E-Bay Security WARNING! WARNING!!

treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,972
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
Save yourself alot of time and just go to post #15........

For the history of what led up to this......
http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2614
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
Post edited by treitz3 on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2007
    Thanks for the warning Brother.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited March 2007
    Glad I saw this before I posted it like a tard.....
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    tard.....

TARD!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA haven't heard that one in a long time.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited March 2007
    Thanks for letting us know. Will be more careful on ebay.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • treitz3
    edited March 2007
    Holy Moly, there's been an update and it's not even the same guy!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad:
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited March 2007
    I just read the update a minute ago. Sounds like an employee or former employee maybe.
  • treitz3
    edited March 2007
    It might have been, but it's still a very serious security issue!

NOT a laughing matter.

CHANGE YOUR E-BAY PASSWORD NOW!

IF YOUR E-BAY BANK INFORMATION IS IN YOUR PERSONAL ACCOUNT.....CHANGE TO A SEPARATE ACCOUNT IMMEDIATELY!!!!

Word to the wise!
  • treitz3
    edited March 2007
    I just read the update a minute ago. Sounds like an employee or former employee maybe.
    The cat who has posted as "geust" has also offered a $2500.00 finders fee for a certain piece of equipment, and has only added to what has already been disclosed.

This is NOT a matter that should be disregaurded.

I urge ALL to talk to as many folks on the phone, internet, whatever and inform that there has been a series of security breaches that E-Bay will not give a single comment about.

Everybody should IMO talk to all that deal with E-Bay and find out for themselves if they/you know anybody that has had the same thing happen.

E-Bay will NOT respond with any information whatsoever toward isolated (or not) incidents. They keep everything confidential. We are not.

TOO SERIOUS to ignore!
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited March 2007
    I just got an email from a "buyer" who was mad at me for not leaving positive feedback...

Since my wife also used our Ebay account, I went to MY EBAY and looked to see if she forgot something...nope

I went back to the email and could tell that their links were fake...you basically login with any name and password and then give out all your info...

I wonder how many people fell for that one:rolleyes:
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited March 2007
    dont get the gist of the scam, of course, this is the whole reason why I never attach a bank account to ebay or paypal. would rather risk the credit card's money than my own.

I use one credit card for all my online stuff, makes things easier to check and manage. I have the security settings on the card to where anything over a certain amount gives me an email or a phone call, and believe me, they do it.

I changed my passwords anyway just in case :) thanks for the heads up
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • treitz3
    edited March 2007
    ohskigod wrote:
    dont get the gist of the scam
    E-bay will not talk about this from anything that I have found.

Basically, E-bay has a very serious security breach. Some of the items that are put up for auction are fake items, from fake sellers, using REAL accounts and stolen I.D's. over and over, hundreds of times a day. They can't keep up. As soon as they delete it...it's back up within the hour.

Take a look at the link I provided above one more time, as it is being updated very quickly with some news concerning e-bay that is not a laughing matter. Check out the top of page three. Then check out on that same thread the article by MSNBC written on March 2nd of this year concerning this very topic.

I recently gave a bid on a legit item and have since gotten 7 or 8 e-mails from DIFFERENT people wanting to give me a second chance offer. Some of them were from England, some of them were from the US and one was from the seller....and ALL of them did not go thru e-bay. How did they get my information as to my actual bid, e-mail address, highest bid, etc....This has happened to me on the last 5 out of 6 bids for an item. That's MY personal experience.

At the top of the thread (link provided), you will see a friend of mine's auction disappear before his eyes, because he got hacked.

Take a look at the forum on e-Bay's website and you will find a thread concerning this subject that has deleted posts (9 so far). They do not want this to be discussed at all.

Take all this how you will, I don't care.....I just thought you should know and that you may want to start paying a little more attention as to what's going on. I am.
  • treitz3
    edited March 2007
    E-Bay Security WARNING! WARNING!!
    Another FYI post by yours truley. A problem was brought to my attention recently that I thought you all should be aware of.

http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2614

Go to page four, second post.

