Advice on computer monitor

burdette
burdette Posts: 1,194
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
Thankfully, donations from coworkers have kept my household with working computer monitors the past few years. We again find ourselves with a monitor on the way out.

Given that once our tax refunds show up, we'll be debt-free except for my student loans and our house, AND, given the story I told here regarding our recent TV acquisition (thus alleviating the need for that purchase), I'm going to actually BUY a new computer monitor!

I'd decided to get it at Costco because of their return/replacement policy, even if that means paying a little more than somewhere else.

However, after shopping around, this seems like a great deal on its own. But, I've been completely out of the loop on monitor (and TV) technology developments, known problems, bad companies, etc.

Although we have Costcos in the area, this seems to be available only online. So I'll have to pay for shipping. After rebates and with shipping, it'll be around $154, unless they charge me taxes, which I'd pay at the store anyway.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11187155&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

Response time seems to be a big thing, and from reading I realize 8ms isn't the latest and greatest.. but we aren't gamers. This will be for internet, homeschooling, creating birthday cards, kid's software, etc.

Just checking to see if anyone has a gut reaction.

Thanks.
Post edited by burdette on

Comments

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2007
    Good luck with that one year limited warranty. I'm predicting it'll fail about a month out of that warranty. I've never even heard of that "brand". Go with a name brand with a decent warranty, even if it means spending more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001088

Buy it now, buy it with **** abandon. Do not be afraid. You have a 3 year parts and labor warranty. it is pretty.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • burdette
    edited March 2007
    THAT is why it is coming from Costco. They stand behind their products for years, regardless of manufacturer's warranty. They'll either refund or replace with whatever they currently carry that is close.

Our portable/car DVD player died 18 months after we bought it - 90 days parts, 1 yr labor. Even though I (honestly) swear I packaged up the box with the paperwork and receipt, when I got it down from the attic I couldn't find the receipt. They found the purchase on their computer and gave us full credit on a store card.

Thanks for the link to the Samsung. I'll seriously look at that.

Edit^2: here's the Samsung for even $10 less than Newegg.. $170 delivered.
    http://www.buy.com/prod/samsung-941bw-19-widescreen-lcd-display-500-1-4ms-1440-x-900-dvi-black/q/loc/101/203321008.html
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited March 2007
    I hope you noticed my public service announcement in the other Costco thread.

Costco has changed their return policy. You might have a chance to buy right now before it takes place but you better hurry.

article

Costco New Policy PDF
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2007
    No idea about that particular model, but 8ms is just fine as long as you're not gaming or watching movies (and even then wouldn't be that bad). Anything under 9ms is probably fine for a non-gamer. Hell, I think mine at home is something like 16ms and I never notice artifacts or anything.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • burdette
    edited March 2007
    PhantomOG wrote:
    I hope you noticed my public service announcement in the other Costco thread.

Costco has changed their return policy. You might have a chance to buy right now before it takes place but you better hurry.

article

Costco New Policy PDF
    Nope... hadn't seen that. Thanks for the information.

Too bad.. abusers **** it up for everyone else.

I WOULD get in the window if I make this purchase... Still though... only $15 bucks more for the Samsung... my gut is twitching...
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2007
    Are you totally set on an LCD? You can get some nice CRT's super cheap.
  • burdette
    edited March 2007

Space is a consideration. We want bigger screen size but we're limited on desk space and I am SO tired of lugging big ol' monitors around. I don't know if we could go 19" CRT without moving furniture and computer placement.

But again, that's why I'm asking... I haven't kept up on things. If CRTs are still pretty gigantic - the flat would be nice... I know the older 19" CRT I use at work is very large - too large for home.
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited March 2007
    I have a Dell 30" LCD with 11ms response time, and games look beautiful. No ghosting at all. Don't base your puchase solely on specs, but rather appearance, cost, and warranty support as well. I've had good luck in the past with Viewsonic LCD's and Samsung...don't know too much about the one you are considering. Good luck.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2007
    Why give yourself a hernia, go with a LCD! I love my Samsung, too bad I had to pay 699.00 for it!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • bobman1235
    edited March 2007

They still sell CRTs? Yeesh. ;)
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2007
    Still love my 21" Viewsonic CRT, I just wish it didn't heat up the room so much when left on. :)
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2007
    I too found myself looking for a new monitor after years of near perfect service from my NEC. I don't give two shakes about the specs and features...I looked for the best picture. Settled for an LG LCD 19" from Best Buy. Nice monitor for the money ($219). I asked that the showroom screen saver be changed to the desktop and them played with the system running all the monitors on display. I even had them run a DVD to check the picture. They were actually more than happy to meet my requests. Could have been the fact that I reminded them of the amount of money I'd spent over the years and would continue to do so as long as they complied with my wishes...LOL....too much competition out there to be snobby.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited March 2007
    I love my Dell 20" Dell makes some wonderful and very attractive monitors at great prices. Also, know that LCDs put out more heat than similar CRTs. My LCD doesn't put out much less than my dual 17" CRTs.

