troubleshooting sub question

beavis240
beavis240 Posts: 29
edited March 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
for the last 2 days, I've noticed that my sub would suddenly stop workin mid song....and if I skipped tracks to the next one it would kick back in. Well today it just stopped kicking back in for the exception when I start my car...it works for roughly 2-4 seconds and quits again. I havent been blasting it or anything so im pretty sure I didnt blow it....and my gain levels have been the same for roughly 2 years now.

here's my gear:
C400.4...hooked up to 2 MMC6500's and 2 MMC690's
C300.2 bridged to a MM12" in the enclosed box
KnuKonceptz 1 Farad Cap with KnuKonceptz wiring
Panasonic Head-Unit

I really dont know much about car audio...I just saved up and had Tweeter install everything for me...but now im at college where there isnt any high-end audio places :(

any suggestions would help me out a lot!!!
Post edited by beavis240 on

Comments

• vawakemonster
    vawakemonster Posts: 131
    edited March 2007
    check your all wire connections make sure there isnt a strant of coper wire out of a terminal briding from + to -.

where is the amp mounted?
    Dodge Dakota
    HU: Pioneer
    Amp: Profile AP600 & Phoenix gold r2.5:2
    Speakers: Boston SX 6.5 components
    Subwoofer: polk mm2104
  • joeaudio26
    joeaudio26 Posts: 97
    edited March 2007
    Something is loose, no doubt you will have to inspect all wiring ...
    Whatsoever thy handfindeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is nor work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2007
    Sounds like youre overdriving the amp and its going into protect mode. When you turn the power off and crank it back up, it resets.

Check the gain on the 300.2

It should be no higher than the "noon" position.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • beavis240
    edited March 2007
    I had a knob installed under my driver's side steering wheel...it sounds like it controls the sub's volume....is it just a volume knob or does that control the gain as well? (I got it from polk's site)
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2007
    If you turn it all the way down, does the sub go completely off? If so, it can be considered a gain control but all its really doing is limiting the voltage going from the outputs of the radio.

If it doesnt go all the way off, its just a bass boost. I never run bass boost, all it does is take a frequency around 45 Hz, and boosts that frequency
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • beavis240
    edited March 2007
    yeah the sub goes all the way off when its turned all the way down
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2007
    Even still, if the gain is turned all the way up on the amp, and you turn that thing all the way up. Your amp is running full throttle all the time.

Is the amp hot when you touch it after it goes off?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2007
    The control knob from polk electronically controls the gain of the amplifier. Disconnect it and see if you still have the problem.