A little help with Polk wiring on 5b's

Options
heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,082
edited March 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Ok so no one answered my x-over thread pertaining to the 5b's I just got. Now I have another question. Ever since I got them they have sound thin in the bass and just haven't sounded right. No extension whatsoever, kind of like a boom box. I know when dkg999 owned them he replaced both blown mw6502's and I thought perhaps they might have been wired out of phase. So I pulled the drivers and switched the connections.

When I FIRST checked it was:

BLACK wire to terminal with RED dot
WHITE wire to unmarked terminal

I switched them so that:

WHITE wire to terminal with RED dot
BLACK wire to unmarked terminal

Now the speakers sound like I remember them. Good solid bass and extension no more bass sounding like the rapping of knuckles on a wood counter.

I just want someone (Jesse or Raife or anyone.....) to confirm this is correct.

Thanks

H9
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
Post edited by heiney9 on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Black does go to the red dot. I also have monitor 5's, 4.6's, SDA2's, SDA2a's, SDA-SRS, RTA15TL, And now SDA1.3TL's. I'm not trying to brag here, but to let you know I am speaking from experience. Polk uses black and white like house wiring. AC the black wire is Hot and the white is neutral. I assume that Polk did it this way because amps actually put out AC not DC. It is also possible that someone may have play with the crossover post connections. When you look at the big inductor it should be wired to the + side of the woofer.
    Good luck
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • heiney9
    edited March 2007
    Options
    ben62670 wrote:
    Black does go to the red dot. I also have monitor 5's, 4.6's, SDA2's, SDA2a's, SDA-SRS, RTA15TL, And now SDA1.3TL's. I'm not trying to brag here, but to let you know I am speaking from experience. Polk uses black and white like house wiring. AC the black wire is Hot and the white is neutral. I assume that Polk did it this way because amps actually put out AC not DC. It is also possible that someone may have play with the crossover post connections. When you look at the big inductor it should be wired to the + side of the woofer.
    Good luck
    Ben

Thanks Ben. I'll be rebuilding the x-overs soon so I may need some advice in the next couple weeks. They sound much better wired with the White wire to the red dot, so perhaps the x-over was mis-wired at some point. When I start working on the x-overs I'll report back.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Do you have the link for the crossovers?
    If not here it is
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38755

I wish they color coded the wiring but it is easy to figure out
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • heiney9
    edited March 2007
    Options
    ben62670 wrote:
    Do you have the link for the crossovers?
    If not here it is
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38755

I wish they color coded the wiring but it is easy to figure out

Yes, I already have a hard copy of the schematics. I'm going to rewire the whole speaker as well, using red and black colored wire. Starting the wiring from scratch is the best way to go since I don't the history beyond when dkg999 had them.

H9
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I wish Polk used red and black. It can be confusing when the speaker terminal is black, but the black wire goes on the red terminal:confused: To me black + red = bad things :eek:

Enjoy
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • heiney9
    edited March 2007
    Options
    These do sound better with the White on red so I can only assume (for now) that someone crossed wires somewhere. It's going to be a couple weeks before I can jump into re-capping and re-wiring them since I just don't have time these next 2 weekends. So until then I may leave these as they are.

Thanks
    H9
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    Options
    It certainly isn't going to hurt anything, and I'm not going to tell you what sounds better through your ears when I can't hear or see them LOL :D
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited March 2007
    Options
    H9 - the x-overs are as they came with the cabinets. I don't think I even had them out of the cabinets. I just vacumed out the inside of the cabinets and replaced the tweeters with a pair of SL-2000's from my SDA-2A's and a pair of mid/woofs I had from a pair of Monitor 7's and they matched the numbers on the ones in the 5's. Someone may have messed with the x-overs, they looked untouched if I remember correctly, but I don't have the history either. Doug.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • heiney9
    edited March 2007
    Options
    dkg999 wrote:
    H9 - the x-overs are as they came with the cabinets. I don't think I even had them out of the cabinets. I just vacumed out the inside of the cabinets and replaced the tweeters with a pair of SL-2000's from my SDA-2A's and a pair of mid/woofs I had from a pair of Monitor 7's and they matched the numbers on the ones in the 5's. Someone may have messed with the x-overs, they looked untouched if I remember correctly, but I don't have the history either. Doug.

I'm sure these were this way when you got them. Again no complaints considering you practically gave them to me :D . Someone, other than you, at some time has messed with these (I'm guessing). Remember how I was a bit miffed at why there was no bass when you first brought them over? That question has plagued me for a week so I thought I'd just try swapping the connections and they sound so much fuller on the bottom end, more like I remember them. So they will get overhauled in the next 2-3 weeks. I'm going to e-mail you about another topic in a bit.

H9