Also, if you are insistent on the PQ, look for an S-IPS panel. And remember that CRT is still the best PQ available.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2007
    There are only a few manufacturers that produce the actual LCD screen. I wouldn't rely heavily on brand names. My main monitor is a Rosewill, and it works great. LCDs are much better than they used to be. Laptop LCDs gave them a bad report in the past. I would go for the one you have selected with no reservation. I have built plenty of custom servers, CNC machine, and navigation computers. We would purchase full size monitors and take the screens out of them, and put them in our custom housings. One thing that makes some screens look different like some dells and Sony's is the hard glossy clear cover that goes over the screen

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited March 2007
    I bought a 19 inch crt and absolutely love it , I have a flat lcd at work and the crt is hands down better to me one for the price two no ghosts no lag nice picture, 200.00 lil big but I had the room so......
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2007
    Ill be getting rid of my 19" Dell CRT for a 22" Samsung pretty soon.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited March 2007
    I got a 19 in widescreen viewsonic recently and I love it.
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited March 2007
    I have a Dell Ultrasharp 19" and Sony 20" flatpanel at home. At work I have two 20" Ultrasharp Dell flatpanels on my unclassified machine and two 22" Ultrasharp Dell flatpanels on my classified machine. The nice thing about the Dell panels, besides the fact they are very clear and bright, is that you can rotate them from landscape to portrait. This is very handy if you want to read documents on them.
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited March 2007
    I too use the Dell Ultrasharps, but only in the 17" and 19" flavor. I've seen so many LCDs in the last few years and the Dells are the only ones to always impress. They aren't the cheapest out there, but I don't think you can beat the quality.

Holydoc, I find it ironic that you have the larger screens on the machine no one else is supposed to see. :D
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited March 2007
    jmwest1970 wrote:
    Holydoc, I find it ironic that you have the larger screens on the machine no one else is supposed to see. :D

He must work for the government. lol
  • bobman1235
    edited March 2007
    All of you still stuck on CRTs don't know what you're missing. Aside from the desk real estate, just the reduction in eye strain is worth the price of admission for an LCD.
  • noimposse
    noimposse Posts: 264
    edited March 2007
    +1 on the Dell LCD's.

I have a 19" ultrasharp and it's been great. Every other Dell LCD I've had an experience with has been more than adequate as well.

If you look around, you might be able to get some coupon codes and get one for an obnoxiously good price. Got mine for $250 when they were still going for well over $500 a few years back.
    Ghetto Rig
    Power: HK AVR245.
    Screen: LG 24" 1080p.
    Speaks: Rti4.
    Source: PC. PS3. Xbox360.
    Cables: BlueJeans. Monoprice.
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited March 2007
    PolkThug wrote:
    He must work for the government. lol

For the "Intelligence" side of the government. Don't get me started. :rolleyes:
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited March 2007
    noimposse wrote:
    +1 on the Dell LCD's.

I have a 19" ultrasharp and it's been great. Every other Dell LCD I've had an experience with has been more than adequate as well.

If you look around, you might be able to get some coupon codes and get one for an obnoxiously good price. Got mine for $250 when they were still going for well over $500 a few years back.

We have 5 Dell LCD's and 1 sammi at work. Both are excellent. I was told (by Dell) that Dell's LCD are made by Sammi.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2007
    MSALLA wrote:
    We have 5 Dell LCD's and 1 sammi at work. Both are excellent. I was told (by Dell) that Dell's LCD are made by Sammi.

Most LCD screens are made by sammi, and most of the nice dell screens have the glossy cover over the screen itself. :)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • TN_Polk_Lover
    TN_Polk_Lover Posts: 243
    edited March 2007
    I have a Dell 19" Ultrasharp that I bought recently and I love it. The Dell Ultrasharps consistenly get good ratings in most of the magazines such as Consumer Reports, PC Magazine, etc. You can often catch them on sale on Dell's website. Of course, you will have to order online or by phone. I don't think that Dell sells through any retail outlets.
    Robert
    You are officially in the high-end of the deep-end of the top-end.

Bonus Room Over Garage:
    Toshiba 27" CRT TV
    Digital Source: Sony DVP-NS3100ES
    DVR: Panasonic DMR-ES15
    Denon 3806 AV Receiver
    - L/R Preamp out to Parasound HCA-1200 Amp
    Polk RTi70's, CSi40 Center, RTi38 Side Surrounds, RTi38 Back Surrounds

Living Room: (2ch only)
    TV: Sony KV20-FV12
    DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS715P
    Yamaha R9 Receiver Polk RTi38's