6x9 sub woofer for rear deck

ben62670
ben62670 Posts: 15,969
edited March 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have kids, and I need my whole trunk. Can anyone point me in the direction I should go? I have a/d/s 325s up front, and an a/d/s PQ10 amp with 2 free channels that are 35 or 40 each. If you know a/d/s old school amps they are really under rated. I don't want full range rears near my kids ears. Should I just buy some full range speakers and disable the tweets?

Thanks Ben
Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
Thanks
Ben
Post edited by ben62670 on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2007
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-837

I remember Kicker having a set of 6x9 subwoofers a few years back, not sure if they are still making them....

BTW, hearing damage isn't limited to frequency - those little ears can be damaged just as much at 40Hz as they can be at 400, or 4000.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-837

I remember Kicker having a set of 6x9 subwoofers a few years back, not sure if they are still making them....

BTW, hearing damage isn't limited to frequency - those little ears can be damaged just as much at 40Hz as they can be at 400, or 4000.

Cheers,
    Russ

Sweet man I appreciate the link. They are 8ohms parallel 4ohms so I can bridge for 100watts (I know this isn't much but I'm into the crazy traffic more than the boom factor) and it will make for a nice blend in my system.

Cheers;)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2007
    Tang Band makes some pretty powerful subwoofers!

A buddy of mine is using 6.5" TB's in his doors for midbass. Needless to say, they slam!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    Thanks Mac I was just looking around on the internet, and general consensus is free air deck speakers suck. I'm not expecting much, and I have been fairly impressed with some full range 6x9's. I think the TB's will do what I am asking for, and I really like the 8ohms.

Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2007
    I wouldnt say free air subs suck necessarily. They can actually sound pretty good. The drawback is you lose a little impact and power handling....and not all subs will work in IB....and you have to use bigger subs.......and you have to make very sure the mounting point is totally air tight......Come to think about it, you may be right. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    if my amp puts out 100 watts at 4 each sub effectively gets 50 correct?
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Tim B.
    Tim B. Posts: 105
    edited March 2007
    Has anyone considered the Digital Design DDW6.5. That driver produces tons of midbass. I have the older ones in my 4 Runner. I have even seen them used in enclosures as subs. They play real low. Although I do understand they are more for SPL. http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/caraudio/woofers.asp?series=W6.5
    Car Audio System:
    Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    Front Stage: Hertz Millie MLK 2
    Sub: Hertz Millie ML3000
    Amplifier: Audison LRx 5.1K
    Battery: Kinetik KHC 1400 Power Cell

Home Theater System:
    Panasonic TH-42PX50U Plasma HD TV
    Denon AVR-3805 7.1 Recevier
    Denon DVD 1910
    Yamaha DVD-C750
    X-Box: Moded with 300 Gig Hard Drive
    Paradigm PS-1000 Subwoofer
    Bay Audio Studio Monitors: Fronts - CubeXL, Center - Cube, Side & Rear Surrounds - Mini Cubes (http://www.bayaudio.com/cubexl.html)
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited March 2007
    The TB's look like they would be a good choice.

I've actually run free-air subs in the past. First I ran JBL's and then some Kicker Free-air 12's. I put an angled board behind the seat, it had panels on the sides as well. I then sealed it up very well. The subs were firing through the rear deck speakers openings. Those things did sound pretty nice, and hit pretty hard as well. It did take a good amount of effort to get this done, but at least I had alot of room in the trunk for the strollers and other stuff. I thought about doing this again, as my car already comes equipped with an 8" sub from the factory. In the end I thought a single 8 would not give me what I wanted, and I did not want to modify the rear deck to get a bigger sub on there.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    Thanks BM "at least I had alot of room in the trunk for the strollers and other stuff". I got old had kids and grew up a little. Kids and groceries, and strollers instead og 750watts and 2 orion 12's in a bandpass. The funniest time I got a look was a guy was mowing his lawn about 200 feet from me. I was blasting my stereo, and he heard my system over his lawn mower. He started yelling at me, but obviousely I couldn't hear him :) .
    Thanks
    Ben
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited March 2007
    Funny :D .... I remember my bandpass box, man it was loud.... did not have much in the way of SQ though :).

For me having trunk space is a big issue. One reason I stuck my amps under my front seats. I see my car's main purpose as a mode of transportation. In the summer we go all over the place, especially the beach. So during the summer we pack the car's trunk full of beach toys, beach umbrellas, boogie boards, and a cooler. It the winter we go to the local mountains when there is snow, and pack the boogie boards and other stuff in there as well. At first I was a little reluctant to go with a bigger enclosure. My last enclosure was 1.05 cubic feet, the one before that was .75 cubic feet for my 10" sub. As it worked out, I still have a good amount of room in the trunk with my current 1.25 cubic foot enclosure. The sub enclosure is angled in the back. Since the back seats fold down, there is a dead space between the seats and the trunk that is seperated with a lip. Some of the enclosure sits in this dead space. When I installed it, I angled it down to sit against the back of the rear seats. It sticks out more on the top than the bottom, but it works for me. I may eventually go back down to a 10" sub if I need more trunk space.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    Funny :D .... I remember my bandpass box, man it was loud.... did not have much in the way of SQ though :).

For me having trunk space is a big issue. One reason I stuck my amps under my front seats. I see my car's main purpose as a mode of transportation. In the summer we go all over the place, especially the beach. So during the summer we pack the car's trunk full of beach toys, beach umbrellas, boogie boards, and a cooler. It the winter we go to the local mountains when there is snow, and pack the boogie boards and other stuff in there as well. At first I was a little reluctant to go with a bigger enclosure. My last enclosure was 1.05 cubic feet, the one before that was .75 cubic feet for my 10" sub. As it worked out, I still have a good amount of room in the trunk with my current 1.25 cubic foot enclosure. The sub enclosure is angled in the back. Since the back seats fold down, there is a dead space between the seats and the trunk that is seperated with a lip. Some of the enclosure sits in this dead space. When I installed it, I angled it down to sit against the back of the rear seats. It sticks out more on the top than the bottom, but it works for me. I may eventually go back down to a 10" sub if I need more trunk space.

Exactly. I too am thinkink of putting my amp under the seat. Little a/d/s PQ 10 that won't be in the hot trunk, close for short IC runs, and 8 foot max speaker runs. I was even thinking about putting it in my glove box!
    Thanks
    Ben