Clear Channel and Others - BUSTED!

cmy330go
cmy330go Posts: 2,341
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
FULL ARTICLE

It seems 4 major broadcasters have been found guilty of taking bribes, and in return they must pay X amount of money in fines, but the cool part is.....they are going to run 8,400 half-hour segments of independent artist's music for free.

I think that is a pretty decent attempt at justice.:)
HT
Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
Post edited by cmy330go on

Comments

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited March 2007
    This has been going on forever. How it took this long to figure it out is beyond me.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited March 2007
    Corporate radio has taken over. That's why it all sucks. All the stations
    are owned by a couple of big firms, making stuff like this so easy,
    You only have to pay off a couple of guys to control a 100 station's programming.
    I'm ready for something new. Classic rock stations play about six artists all day long. The alternative station has stagnated, never trying anything new.
    Jazz went under. The classical station is very weak.
    The big three formats locally are country,urban, and spanish stuff.
    And you wonder why I went XM?
    I'm sure they'll be next to get caught up in payola.
    oh well, back to the cd collection!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2007
    See, we don't really have these programming problems in Philly and the surrounding area. My pre-sets are always full and I never have enough space to get all the stations I like set. I mean, right now I have 18 stations programmed in and I can think of 6 more that I listen to regularly enough but no room for the pre-set.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited March 2007
    Before XM, I would only listen to sports talk shows. The classic channel only played 20 artists a day..and only the most popular songs...Rolling Stones..lemme guess.. yer gonna play "Start Me Up:rolleyes: "

I hate country, don't like adult contemporary, and I don't like new hard rock or pop...there was none of the music I really listened to..

For these reasons, XM rules for me..the Boneyard rocks...
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited March 2007
    Jstas wrote:
    See, we don't really have these programming problems in Philly and the surrounding area. My pre-sets are always full and I never have enough space to get all the stations I like set. I mean, right now I have 18 stations programmed in and I can think of 6 more that I listen to regularly enough but no room for the pre-set.
    Philly is a HUGE market, Like top 5 in the nation huge. The thing is, I bet at least 12 of those stations are owned by Clear Channel or Infinity Broadcasting, if not all of them. It's awesome you have so many good stations in your area, radio around here sucks major donkey dong.:eek:
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited March 2007
    Philly is a HUGE market, Like top 5 in the nation huge. The thing is, I bet at least 12 of those stations are owned by Clear Channel or Infinity Broadcasting, if not all of them. It's awesome you have so many good stations in your area, radio around here sucks major donkey dong.:eek:

YES IT DOES!!! You would think that being in Music City U.S.A that radio would at least be decent but nope. The radio in Knoxville/Chattanooga is better.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited March 2007
    sucks2beme wrote:
    Corporate radio has taken over. That's why it all sucks. All the stations
    are owned by a couple of big firms, making stuff like this so easy,
    You only have to pay off a couple of guys to control a 100 station's programming.

For many years the FCC regulated how many stations a company and/or network could own in a certain area. The equation was complex but it limited a broadcast "monopoly". Congressional lobbyists worked their magic and new laws were past. "Deregulation" was good for consumers:( I am so cynical!
    Carl

• markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited March 2007
    Schwarz:
    I'm with you on this one, deregulation screwed listeners. for many parts of the country the only other option is XM, but that has plenty of failings of its own.. Good old WKRP in Cincinnati was dead on with its underlying theme, only 20 years ahead of reality.

I've been lucky to have had 3 great staions to listen to over the years with a pretty heavy independent streak KBCO in Boulder, KTCL in Ft. Collins Colorado, and KINK in Portland. If it wasn't for them, I'd spend all my time listening to sports talk shows.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited March 2007
    NPR or other public radio is good option if it's in your area. We have several decent stations here. XM or Sirrus are also good options, but they need a player and a subscription.

Carl
    Carl