:eek:
  • treitz3
    edited March 2007
    Sorry to all that don't use E-bay, but check out all of page four.

E-Bay is in trouble BIG TIME, and they are lying about it bigtime.

The proof is in the pudding.

Be VERY careful with ANYTHING you do on e-Bay right now!

That's all.:eek:
  • treitz3
    edited March 2007
    I am so sorry to have to inform you of this.!

“Early Thursday morning, an alleged Romanian hacker signed into the eBay discussion boards under a hijacked account and started a series of conversations on eBay's Trust & Safety board that began as taunting and culminated in the worldwide posting of confidential financial information of fifteen different eBay members, including social security numbers, credit card numbers, bank account and routing numbers, ATM PIN numbers, mother's maiden names, driver's license numbers, as well as home addresses and full contact information.”

“If you are worried that your name and financial info may have been compromised, I suggest that you contact eBay ASAP.”

This is a link to the full story…..Part two. Earlier stories can be found by clicking onto the links on the right.

http://firemeg.blogspot.com/

Here’s more……….

http://consumerist.com/consumer/paypal/hacker-taunts-americans-for-letting-him-steal-their-identities-242756.php
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    This is friggin scary, if you do contact eBay will they come clean with you?
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited March 2007
    Meg put out a news blurp yesterday saying that phishers are the problem, bla..bla..bla. Enhanced protection, toolbars, and the New Great Paypal code thingy will solve all of her problems. Somebody notify Houston.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • treitz3
    edited March 2007
    Meg put out a news blurp yesterday saying that phishers are the problem, bla..bla..bla. Enhanced protection, toolbars, and the New Great Paypal code thingy will solve all of her problems. Somebody notify Houston.

I'l be taking that as a smart alleck comment from someone who knows NOT A DAMN CLUE as to what is going on. This is not my normal tone of voice to anybody, but you struck a nerve with me.

Read my link at the top of the thread IN IT'S ENTIRETY [including links], and then come back with an uneducated response like that.

Get a **** clue!
  • treitz3
    edited March 2007
    This is friggin scary, if you do contact eBay will they come clean with you?
    No, they will not. That's part of the reason that I'm notifying you folks.

There is a major coverup happening at e-bay right now, and if you want to see for yourselves the highlights........Check these out........

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2007/03/how_far_has_vla.html

http://www.ebaymotorssucks.com/rflello.htm and keep scrolling down for the first series of security breaches saved with screenshots.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/22/conspiracy_letters/

http://blog.auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2007/2/1172237333.html

Here’s a good one, take a close look at the charts….and what they represent.

http://www.ebaymotorssucks.com/scams030507.htm

http://www.auctionguild.com/generic148.html

http://www.auctionguild.com/generic149.htm

“More concerning, fraud disproportionately strikes high-end categories such as automobiles, electronics and jewelry.” As quoted in this article……

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070118/ebay_fraud.html?.v=2

And in conclusion, I would like to point out what I just reported earlier.....

http://firemeg.blogspot.com/

http://consumerist.com/consumer/paypal/hacker-taunts-americans-for-letting-him-steal-their-identities-242756.php

Now, are you educated? This is serious. I'm not kidding. If you can add information, then I thank you in advance.
  • treitz3
    edited March 2007
    ...And then refer to post #12 in this thread.

Now, you can help by notifying everybody that you know on every forum that you hang out on, and forwarding your concerns to senators, congressmen, the FBI, Dept. of Homeland Security, BBB, FTC, Secret Service or any other agency, or organization that you think would make a difference. Meg and here typical **** lies are not cutting it anymore. I dare you....TRY to get an answer from e-bay. How's that? If you can [yeah right].....post it here.

Do you want your personal information put out on the World Wide Web for a duration of 40 minutes, including what was revealed with the 15 members of e-bay?

Reminder of what was released of the 15 e-bay members.......

Social security numbers, credit card numbers, bank account and routing numbers, ATM PIN numbers, mother's maiden names, driver's license numbers, as well as home addresses and full contact information.”

