RT16's as rears?

Options
brettw22
brettw22 Posts: 7,621
edited August 2002 in Speakers
Right now, I have my RT16's as my mains, which I love.....haven't ever found anything they can't handle.........but........I was lookin the other day and found the RT3000p's on sale and am probably gonna get them......Question is this.......

Would the 16's be too much as a surround? And.....being in an apartment with my couch against one wall and my tv against the opposite, if the 16's were used as surrounds, would they basically have to just be pointing to the couch where you'd be sitting to get the right effect?

Curious.......Otherwise, what I'm opt to do is to put both the 3000's and the 16's up near the TV and just run them both off the receiver via a/b setup......(unless there's a way to get both to run simultaneously off one receiver). I'm thinkin that using them for surrounds would be either overkill or a waste of what the 16's can do. (especially considering that I hardly ever need a sub with them)

Lemme know........please.
comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
Post edited by brettw22 on

Comments

• yoeddy
    yoeddy Posts: 140
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Well, I run RT16's currently as my mains and have RT12's as my surrounds. At one point I ran the LSfx surrounds, but they did not have enough bottom end. I sold them, bought the RT16's for mains, moved the RT12's to the surrounds and upgraded the tweeters to the 'silvers' like the 16's (thanks to Ken S!) and have not touched my system ever since. I kicked around the LSi's, but I just love my RT's and CS350LS setup now the way it is.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2002
    Options
    The only reason I'm kickin this around is because I can get the RT3000p's for $1300-1500 for the pair, which IMO is a steal.

With your RT12's as surrounds, how are they pointing? Do you have them angled like pointing to the opposite front speaker? or do you have them perpendicular to the wall and pointing right at you from the side?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • yoeddy
    yoeddy Posts: 140
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Angled and pointing toward the opposite speaker. I didn't like the sound the other way...