Suggestions for replacing 10B's in HT?

Options
kparker
kparker Posts: 1
edited March 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I have a pair of 10B's (purchased new in 1989) that are my front speakers in my Home Theater. They still sound great and since my wife is not a big subwoofer fan, they fill in the base pretty well without the sub, but I am wondering if I should replace them with some new fronts and a sub, or just add a sub. What do you think? What would you replace the 10B's with, if it was up to you?

The setup is as follows:
Yamaha HTS5960 7.1 receiver
Polk 10B Fronts
Polk CSi3 Center
Polk M10 Surrounds
Yamaha HTS5960 7.1 receiver
Polk 10B Fronts
Polk CSi3 Center
Polk M10 Surrounds
Post edited by kparker on

Comments

• McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited March 2007
    Options
    If you have a home theater built around 10b's now. I would get a sub if you don't already have one and some SDA 1b's (or equal vintage) for the front - perhaps moving your current 10b's to the back.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • Flash21
    Flash21 Posts: 316
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I can't imagine needing a sub to go with 10Bs...unless you have a very large room or like to rattle the neighbors house as well as your own.
    Steve Carlson
    Von Schweikert VR-33 speakers
    Bel Canto eVo2i integrated amp
    Bel Canto PL-2 universal disc player
    Analysis Plus Oval Nine speaker cables and Copper Oval-In Micro interconnects
    VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables
    Polk Monitor 10B speakers, retired but not forgotten
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,713
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Add a sub, the 10B's only go down to 37hz, for home theatre it will add a lot of impact. I have SDA1C's, which go down to 26hz, I never felt the need for a sub for music, but for HT it was a great improvemnet.