testing 1.2tl's

Options
marcusmy2k
marcusmy2k Posts: 13
edited March 2007 in Vintage Speakers
i have recently moved my set of martin logan monolith III's out and these new 1.2tl's in but i am thinking that they do not sound right? i read in here about doing a battery test. i hooked a d battery to the back of my speaker and all the drivers moved out the same and the radiator moved in, but when i play them i can push 400-500 watts into them and just a few drivers are pumping away? i think this is the cause for the extreme lack of bass? can anyone shed some light on this, oh also it seems when i get to a certain point the tweeter volume actually lessens? i was thinking that i had an out of phase driver, but they seem to be right in phase when tested with the batt. but when driven some barely move.....
Post edited by marcusmy2k on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Reading your other thread on bad drivers makes me think you'll need a full check up on those speakers; Not having drivers move with 400-500 watts? well, are you actually pushing that amount into the speakers, or you are using an amp capable of that? There's a difference.
    Check all drivers, check for air leaks; do you have the interconnect? If you're not hearing the tweeters when pushed, you're triggering the polyswitches; not sure if because they are too old, or because you are actually pushing all those watts into them.

Also, avoid replacing drivers without knowing if they match; there are impedance differences among similar drivers.

Good luck.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Check all the drivers for polarity, the black or blue wires are positive, the white or green are negative. The tweeters are cutting out because your amps are clipping and the polyswitch (tweeter protection) is kicking in. Turn it down. The SDA drivers do not move as much as the stereo drivers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Oh, and by the way, you should try to stick to one thread per problem.....it will be a lot easier to get help that way. Having three threads on your 1.2 problems (just saw the interconnect thread) will make some of us miss some of the details, you'll get the info by pieces.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • marcusmy2k
    marcusmy2k Posts: 13
    edited March 2007
    Options
    sorry i am new to the club polk. i did not know where to post, i had posted in speakers and someone there told me to post in vintage. well i guess they all have the same polarity as per the battery test on the whole speaker, and as far as the wattage? i think the srs 1.2tl's are rated at 4 ohms? if i am not right please let me know. anyway my meters do not show the power rating untill the top IE 0=575 watts but at 4 ohms 0=1000 watts. i am running a pioneer elite vsx-39tx on one side as a preamp and had it up to about 1:00 that was +6db and the meters were just a hair over half. so i just cyt the power rating in half, i know the meters sometimes can be progressive so it might have been around 300 watts? hard to tell. i will check for air leaks to see is there a problem area? i did as someone else said (lightly push in the passive and all the drivers should jump out) and they did? thanks!
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited March 2007
    Options
    This forum will allow you to read-alot.

Look here
    http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/specs/srs12tl/
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2