Now, you were saying?
  • treitz3
    edited March 2007
    treitz3 wrote:
    I'l be taking that as a smart alleck comment from someone who knows NOT A DAMN CLUE as to what is going on. This is not my normal tone of voice to anybody, but you struck a nerve with me.

Read my link at the top of the thread IN IT'S ENTIRETY [including links], and then come back with an uneducated response like that.

Get a **** clue!

My sincere apologies tou you Polkstersince85. I think I read your response the wrong way. Thank you for your PM. Please understand that I have been working on this situation night and day since Monday. I was extremely sleep deprived, and I know that is no excuse for how I responded. Working with governmental agencies and reporters takes ALOT of time. I do ask for your forgivness, as it is not my intention to get into a pissing contest with you or anybody else for that matter.

I am just passionate about getting the word out before somebody else either loses money or worse yet, private information. I personally have had friends affected, and I personally have had private information exposed. The private information of mine E-bay has confirmed should have always been private, yet nonetheless, was revealed. So I personally know about the facts of what is going on. Once more, I can not get an answer from e-bay as to why or how it happened, let alone what steps they are taking to prevent it from happening again.

Once more, please accept my sincere apologies. This kind of reaction is not normal from me.;)
  • riglehart
    riglehart Posts: 276
    edited March 2007
    I personally ran into what I am sure was an ebay phisher last week. I saw an auction for a VERY nice Audio Research preamp starting at .01 with no reserve. The body of the auction had nothing but a button that said "Click here for Info". So, I clicked on it and it came up with what looked like an ebay screen asking for me to log in AGAIN with my username and password. Obviously they were going to steal it. Of course, I didn't do it. However, if someone like my sweet old mom would have been prompted....

I reported it immediately to ebay and the auction dissappeared by the next day (not sure why). I got a canned reply back from them. I wonder how many real people they have to actually actively work on things like this?

Ebay is a tool you gotta be careful with.
    Jolida Tube
    Polk 11T, 7, 5, 5jr, 4
    Standard equip not worth bragging about.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited March 2007
    No problem here, now we need to attack the real issue of the thread.:cool:
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited March 2007
    goddamn it's time for people to come together to help people. i'm in tucson and a dude on another forum i frequent just got scammed for $1900 for a set of 24" rims. guy had him pay via money order, bad idea on his victim's end. anyway, he posted up on the forum and called out to anyone in tucson who was willing to confront the dude. yours truely made face to face contact and 'pursuaded' the guy to return the funds. he said he will, but we shall see. i don't think cops can do anything to help in this situation. you be damned sure Bizill will make the situation right. victim offered me a couple hundred bucks if i get his money back. i told him to keep it. it's the principle and karma about it all. and i'd like to think someone would do the same for this poster you all have come to know as 'bizill'.

if you're in a position to help your fellow man against scammers and thieves, then don't be afraid to step up to the plate. i'd help any of you polksters if something like this happens in my town of tucson, arizona. just ask.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Good on you Brother. . .I still would have brought the police into the mix.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited March 2007
    Good on you Brother. . .I still would have brought the police into the mix.
    not over yet. may still do so... don't want dumbass to scam anyone else. dude had a story how HE was a victim as well. bs, but possibly true. i'll follow up with the police. and if they cannot punish him, then i will.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • treitz3
    edited March 2007
    The latest that I can find. http://firemeg.blogspot.com/2007/03/vladuz-returns-ebay-seems-helpless-to.html

Thanks Bizill, you are a good man.:cool:
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    BIZILL wrote:
    not over yet. may still do so... don't want dumbass to scam anyone else. dude had a story how HE was a victim as well. bs, but possibly true. i'll follow up with the police. and if they cannot punish him, then i will.

Remind me never to piss you off!!!:eek:
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    treitz3 wrote:
    The latest that I can find. http://firemeg.blogspot.com/2007/03/vladuz-returns-ebay-seems-helpless-to.html

Thanks Bizill, you are a good man.:cool:

That valduz (or however he spells it) is a sick person. What possible gratification can that person get out all this. It's like a graffiti writer who gets a cheap thrill out of seeing his name on a highway overpass.