Stock Market blues

dragon1952
dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
So anybody else losing their asses lately? I've lost about 12K in the last 4 days on my 401K. :(
2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
Post edited by dragon1952 on

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2007
    It will bounce back, Rob! Did you move to Oregon from SD?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2007
    Rad. I just checked and its down quite a bit.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2007
    If you still have umpteen years to work, ignore it & keep everything the same. If you are getting close to retirement, you should be more conservative. If you are retired, you should be even more conservative, but keep something in stocks, but ignore your 401k till things settle down.

That is if you are diversified enough.

I ignored my 401K & mutual funds for a couple of years, knowing that if I looked I wouldn't like it. But I've got yrs of employment ahead of me, so I knew the market would come back & it did!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • dragon1952
    edited March 2007
    polkatese wrote:
    It will bounce back, Rob! Did you move to Oregon from SD?

Yes...I finally got out of that overcrowded cess pool, thank you. The weather is about the only thing that place has going for it anymore but it's not worth it. Plus, even the sun gets old after awhile. Too many people, too many foreigners, too many ****, too many people, too much crime, too much polution, too much litter and there's too many freakin' people too. I love it up here, although we have had over 20 inches of rain this year already. You too probably. It's impossible to keep my pretty little 3-series clean, there's pine needles all over the house, there's mud on all my shoes...but I love it up here ;)
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2007
    I only have 2-3 years of 401k built up, so I don't pay attention to it right now, aside from dumping money in; that being said, the 20 grand or so I have in there didn't really seem to move over the past few days (just taking a look right now). Guess I did well picking what I invested in ....
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2007
    I am glad you find your slice of heaven there! any new audio toys?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • dragon1952
    edited March 2007
    cfrizz wrote:
    If you are retired, you should be even more conservative, but keep something in stocks, but ignore your 401k till things settle down.
    T

I am retired but I retired 'early' so it will be quite awhile before I tap into it to any great degree. I made about 15% last year and then the whole month of December I kept it safe. But the stupid market kept going up so I said 'don't be such a chicken'. I made a quick 3K and then .. pow! Now I don't know what I should do. If I get out, with my luck, I miss the big rally back up and have to eat the loss. But then maybe I lose another 12K. I hate this crap. I know there were other factors but if that a$$hole Greenspan had kept his mouth shut I'd probably still be OK.
  • dragon1952
    edited March 2007
    polkatese wrote:
    I am glad you find your slice of heaven there! any new audio toys?

Actually I've been more into guitars lately. I'm pretty happy with my little tube integrated and Jolida CDP. ;)
  • cfrizz
    edited March 2007
    WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING LISTENING TO GREENSPAN? HE LEFT!!!:eek:
    He is now trying to make a buck like everyone else! Besides he is careful in what he says, you just jumped to the wrong conclusion & are trying to time the market which ALWAYS fails!:eek:
    dragon1952 wrote:
    I am retired but I retired 'early' so it will be quite awhile before I tap into it to any great degree. I made about 15% last year and then the whole month of December I kept it safe. But the stupid market kept going up so I said 'don't be such a chicken'. I made a quick 3K and then .. pow! Now I don't know what I should do. If I get out, with my luck, I miss the big rally back up and have to eat the loss. But then maybe I lose another 12K. I hate this crap. I know there were other factors but if that a$$hole Greenspan had kept his mouth shut I'd probably still be OK.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2007
    Most of my 401K is in indivdual stocks. I only have a couple of small mutual funds and a few bonds mixed in to balance. The last few days haven't really hurt. Most of the stocks have been flat with no serious decline and a couple have actually increased which has offset the losses in the mutual funds.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    edited March 2007
    cfrizz wrote:
    He is now trying to make a buck like everyone else! Besides he is careful in what he says, you just jumped to the wrong conclusion & are trying to time the market which ALWAYS fails!:eek:

One would be foolish NOT to listen to Greenspan.

Greenspan was exactly on point with his assesment. He did not predict that a recession was imminent. In fact, he said few forecasters anticipate one. But he did caution that the United States appeared to be at the end of a long expansion and that such times usually brought with them the seeds of a recession. He cautioned that investors are in danger of being too complacent and too confident that the benign mix of low inflation and steady economic growth would continue.

He is not the only one to have this point of view. Greenspan's comments sounded pessimistic but were, in fact, consistent with a broader consensus. The National Association for Business Economics' most recent survey found an average prediction that the U.S. economy would expand only 2.4 percent in 2007 and that the chances of a recession were about 15 percent.

What happened is investors overracted to something that was widely recognized (a very long period of expansion without a correction in the market and the possiblity of a recession based on historical trends).

