Speaker matching

Solitaire
Solitaire Posts: 4
edited August 2002 in Speakers
I've been upgrading my system in stages. Started off with a JVC speaker/reciever package. Replaced the tiny JVCs with 4 R10s and a CS175i. Now I just replaced the reciever with an Onkyo TX-SR600 and I need to add a rear center channel to the system. I have the system set up in a small apartment, so I can't go crazy with powerful speakers until I move to a house, hopefully soon. My thought is to move the CS175i to the rear center position and bring in something else for the front. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions/favorites for a replacement front speaker. Another option that I've been kicking around, and I don't know if it will even work without straining the reciever, would be to put another pair of R10s back there. Put them in parallel with an inline resistor to keep the ohms correct. I think that could be a bad idea, though. IT would have the advantage of being able to place a speaker on either side of my couch instead of mounting the CS175i on the wall above it. Anyway, any response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Post edited by Solitaire on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    You've got options, thats GREAT news....

Hell, with cs175's going for $82 or so on ebay, i'd say its a no-brainer....

You may want to look at an older CS100,200,250.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2002
    I have a CS200 that I'd consider selling. I'm kinda going through and upgrading things also, the center being one of them.

Lemme know if you're interested.

B
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2002
    You could try just running the R10's in parallel for the rear center. It might work, but I have my doubts. I think your best bet would be to use a center channel speaker.

Aaron
  • Solitaire
    edited August 2002
    I have doubts about the R10s as well. But if it would work, it would be a better solution than mounting a center speaker on the wall about 2 feet over my head.
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    What are the dimensions of your room? Where is your seating position?

Aaron
  • Solitaire
    edited August 2002
    It is on the small side. 12'x18'. http://info.springstreet.com/property/74/389674/floorplan/389674.f01.gif
    That is a rough diagram of it, though not quite accurate. The tv is centered on the short section of the inside 18' wall. Speakers are on stands as far out as the ends of that wall. Couch is centered on the tv against the back wall. The current position of the surrounds is on either side of the couch. But they will get moved forward and outwards to the wall next to the stairs and and approximately the same position on the right side when I figure out the back surround arrangement. This apartment is very sucky for furniture arrangements. I should probably get another CS175 and put it on the wall, turned way down, then just live with it until I move. I'm sure that once I'm in a place that I can work with, I'll be getting the itch for bigger speakers anyway.
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    I don't think you're going to benefit much from a rear center(s) in your current configuration. In a 6.1/7.1 configuration you generally put your left and right surrounds to the sides of the seating position and your surround back speaker(s), the rear center(s), behind the seating position a few feet. With the surround back speaker(s) right behind your head I don't think you're going to get much out of it.

Aaron
  • Solitaire
    edited August 2002
    Unfortunately, speaker placement was not high on my list of things when I was apartment shopping while moving to a diffrent state. But it was a good stop to get me established here. I will probably still add that rear speaker, just for the fact that I hate having that 6th channel disabled. If I have it, I want to use it. And there is always having it for when I get the house.
    Thanks for your help, Aaron. Tis greatly appreciated. And to those others who responded too.