driving speaker low/midrange and tweeter arrays with two different amps.

First Impressions:
The first piece I played was JATP LP. The first thing I noticed was much more bass presence, it was not subtle. I was able to pinpoint the bass in the image and follow it through the entire piece. This rang true for all of the recordings I listened to, LP, CD, SACD. There was also now a pronounced GRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOWWWWWWLLLLL with the double bass and lower bass guitar registers but it didn’t stop there. A few recordings above have baritone saxophones involved there was a growl there also but on a brassy scale. Arnes Domnerus’ sax in Lady Be Good was much more clearly breathy and purring. The kick drum felt like a kick in the chest.

The midrange was clearly cleaner and the image more stable.

I did hear with LPs and SACDs a more present treble section; drum strikes were cleaner and crisper with more air between instruments and vocals, as well as clear spacing between two drum sticks striking a china cap. All instruments sounded more natural. The harmonics of Lars Erstrands vibraphone in “Lady Be Good” was as breathtaking as the more natural and room filling sizzle of cymbals. I could clearly hear the plunk and ping of his sticks on the vibs. The piano riffs were more holographic.

Overall the imaging was definitely more holographic than without the bi-amp. The image was clearly deeper also.

CDs
This is where I was completely blown away. I didn’t realize it before but the Adcoms had an edge to them, that digital edge on CDs that I hate, they’re not grainy or bright, they just have an edge and it is only with CDs. With the Parasound powering the highs that edge is gone. The presence of the higher and high frequency instruments is so much clearer and very sweet. When I got my turntable up about 3 weeks ago I hadn’t listened to any CDs for obvious reasons; they don’t sound as good to me as LPs even with the Timbre DAC. I can tell you now that I am an equal opportunity listener now. CDs sound wonderful. If you take another look above you will notice that I played more CDs than SACDs and LPs combined. That is how much sweeter that top end sounds now. I also have been able to listen to CDs longer.

With all the music and genres, the really stunning, shining thing for me is that I can follow any instrument no matter what it is, no matter how many other instruments or vocals are mixed with it and follow it from the beginning of the piece to the very end and follow it in the image. . . This was very evident with classical music.

I took the time to place the rig back to its original configuration. One cut off of Jazz at the Pawnshop and I was setting the rig back to biamped. To use a clich
Post edited by hearingimpared on

Comments

• snow
    snow Posts: 4,329
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Congrats on your new found sound. Every time I upgrade and it actually makes a difference I want to listen to everything I own all over again lol. Sometimes the diiference is so subtle its hardly worth the effort but it looks like you have gained a lot here. One of these days I will get a pair of adcom GFA-565s and I will get to see for myself. Everyone that has them seems to love them. and I think they would be hard to beat for 1k or so used. REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Man, I love those room colors :) ,,congrats on your discovery,,those are the adcoms with the mc/mf upgrades,,no?
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Man, I love those room colors :) ,,congrats on your discovery,,those are the adcoms with the mc/mf upgrades,,no?

Yes those same ones you and I have had conversations about off and on since August. As I said in the write up, they are not grainy or bright and that is what the Musical Concepts upgrades/mods tone down or eliminate?.

The room colors??? Well if I told you I wanted it red to match the Zerostat 3 gun, I would be lying. LOL
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Man I just looked at the pictures again, I need to do some serious wire management. With the camera flash it looks awful. . . with regular light you really can't see them that obviously.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Nice writeup Joe. Cant wait to hear them again.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2007
    Options
    That's a great looking rig, let alone a great writeup.

Have fun Joe and don't get lost in the mix. Cheers! :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I have the GFA-585 running full range up front, but I am looking for something different on the tweets. Thanks for the wright up. Very enticing.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    That's a great looking rig, let alone a great writeup.

Have fun Joe and don't get lost in the mix. Cheers! :)

I'm learning Brother I'm learning.
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Now thats what Im talking about I just couldnt put it so elequently, I basically come home after every trip now and go staright to the living room to turn the stereo on so I can listen to the sounds. It took me a little tweaking though I might say because The tfms I have have adjustable preamp inputs, BUt nonethe less its golden now..... Glad to hear you BI-amped them .Didnt know you were missing out did ya !
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,002
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Over the top review Joe. I'm drooling at the mouth now, can't wait to get down there & have a listen!!! We'll set something up shortly.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Glad to hear you BI-amped them .Didnt know you were missing out did ya !

