Fyi.

treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,969
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
A referral to this happened recently to a friend of mine. Hope this knowledge will help some of you.

If you are willing to pass this information along, it could really help someone that you care about. Read this and make a copy for your files in case you need to refer to it someday.

1. Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put "PHOTO ID REQUIRED."

2. When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the "For" line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won't have access to it.

3. Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone. If you have a PO Box, use that instead of your home address. If you do not have a PO Box, use your work address. Never have your SS # printed on your checks. (DUH!) You can add it if it is necessary. But if you have it printed, anyone can get it.

4. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine. Do both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place. I also carry a Photocopy of my passport when I travel either here or abroad. We've all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on us in stealing a Name, address, Social Security number, credit cards.
Unfortunately, I, an attorney, have firsthand knowledge because my wallet was stolen last month. Within a week, the thieve(s) ordered an expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had A credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record information online, and more. But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know:

5. We have been told we should cancel our credit cards immediately. But the key is having the toll free numbers and your card Numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them.

6. File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your credit cards, etc., were stolen. This proves to credit Providers you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).
But here's what is perhaps most important of all: (I never even thought to do this.)

7. Call the 3 national credit reporting organizations IMMEDIATELY to place a fraud alert on your name and also call the Social Security fraud line number. I had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an application for credit was made over The Internet in my name. The alert means any company that checks your Credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by Phone to authorize new credit. By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done. There are records of all the Credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away this weekend (someone turned it in). It seems to have stopped them dead in their tracks.

Now, here are the numbers you always need to contact about your wallet, etc., has been stolen:

1.) Equifax: 800-525-6285
2.) Experian (formerly TRW): 888-397-3742
3.) Trans Union : 800-680-7289
4.) Social Security Administration (fraud line): 800-269-0271

If you are willing to pass this information along, it could really help someone that you care about.
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
Post edited by treitz3 on

Comments

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited February 2007
    That is some excellent advice, treitz3.

I've used that "Ask for ID" on my cards for awhile.

Excellent advice, again. :)
    Sal Palooza
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2007
    Good info, I put 'SEE ID' in the sig line on the back of my CC's, have for years. Let me tell you, anytime a clerk asks for ID, whether they flipped it over to see the back or not, I THANK THEM, profusley. I'm happy to show it's ME.

The Post Office is the only place that's ever hassled me over it, and the lady asked me to sign the back (next to SEE ID) in front of her - never asked for my DL or any other ID. I didn't mind you, I just rolled debit - but what sense does that make?

Identity theft is real, I 'tossed' some old checks when I was 19, 20 years old (a solid 15 years ago). Guess what happened? Over 100 warrants issued for my arrest. A lot of affidavits, notarys, and a TON of headache later - I was free and clear.

Stay secure, don't carry your social in your wallet, keep it in the fire safe at your house (if you don't have a safe bolted down, get one). Don't have your DL or phone number printed on your checks, the less info the better.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2007
    Very good info. I never thought about the see id on the back of my credit cards. Will put alot of that info to use.
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for the info. Good advice there. Also good to see you here treitz3 welcome to club polk. I have seen you over at the carver forum a lot. REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2007
    Also on some receipts like at restaurant's they have your cc#, expiration date, and your name. All the employee/dumpster diver has to do is look up your address in the phone book, and there they go.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited February 2007
    Being a bartender and receiving many many CC's throughout the process of the night, I always check for "See I.D." or whatever saying on the back.. I always go back to the people and ask them for their I.D. I would say that 8/10 people leave me a higher tip just due to me being concious of this. Also, many have thanked me for being diligent, and usually state, "you're the first person who has ever done what I asked!"

I also sign all my credit/debit cards this way.

Great advice.

Josh
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2007
    Straight from the horse's mouth:

Rules for Visa Merchants (from Visa.com)
    http://usa.visa.com/download/business/accepting_visa/ops_risk_management/rules_for_visa_merchants.pdf

Read page 28.
    “See ID” Some customers write “See ID” or “Ask for ID” in the signature panel, thinking that this is a deterrent against fraud or forgery; that is, if their signature is not on the card, a fraudster will not be able to forge it. In reality, criminals don’t take the time to practice signatures: they use cards as quickly as possible after a theft and prior to the accounts being blocked. They are actually counting on you not to look at the back of the card and compare signatures—they may even have access to counterfeit identification with a signature in their own handwriting. “See ID” or “Ask for ID” is not a valid substitute for a signature. The customer must sign the card in your presence, as stated above.

Furthermore...
    Therefore, merchants cannot refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID. Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures. Laws in several states also make it illegal for merchants to write a cardholder’s personal information, such as an address or phone number, on a sales receipt.

A funny site regarding credit card signatures...
    Zug Credit Card Prank

Just some more information to stir the pot. I'm not advocating people go one way or the other.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited February 2007
    Good advice.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!