FS: Modded ASL AV-20 Monoblocks.

Options
Ricardo
Ricardo Posts: 10,636
edited March 2007 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Now that I have the TAD-60 I don't need these monoblocks.

I modded these adding the transformers from the AV-25, Mundorf caps for the coupling capacitors, and Vishay resistors in the signal path.
These mods brought two very noticeable improvements:

1.-Dead quiet: normally tube amps have some level of hum; with these you will only hear a very slight something in the tweeters; probably as you would with any SS amp.
2.-Awesome details in mids and highs; clarity and definition.

Here's what I have on them:

Amps purchased at $325
Transformers: $170
Mundorf/Vishay: $90
Quad of Jan Philips 6L6WGB: $140
Quad of Sovtex 5881's: $50
EH 12AX&'s: $20

Total: $795

Polkies price, shipped to CONUS: SOLD to George Daniel

You can see pictures here:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47948

Post interest here and then PM me.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
SOPA
Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
Post edited by Ricardo on

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Ricardo they are very nice. But like you if I were going for an amp, I would have carried Norm's TAD home with me a couple of weeks ago. Those things were gorgeous and sounded like heaven!

Some luck sould is going to get that last one.

I have been tied to the ship's mast with my ears clogged with rags so I could be steered into the shipwreck by the sounds of those sea nympths who lead the ships to doom.

The_Lorelei.jpg

All this so I can stay away from buying that amp. I've got a Krell KSA-250 with my name written all over it.:D
    Carl

• MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Somebody snag these up they are great little amps and a great way to get into tubes. They already have all the goodies and mods done to them. My ASL Wave AV-25's in stock form have plenty of power for my Monitor 5's. These are essential the Wave AV-25's with better caps and capacitor's.

These little amp's and the Monitor 5's sound better than my RTi10's IMHO.

Snag them up.

I have plans to make similiar mods to my ASL's.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Ricardo, I need to test your packing skills :) pm sent
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Ricardo
    edited March 2007
    Options
    PM received, PM sent, and sold.

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • george daniel
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Alrighty,, gonna push some mon 7's with these,,,this sounds like fun bias eh? this will give me something to do,, can't wait :)
  • Ricardo
    edited March 2007
    Options
    First (and only) time I heard the 7's was at Noel's, powered by a pair of ASL 20's. Noel remembers my face. Completely blown away.

You'll love these little amps; one would think that 20-25 watts is not much, but they can really sing.

Biasing tubes is nothing; I didn't know anything about it myself a few months ago. Not big deal. I will include a multimeter so that you are ready to do it once the time comes :)

SOPA
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited March 2007
    Options
    George I think you will like these little amps. Let us know how they sound with the Monitor 7's.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2007
    Options
    This was a no-brainer...glad someone had one :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • george daniel
    edited March 2007
    Options
    got em today, currently playing thru mon 7's,, we happy :):) 20 tube watts eh? ;)
  • Ricardo
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Glad they arrived safe and that you like them. They are great little amps, and the Mundorf caps gave them a nice improvement.

Enjoy!!

SOPA
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I am listening to The Replacements right now through mine.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited March 2007
    Options
    George,

I wish I still had my Wave 20s driving my 7As. That rig was magical.

That rig was:
    AMC CD8b(modded)
    Dodd ELP
    ASL Wave 20s
    Monitor 7As w/ Peerless
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • george daniel
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I've been playing around with these, thru mon 5's, 7c's and 11t's. When I got to the 11t's with the rdo tweets something happened,,magic :eek: ,,damn, :D ,I may have to rethink my high curent monobloc theory for the Tyler 7 u's coming soon.I really don't have the words to describe it,the bass seemed more natural,the mids just blossomed,and the highs were very smooth and very easy on my old ears. Sometimes you buy gear,plug it in and what you expected,,never happens,,well it happened. Twenty watts :confused: I can't get past 9 0'clock on the vol. Sweet,sweet, and sweet.
  • Ricardo
    edited March 2007
    Options
    You happy makes me happy ;)

SOPA