No man, I thought I was happy with the original configuration. I'm glad I took the chance.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited March 2007
    Options
    color me wrong.....I really thought you were going to have a problem. my experience with biamping with different brand amps didnt pan out, and I guess I was jaded.

everything you have said, every thought, is what I experienced when I biamped my 9's. where as every other biamp I did with the 9's didnt work, biamping with the same type of amp on the top and the bottom is what got the job done in my case. This is what made me think the para might not get along with the adcoms,. I guess I should have known, parasound makes great gear.

I'm happy I was wrong, and am glad your having a ball with the rig :)

wire management? dude, it looks fine. you wanna see a train wreck? come on up and look at the back of my theater rack some time. Its nothing short of a greek tragedy.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Deadof_knight
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Let me tell you this I tried mine with the yamaha mx-830 and when I turned it on I turned it off immediately becasue the sound was all wrong, tfm-35 on the mids and yamaha on the highs ,,,,,,never tried it again untill my other tfm came in....... All smiles here

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Well after a day or two of not listening to anything, I put an old Grateful Dead LP on and was freaking out because it sounded sooooo bad. I kept listening and it sounded like the bass was muddled, and the image smeared. The vocals kept moving around. I really thought that the electronics being on for four or five days really settled in and the problems became apparent.

Not so. The LP itself just SUCKS. I played numerous other recordings LPs, CDs, SACDs and all was well. I won't be listening to that Grateful Dead LP anymore. It's funny to cause back in the day when I first bought that record, the equipment I was playing that record on wasn't so good and it didn't sound this bad. Oh well progress!!! LOL
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Options
    ohskigod wrote:
    wire management? dude, it looks fine. you wanna see a train wreck? come on up and look at the back of my theater rack some time. Its nothing short of a greek tragedy.

I don't think I am really that concerned with the looks Lou. I think if I straighten the wires out a little and separate the ICs and digital wire from the power cords that it may lower the noise floor or tighten up the midrange image some. If not then it'll just look good and Phyllisann won't feel that I am ignoring her requests to clean them up. . .;)
  • adcom565
    adcom565 Posts: 13
    edited March 2007
    Options
    This maybe a dump question, I don't have a Parasound amp, but I do have an extra ADCOM GFA545 (100w x2) If I was going to try to Biamp my 1.2TL's how would I do it. I currently have a pair of 565's (Monos) with the A-1 connecter between the speakers, do I just hook up the 565's to the lows and the 545 to the highs. I know there some some concerns with grounding, is it an issue to use a stereo amp with Mono's. Just did not want to blow something up. I know I may not get as sweet of highs as a Parasound, but maybe I will get better lows. How do you hook them up? Thanks
  • Deadof_knight
    edited March 2007
    Options
    If you running a 565 monos one on each left and right your bi-amp just a different configuration. to answer your question yes but is the 545 and the 565 common grounded, if they are you dont need the a-1 connector in the configuration.Or are you talking 565 one one the left and right low then 1 545 on the top end. If thats what your talking about I think your power difference will be to great and youll hear it quickly JMO though,Careful Im not real solid on the adcoms Hopefully one of the Elders here will chime in.

when you biamp in this configuration YOU MUST TAKE THE JUMPERS OFF before any power is applied !!!!!

• hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Options
    adcom565 wrote:
    This maybe a dump question, I don't have a Parasound amp, but I do have an extra ADCOM GFA545 (100w x2) If I was going to try to Biamp my 1.2TL's how would I do it. I currently have a pair of 565's (Monos) with the A-1 connecter between the speakers, do I just hook up the 565's to the lows and the 545 to the highs. I know there some some concerns with grounding, is it an issue to use a stereo amp with Mono's. Just did not want to blow something up. I know I may not get as sweet of highs as a Parasound, but maybe I will get better lows. How do you hook them up? Thanks

First off I'm not familiar with any other Adcom amp(s) other than the 565s. I also have to note that I am not using an AI-1 interconnect between the 1.2TLs. I have my 565s strapped. If you strap your 565s then the directions below will work for you.

I don't know if using the 565s unstrapped and using the AI-1 with it bi-amp'd with the 545 will have any phase shifting issues, someone with experience in that regard will have to answer that question.

If your 545 is a stereo amp there are no grounding issues.

TAKE YOUR TIME.

I going to assume that your preamp only has one set of outputs.

POWER EVERYTHING DOWN!!!

The simplest way (no external xover) is to split the signal coming out of your preamp with Y connectors, you will now have two left channel outputs and two right channel outputs. From one of the left Y connector jacks, connect one IC to the in of left 565 mono block, and the other Y left out with an IC to left of the 545's input. Now do the exact same with the right Y connector jacks from the preamp to the right mono block and right channel of your 545.

