A tip for Limewire users:

mrbigbluelight
mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
.....this also holds true, I assume, for Kazaa Lite, Bearshare, et al.

Pay attention to what folder/drive that you select for "Sharing".

If you don't, than you get people like me who are off of work for a couple of days, bored, and start snooping using the "Browse Host" function.

While resumes, job applications, bank statements, etc would be interesting to read, in the wrong hands you can pretty much figure on a real headache or too.

I don't know .... maybe I'm just being a little paranoid, but ....... :cool:
Sal Palooza
Post edited by mrbigbluelight on

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited February 2007
    Find any nekkid foto's. :eek: That could be quite embarassing if they are of each other's significant other.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2007
    .....this also holds true, I assume, for Kazaa Lite, Bearshare, et al.

Pay attention to what folder/drive that you select for "Sharing".

If you don't, than you get people like me who are off of work for a couple of days, bored, and start snooping using the "Browse Host" function.

While resumes, job applications, bank statements, etc would be interesting to read, in the wrong hands you can pretty much figure on a real headache or too.

I don't know .... maybe I'm just being a little paranoid, but ....... :cool:

Or how about this tip:

Don't use these in the first place.....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2007
    Sartori wrote:
    Or how about this tip:

+1 on that

Almost ever single computer I repair that has limewire... has viruses on them. If you think your AV is going to catch them your living in a fantasy world. AV programs can't protect you from viruses that are unknown. It is a breeding ground for viruses.

Oh yeah I forgot it is a nice place for hackers to mess with your puter. Some of these places even give out your ip addresses. Windows has a built in share of the C:drive under administrator. They can have lots of fun with your puter.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited February 2007
    Those programs are rife with spyware, open holes, and you will be thrown Trojans looking to hook your system. MIT even uses a bot to crawl the peer-to-peer world checking usage. Bad juju all around. :(
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2007
    Forget the spyware, forget the trojans, forget the open holes. A friend and I wrote a program that will actually exploit the open port that allows access to the Limewire network. It doesn't get picked up by the firewalls because it hides under the Limewire guise on a port that is already allowed through the firewall anyway. Once that exploit is in, I can install a remote admin tool that allows me to see your entire desktop while you are using it, including what you are typing. Even if you have it encrypted, the keystroke logger will still pick it up. I can change group policies, I can set security levels, I can even edit your registry and lock you out of your computer completely. The only reason I have it was to prove to a client of my friend's that his excessive use of Limewire to share business applications between his business and home was jeopardizing his security drastically. He saw the light and we set him up with a nice, safe, secure FTP server.

Limewire is bad mojo. If you have it or any other filesharing software, get rid of it. It's not worth it. On top of that, Limewire has been earmarked and is being phished by the RIAA. You don't want to deal with that mess and thier underhanded, trickery and abuse of the U.S. legal system.

If you want to do filesharing, get yourself a BitTorrent client and stay away from the likes of Pirate Bay. BitTorrent isn't necessarily safer but it allows more security because the traffic is specific to the the BitTorrent software and you can lock the port it uses down to allow only the BitTorrent traffic. You can still pick up viruses but they are less likely to cause major issues or allow a back-door access.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited February 2007
    How about when you just get on Limewire for 10 minutes here and there to download a song while you have AV on, then exit out of it immediately and close the connection down?

Maybe not 100% safe, but at least on par with wearing a rubber AND pulling out, right?
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2007
    AndyGwis wrote:
    How about when you just get on Limewire for 10 minutes here and there to download a song while you have AV on, then exit out of it immediately and close the connection down?

Maybe not 100% safe, but at least on par with wearing a rubber AND pulling out, right?

I have had customers who let their kids install file share programs on their computers, and I get to fix them once or twice a year. :)
    New viruses come out every single day. LOts of hackers use the open ports to get into your computer. jstas wrote well on these issues, and if you install the program on your computer then it opens the ports at bootup.
    If you have a $hit box computer just for downloading I guess ok. jstas what is your view on network vulnerabilities with a computer setup for downloading purposes. Mine is not a good idea, but I do it anyway.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited February 2007
    So, just having Limewire installed is a problem? Even if you have it setup to where it doesn't connect unless you open Limewire and then go to Connect?
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited February 2007
    Sartori wrote:
    Or how about this tip:

I concur. My PC buddies say that the top 3 things that they are fixing PC's for is the use of "My Space", Limewire and an AOL messenger of some sort. My kids use that My Space and I have had to redo one PC twice that had it and Limewire on it. I told them no more Limewire! My Space is an addiction for them, though. Oh well...kind of like me on my forums (but mine don't cause viruses...hehe)
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2007
    Sartori wrote:
    Or how about this tip:

I wholeheartedly agree!

After rebuilding my brother's PC 4 times over the last few years, I flat out told him it would be the last time and to keep the kids off of it! It's all effed up again! Same with a neighbor, only I rebuilt hers once and said to keep the daughter off of it. Months down the road she said she had to bring in a geek squad type of person to clean it up. I think it's still effed up though!

Children and careless uninformed users are a PCs worst enemy!
    No excuses!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    Ok, so what's the best...errr,...easiest BitTorrent software/setup to go with? I've played with it a few times, but not wholeheartedly any time, and I really don't know what I'm doing when I'm setting up the software.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2007
    I have had P2P problems in the past. But i paid for Limewire Pro and it has really good virus protection. Don't do a whole lot of downloading. But i just ripped a complete album tonight that is not due out for another week. Burned it with Nero and it can out flawless. Ya, limewire sucks.;)
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited February 2007
    ...or get a mac.

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2007
    And twiddle your thumbs, wishing you could do something?

:D:D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited February 2007
    I've used bittorrent for a while with out an issue. All the bittorrent apps. are really easy to use. I'm using utorrent right now. I mainly just down load tv episodes that I missed. Occasionally I will get a song to see if I wanna but the cd
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, I'm using Utorrent now, as a CP'er PM'd me about it. Seems to be pretty good, I guess. I wouldn't know! :p
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]