Audiogon Paypal Scammage!!!!!

wingnut4772
wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
Be careful if you list on Audiogon of Paypal scammers. I had a listing and the guy emailed me saying he wanted to pay Paypal so I send him my Paypal email. Then he says he wants to pay buy money order BUT he wants to have his shipper pick up the item. I smell a rat so I send him my POLICE station address as the address where to send the MO.

That rotten rat fink ( I know it was him) sends me a spoof Paypal receipt saying I bought a computer from sone English tart for 380 pounds. Conveniently, it had a dispute link which I guess I was supposed to click away at in a panic and give this butthead all my Paypal info to dispute the claim.

Paypal (the REAL Paypal) confirmed it was a spoof so I forwarded them the email..and (maybe I shouldn't have) but I also replied to it with a most un-ladylike message for the butthead.:eek:
Sharp Elite 70
Anthem D2V 3D
Parasound 5250
Parasound HCA 1000 A
Parasound HCA 1000
Oppo BDP 95
Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
Totem Mask Surrounds X4
Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
Sony PS3
Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
Post edited by wingnut4772 on

Comments

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited March 2007
    Nice going. Too many DISHONEST people all over the place. Who the hell do you believe these days.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited March 2007
    Sorry too hear.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2007
    Thanks for the heads-up, Darla! It's been a couple years since I last used AGon to sell gear. Time change, I guess, crooks have moved in.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2007
    Hello

Heres something new that Paypal has out, am going to give it a try.....

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/cps/securitycenter/general/PPSecurityKey-outside
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2007
    Sartori wrote:
    Hello

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/cps/securitycenter/general/PPSecurityKey-outside

these work great, we have them at work.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,972
    edited March 2007
    I wonder if it's the same hacker from e-bay..... (not kidding)

see post: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50136
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited March 2007
    I keep my transactions simple, pay, I ship, you get, all good. any deviation from that plan, they can s*ck it :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • wingnut4772
    edited March 2007
    Yeah..the guy I know did it I sent an email saying I wanted to ship the item, otherwise it's a no go and I needed his shipping info. Of course I did not hear back from him.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2007
    I'm glad you caught it before you lost anything.

I do not accept PayPal. If I don't know the person I accept Money Orders or Cashiers Checks only. On THIS forum I usually send stuff out before I get paid and will gladly accept a personal check. It is one of the reasons I tend to give people hell when it appears their only reason to be here is to sell stuff. The Flea Market here is a unique and pleasant oasis in the world of internet selling.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2007
    Sartori wrote:
    Hello

Thanks! Just ordered me one of those, better safe than sorry.

Mike
  • wingnut4772
    edited March 2007
    MikeC78 wrote:
    Thanks! Just ordered me one of those, better safe than sorry.

Mike
    Me too
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2007
    Sartori wrote:
    Hello

That looks good but why do they have to charge for it? Five bucks isn't much but I would think they would offer it free as a messure of good faith.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2007
    shack wrote:

On THIS forum I usually send stuff out before I get paid and will gladly accept a personal check. It is one of the reasons I tend to give people hell when it appears their only reason to be here is to sell stuff. The Flea Market here is a unique and pleasant oasis in the world of internet selling.

Right ON Shack.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2007
    That looks good but why do they have to charge for it? Five bucks isn't much but I would think they would offer it free as a messure of good faith.

They don't make the device for free. 5$ is a small charge, and definetly worth it in my opinion for extra protection.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2007
    shack wrote:
    It is one of the reasons I tend to give people hell when it appears their only reason to be here is to sell stuff. The Flea Market here is a unique and pleasant oasis in the world of internet selling.

///////

Please see my for sale thread....

\\\\\\\\\

:o:p
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2007

Your exactly right. They would rather you "pay" a little for safety.

PayPal sucks.

Just another fee, they seem to suck harder for those.

"A fool and his/her money are soon parted"

Glad you did not get scammed Wing, idiot thought you just fell off the Paypal Turnip truck.

RT1