SDA2a blown tweeter?

Options
NJPOLKER
NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
edited March 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Got a problem. It seems that I some how blew the right tweeter in my sda2a. I beleive they are the original tweeters, silver coil dome, and guess I need to replace the pair with rdo194-1's unless there is another alternative or way to fix it. Funny thing is that I have not played them at an extreme level, never past halfway. Oh well, from what I have read I should upgrade them anyway but was going to wait till i buy a new amp and pre-amp or amp and reciever.
I have been looking at a couple amps from Adcom the GFA 5500 and the GFA555. Then decide on a receiver and I'll be set for awhile. If you guys have any suggestions I really appreciate it. Thanks Drew
Post edited by NJPOLKER on

Comments

• NJPOLKER
    edited March 2007
    Options
    BTW, How much will it cost me for replacement tweeters?

Thanks again, Drew
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I believe the silk dome replacements are 48.00 ea from polk,,mention that you are a member. Good luck.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • NJPOLKER
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Do you think the tweeter blew because of the receiver? It's A Denon 375RD at 65 wpc which I am going to replace soon and am careful not to turn it past half way for fear of blowing the tweeters, guess that did'nt work. When I buy an Adcom 555 or 5500 amp along with probably a HK rec. will this reduce the chance of blowing the tweeters apply the power properly?
    Could the tweeter blow because of its age instead of the receiver be alittle underpowered and maybe me over driving it even though I only turn it no more than half way?
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited March 2007
    Options
    you most likely "clipped" the amplifier portion of your receiver,therby damaging the tweeter, the polk speakers that I am more familar with have a "polyswitch" that acts as the tweeter protection,,think of a fuse that resets itself,you need to feed them good clean power and current,which can be from an integrated or seperate amp,or a receiver with alot of power/current. Typically,you should not have to go past 11 o'clock on your volume control,as it should be loud enough, Just my .02 worth--geo :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited March 2007
    Options
    You might want to make sure you didn't trip the polyswitch and because of age it didn't reset. I would swap the tweeter into your working speaker and see if it is still dead. If it is, think of this as your lucky day, because the replacement RDO tweeters are much better and well worth the $100 to upgrade. Go RDO and don't look back!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • NJPOLKER
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Thanks you guys for your recomendations. I am not sure there is a polyswitch, where would I find it? I am going to order the RDO's Monday anyway and guess I should know where the polyswitch is located if there is one. Am I correct in thinking I need to be more careful with the volume using the RDO's?
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Volume isn't really the problem. Clean power is the issue. An amp can go into clipping at lower volumes then you might imagine, depending on the amp and the speakers it is powering. Half-way on the volume on the Denon receiver you mentioned might be at the clipping point. With the new tweeters I would back it down and let them break in, get your new gear and then be fairly cautious with the volume setting.

On my SDA 2a the polyswitch is right on the cross-over, and it's blue if I remember right.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC