Kentucky Derby - Secretariat - Barbaro - Any Horse Racing Fans Here?

marker
marker Posts: 1,084
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
I usually follow the Triple Crown races every year for about the past 5 years or so, and the preliminary qualifying races are already well underway.

When Barbaro was euthanized about a month ago, I read where he had the biggest winning margin (of over 8 lengths) in the KD in 60-some years.

Well, the first thought that crossed my mind was "Hello? - Secretariat was far less than 30 years ago!"

Someone I work with who is into horse racing big time told me what the deal was, which I looked up on my own. He was exactly right, and I thought it was very interesting.

Secretariat did in fact have the fastest time ever ran in the KD, a record that still stands to this day, but yet he only won by 2 lengths, because the horse that finished second to him, Sham, get this, turned in the 2nd fastest time ever ran in the KD! :eek:

Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyqllleV6WA

Just freakin' amazing! Coming out of the last turn and down the final stretch, it was like they both hit another gear to distance themselves from the rest of the field, and then about halfway down the final straightway, Secretariat hit yet another gear to clearly separate himself just enough from Sham.

It only made Secretariat's accomplishment all the more remarkable.
Post edited by marker on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2007
    That is amazing.I remember as an 11 year old kid watching that historic race.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited February 2007
    I was staioned at Mare Island, California (no pun intended :) ) when I watched that live.

Old Shecky Green gassed out big time after the final turn.

Not a big fan of horse racing; my fews time at a track involved betting on nags like this
    horse.jpg

which taught me not to bet on horse racing. :)

I watch the Belmont, the Preakness, and the Kentucky Derby, and that's about it.

Liked "Seabiscuit", btw.
    Sal Palooza
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited March 2007
    You can't help but follow horse racing in these parts...
    I live about 5 minutes from Churchill Downs and try to make it as much as possible...

Nothing like a day (and losing a paycheck) at the track:D
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • marker
    edited April 2007
    Bumping this up since this year's Derby is coming up in a couple of weeks.

Here is last year's Derby in which Barbaro absolutely dominated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6PacUirYuQ
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited April 2007
    Derby started here about two weeks ago...
    It's a month long celebration in the 'ville.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • marker
    edited April 2007
    Old Shecky Green gassed out big time after the final turn.

Oh, I wouldn't go so far as to say he gassed out so much as it was simply Secretariat and Sham just pulling away from him. After all, they did turn in the fastest and second fastest times ever ran in the Derby that still stand to this day. Only one other horse has ever even broken the 2 minute barrier since then. Shecky pretty much held his on with the rest of the field all the way up to the end of the race. :)
  • marker
    edited April 2007
    Derby started here about two weeks ago...
    It's a month long celebration in the 'ville.

Yeah, I'd love to go one of these years. :cool:

Are you gonna be there?
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited April 2007
    Unfortunately not this year. But I'll be at one or ten different Derby parties around town.

If you're going to go once, count on going twice because there are two distinctly different ways to experience the Derby -- from the seats or from the infield.

Both have their "charms".
  • marker
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I've heard about all about some of those "charms", especially from the infield. :D
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited April 2007
    One class act. I remember Secretariat at Woodbine Race Track in Toronto.
    PS - I was a little more than 11.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited April 2007
    I can promise you two things from the infield...
    You will get filthy -- both mentally and physically.
    You will never see a single horse.

From what I can remember (or have been told), I've always had a blast:D

As for sitting among the royalty, celebs, movers and shakers, there's something to be said about needing to only turn around in your seat to place a bet with the gentleman standing behind you at all times.
  • marker
    edited April 2007
    Affirmed, the last triple crown winner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65V3xFLPNLA

My God, but did Alydar ever close with a strong rush or what!?!? :eek: It looks like he would have quickly overtaken Affirmed if the race had been just a little longer.

You've got to feel sorry for Alydar and Sham though. They both would have most likely been triple crown winners themselves (and in Sham's case, in otherwise record setting times at that) if they only hadn't been born in the same years as Affirmed and Secretariat respectively. :(:o
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited April 2007
    WOW, it looked like they hit the nitrous switch when they came out of that final turn! With all the advancements in training and such, it's amazing how that record has stood.
    No excuses!
  • marker
    edited April 2007
    The main reason those records have stood the test of time despite all the advancements you mentioned is real simple, the normal, average weight of a horse's heart is 8.5 pounds. The largest horse heart on record belongs to ... you guessed it ... Secretariat, which was approximately 22 lbs. The 2nd biggest horse heart ever on record belongs to ... surprise surprise ... Sham, at approx. 18 lbs.

Interestingly enough, Secretariat and Sham were actually related, as they shared the same maternal grandfather, Princequillo, who is WIDELY regarded as the best distance runner in thoroughbred racing history, and most likely, where they got their extremely large hearts from.

Edit - BTW, I really liked your analogy of "hitting the nitrous switch" MUCH better than my original one of "hitting another gear entirely". :D
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited April 2007
    I watched all three of Secretariat's races, I don't think I'll ever see greater horse in my life.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3