Need some advice on speaker replacement

edbert
edbert Posts: 1,041
edited March 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Alright, 2000 Grand Cherokee, Infinity system, everything stock at the moment.

My wife informed me that her radio started sounding "funny." Turns out the passenger side tweeter is blown. It sounds like crap, not funny. Anyway, I need some advice on what to do. Funds are limited, but I still would like to know what some good options are.

A little background, I don't mind doing any of the work myself since I installed my HU, speakers and sub myself and rewired the my whole car. I currently have Polk speakers and would like to keep it that way, but at the same time, I am open to other options. I want it to sound good because I will probably get this car when she gets tired of it and we find her something else.

Should I just replace the tweets for now and save up for any other upgrades, or replace the mids as well and put in a set of components. I haven't bought anything car audio in a few years so I don't really know what all is good, where the good deals are, etc.

Thanks for any assistance you might provide.

Almost forgot, budget not more than $200. I still want it to sound at least as good as factory, but for the least money possible at the moment.
I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
Monitor 30's - surrounds
CS1 - center
PSW10 - I'll let you guess
Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
Sony Progressive scan DVD
XBOX

SOPA since 2008
Here's my stuff.
Post edited by edbert on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2007
    Wheres allen texas at?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • edbert
    edited March 2007
    In between Plano and McKinney off 75. North Dallas area. Smaller community of around 50 to 60 thousand people. Great little place. Hey, since you are in College Station, go eat some BBQ at J. Cody's for me.

Any tips on the questions at hand?
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2007
    Polk does sell component tweeters. http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/speakers/tweeters/

You could use these for the simplest fix.

But you could also use some of these for the best fix.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/db6501/

Theyre $200 shipped right now at Cardomain.
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/POLDB6501
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited March 2007
    Ahh, a little too far for me.

I would replace both front door speakers and get rid of the factory tweeters and midranges all together.

Your jeep might have 6x9s though, go through crutchfield and check through their vehicle thingy.

I wouldnt run components off a factory deck, hell not even a aftermarket deck. Id spring for these:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/db691/

or even the regular 690s. I'm not sure I like the idea of a 3-way 6x9. I understand why Polk is doing it, but I'm not so sure itll sound any better than the 690 from last year.
    -Cody
  • edbert
    edited March 2007
    I wasn't going to run 6x9's in there. You can easily run 6 1/2's with a pre-made or homemade bracket. You can even fit a component setup in that space with the mid and the tweeter next to each other. There is actually a separate amp that runs the speakers and not just the HU power. Granted it is only like 30 or 40 watts, but it's better than nothing.

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • exalted512
    edited March 2007
    Those amps wont put out more than 25 watts of true RMS power. Still not enough IMO to run a set of components, or at least not Polks anyway. They tend to desire at least 75% of their rated power. Hell, I was running my old momos at 1.5x their rated power and didnt blow anything for 3 years.
    -Cody