Speaker Selection

mwh9
mwh9 Posts: 51
edited March 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am working on replacing my entire system in my truck. I have currently replaced the stock HU because it died. All of this tends to start some where like this. Well, one thing leads to another, so this is what I have so far, and where I want to go with it. The new HU is a Pioneer DEH-P3900MP, the front speakers are Polk db6500. The truck is a 1992 Dodge Dakota standard cab. The front speaker location called for 5 1/4" but, the 6 1/2"s were a perfect fit, even used the same screw holes. So, for now what I put there will do. I did originally buy the db650 speakers but, changed them out for the db6500's. I didn't think that the db650's sounded all that bad, just the db6500's seemed a little better. Here is where I would like some help. The rear speaker location calls for 5x7's or 6x8's and is right behind the seat in the rear cab corners. I am not sure how much a very high quality speaker will be heard that well. I am considering either the db750's or the db690's. The 5x7's will fit the stock location but, I am leaning toward the 6x9's which will possibly have to go in speaker boxes. The 6x9's will match the front speakers rms rating and I am not sure I want to have to use a sub. I do intend to use an amp on the other speakers, and would like a suggestion for this also. Price does matter sum, don't want to be accused of being any more insane.

Thanks, Mike
Post edited by mwh9 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2007
    If you dont want to use a sub, it wouldnt be a horrible idea to stick some 5x7's in there.

You can go with the 6x9's in boxes but so long as you dont mind eating up space.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • mwh9
    mwh9 Posts: 51
    edited March 2007
    Thanks for the reply, my only concern with the 6x9's is whether they would be ok in a sealed box like the one's that are offered or would it be better if they were in a tuned enclosure. I guess that I could cut the abs corners out and mount the 6x9's to them if they come with speaker grills. Just noticed that cc lowered their price on these.

Thanks, Mike