Over the last 10-15 years the stock market has been more about the perception of the investors rather than the actual performance of the companies or even the economy.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited March 2007
    You haven't shite a brick until you invest in a company that goes bankrupt. I did and would have lost it all except a few savvy shareholders petitioned the bankruptcy court that the company still had value and thus the common shareholders should get something. After 5+ years, my balance is approaching what it was before the bankruptcy. The company was/is MIR. They just announced earnings of 1.8 billion or something close to that in 2006.
  • dragon1952
    edited March 2007
    cfrizz wrote:

I didn't listen to him. He opened his mouth about a recession after I jumped back in. Everything was going great until he flapped his lips...and yeah, that's the point...he left, why is he even opening his mouth.
  • shack
    edited March 2007
    I use a "dollar cost averaging" investment plan and a dividend reinvestment plan with the stocks I own. I enjoy these "corrections" because it means I am purchasing more for my money. The market will move back up again (as it always has), but in the meantime my portfolio is increasing shares a little faster. Thanks Alan.

• cfrizz
    edited March 2007
    ROFLMAO!!!:D It must really burn the new Fed Chairman that Greenspan still has so much influence on the market!:eek: :D
    dragon1952 wrote:
    I didn't listen to him. He opened his mouth about a recession after I jumped back in. Everything was going great until he flapped his lips...and yeah, that's the point...he left, why is he even opening his mouth.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited March 2007
    I don't even want to look at my 401k and IRA accounts. :eek:
    No excuses!
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited March 2007
    fahhhgetttabout it, repeat after me, "long-term, long-term, long-term!"
  • cfrizz
    edited March 2007
    Very wise decision. Repeat after me...DON'T LOOK DON'T LOOK!!:D
    Strong Bad wrote:
    I don't even want to look at my 401k and IRA accounts. :eek:
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited March 2007
    **** I LOOKED....

Drinking now :(

Down 5k but I'm holding out :D

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2007
    I'm down about 25k but it should come back...:confused:
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • cfrizz
    edited March 2007
    Relax Henry, you are still young & have plenty of time to recover! Right now it is only a loss on paper, you go moving it around & it becomes a real loss!
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2007
    I hear ya Cathy but it does make me pucker up a bit...
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • cfrizz
    edited March 2007
    That's why you shouldn't look! Save yourself from going crazy.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited March 2007
    I only lost about $12K but then I am betting on the 8 year recession cycle (91-99-07-etc...) so I moved to some more conservative investments. Years end I'll go more agressive again.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited March 2007
    I'm smokin' a bowl of Cheerios and goin' back to bed.

;) lol! j/k ;)
    (non-smoker)
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2007
    I too lost some $ this past week in the market.. it sucks.. but my loss was pretty small compaired to what some of you in here have lost.

It will bounce back and this is only a adjustment, blah, blah, blah. but it's still a loss none the less.

I guess having a diversified 401k does help.. you can weather losses easier that way.

The market will bounce back again.. i'm not to worried about that... but man with the market in on the + side, my mood is so much better than when i see a - for an entire week or more. :eek:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2007
    dragon1952 wrote:
    Yes...I finally got out of that overcrowded cess pool, thank you. The weather is about the only thing that place has going for it anymore but it's not worth it. Plus, even the sun gets old after awhile. Too many people, too many foreigners, too many ****, too many people, too much crime, too much polution, too much litter and there's too many freakin' people too. I love it up here, although we have had over 20 inches of rain this year already. You too probably. It's impossible to keep my pretty little 3-series clean, there's pine needles all over the house, there's mud on all my shoes...but I love it up here ;)

Where on the OR coast are ya? I love the OR coast... you picked one of the most beautiful coastlines to live on. :D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • cfrizz
    edited March 2007
    I lost just 608.00!:D Nothing to jump out of a window over!:D

Diversification is the key Al!

You should have your money spread out over at least 4-5 funds including a fixed fund, international fund, small & large stock funds. That way you don't nosedive.

You already have enough tied up with your employer with being employed, so you should have minimal to nothing invested in their stocks! If that is the only option you have, I would take that money & put it in an IRA instead! Screw company loyalty!

It's the people who put all their eggs in one basket that end up losing out.
    danger boy wrote:
    I too lost some $ this past week in the market.. it sucks.. but my loss was pretty small compaired to what some of you in here have lost.

It will bounce back and this is only a adjustment, blah, blah, blah. but it's still a loss none the less.

I guess having a diversified 401k does help.. you can weather losses easier that way.

The market will bounce back again.. i'm not to worried about that... but man with the market in on the + side, my mood is so much better than when i see a - for an entire week or more. :eek:
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited March 2007
    Not too bad for me, down $7K. I'm in 80% stocks and 20% bonds. I miss a little on the ups, but the downs don't hurt so bad anymore. I let it ride through 2001, so this is nothing compared to that.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited March 2007
    Only 5% loss for me, which isn't bad considering how aggressively the my portfolio has grown (I'm mostly on Euro and APAC markets, some on SA). Now it's great time to buy back the AMX stocks I just recently sold... :D