There are two jumpers on each speaker connecting the upper posts to the lower posts. Disconnect and remove the jumpers from both of the speakers left and right, postive and negative channel posts. I assume you already have the 565 connected to the lower posts on both speakers. Right now you should have the negative & positive connections on the left speaker connected to the left channel mono block. The same goes for the right speaker and right channel mono block.

I would use the same speaker wire and lengths to connect the 545s that you are using for the 565s.

Connect the negative and positive terminals of your 545s left channel speaker posts to the upper posts of your left speaker. Make sure of the proper phasing i.e. neg to neg, positive to positive. Now do the same thing to the right channel.

You are done. Power up your rig as you usually would except this time power the 545 up also. If nothing blows up or starts burning then wait a little while for the components to stabilize and then play some music and see how it sounds. If it sounds better than what you had before viola! If not go back to the original configuration.
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Options
    If you running a 565 monos one on each left and right your bi-amp just a different configuration. to answer your question yes but is the 545 and the 565 common grounded, if they are you dont need the a-1 connector in the configuration.Or are you talking 565 one one the left and right low then 1 545 on the top end. If thats what your talking about I think your power difference will be to great and youll hear it quickly JMO though,Careful Im not real solid on the adcoms Hopefully one of the Elders here will chime in.

when you biamp in this configuration YOU MUST TAKE THE JUMPERS OFF before any power is applied !!!!!

My Parasound is a 125 wpc amp, my Adcom 565 are 300 wpc amps. . . I can hear no discernable difference due to the difference in output power and don't think it is an issue with this configuration. If the 545 puts out 100 wpc clean then there really shouldn't be any problems.
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    Options
    My Parasound is a 125 wpc amp, my Adcom 565 are 300 wpc amps. . . I can hear no discernable difference due to the difference in output power and don't think it is an issue with this configuration. If the 545 puts out 100 wpc clean then there really shouldn't be any problems.

Just a question here. GFA-565 put out 450@ 4ohms, and SDA-SRS's are 4 ohms then you are near the Polk recommended 1/3 for highs amplification correct?
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Options
    ben62670 wrote:
    Just a question here. GFA-565 put out 450@ 4ohms, and SDA-SRS's are 4 ohms then you are near the Polk recommended 1/3 for highs amplification correct?

I would appear that it is over.

I did what I did and it worked in all honesty, that is all I know. . .I humbly pass on this one to a more experienced member.

I do have soft copies (PDFs) of the SDA 1.2TLs & SDA CRS+ manuals if anyone would like me to email them, PM me your email address.
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    Options
    My bad I thought you had the SDA-SRS's
    Thanks
    Ben
  • cstpeter
    cstpeter Posts: 387
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Great post hearingimpared. And nice setup!
    Von Schweikert VR4-jr
    Valve Audio Predator
    Denon DVD-2900
    PS Audio Digital Link III w/Cullen Level IV Mods
    Pro-Ject Xpression w/Blue Point No. 2
    Graham Slee Special Edition 2
    PS Audio UPC-200
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Options
    cstpeter wrote:
    Great post hearingimpared. And nice setup!

Thanks Bro . . . all due to the folks on this forum.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited March 2007
    Options
    High marks Joe. I'm glad the bi-amping resulted in a significant improvement for you.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Deadof_knight
    edited March 2007
    Options
    A parasound is well , discerbably nicer than and Adcom in my opinion. Then again it is only pushing the tweets ..... which needs to be nice and cleannnnnn!

• warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited March 2007
    Options
    If you bi-amp with 2 different amps, how do you get the output levels calibrated? IE: 200 wpc going to lows and 125 wps to highs, won't the low output be higher than the high output? Do you use test signals? Thanks, Jeff
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Options
    warlocks1 wrote:
    If you bi-amp with 2 different amps, how do you get the output levels calibrated? IE: 200 wpc going to lows and 125 wps to highs, won't the low output be higher than the high output? Do you use test signals? Thanks, Jeff

The Adcoms are rated at 300 wpc, the Parasound 125 wpc. I think you are confusing what is always coming out of the amps with what the speakers demand and draw. Bass and lower frequencies always demand more power. That doesn't mean the low frequencies are going to sound louder. The Adcoms have 300 wpc available if needed and required by the speakers.
  • warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Don't amps have different output levels? Can one amp put out more sound at a cetain output level which can cause either the lower or high end to output too much sound? I used to run my system with 5 Carver amps all bridged and had to use a SPL meter to balance all the speakers. Is this not the same as biamping with 2 different amps? Thanks, Jeff
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Joe,what an excellent write up and experience...I now have a Parasound HCA-1500A driving our 2.3's,and I've thinking for quite a while about bi-amping the upper end with an HCA-1000A.

Your thread has me on the hunt for another amp.