Anyone here trade stocks online?

Kris Siegel
Kris Siegel Posts: 309
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
The new company I'm with will be giving us stock shortly as part of our bonus so I need a way to manage them. I've never done anything with the stock market before but I assume I either need a broker or some sort of service online (e-trade? ameritrade?). I would much rather manage it myself and online if possible.

Anyone here trade stocks with a website like e-trade? Are there any good services like e-trade?
Post edited by Kris Siegel on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2007
    I use E*Trade for my employee stock purchase plan. I've had some issues with them honestly, wasn't impressed by their CS, so I'd look elsewhere.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Kris Siegel
    edited February 2007
    Does E-Trade require a minimum deposit? I didn't notice it on their site off hand. What about other services?
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    I use Fidelity but I'm so so on them due to the cost of a transaction. My work uses it for my 401k so I opened a IRA for stock trading, thinking keep it all in one spot. Less passwords to remember if nothing else. ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Kris Siegel
    edited February 2007
    I just noticed AmeriTrade requires no minimum fees which is nice but I don't know how well they rank versus other sites. I assume you can transfer stocks to any service like AmeriTrade, correct?

Is there a specific forum for stocks and people new to them? No sense in me spamming this forum with my newbie questions.

ScotTrade seems pretty good but I can't figure out if they're reputable
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    Why not ask here we all learn something, no one knows it all. ;)

Well if they think they know it all, I don't like to know them.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2007
    I know my father uses Scottrade. I've also read good things about them independent of his thoughts.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited March 2007
    Research about ALL of the fees. For instance, if you want to withdraw cash after a good sell, how much do they charge to cut you a check? (etc, etc)
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited March 2007
    The LATimes site listed is an excellent source of good tutorials in all aspects of money. Highly recommended reading. Enjoy

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-moneylib,0,3098409.htmlstory
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • polka boy
    polka boy Posts: 13
    edited March 2007
    I too use E-trade but I think I am being overcharged. It is easy to use and honestly if you don't trade a lot the costs (of buying and selling) will not be that big of a factor in you situation.