Picasa2 question?

opus
opus Posts: 1,252
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
disclaimer: McLoki is exempt from this question. I'm sure he has helped enough:D

I thought I would be clever today and downloaded Picasa2. I thought I would use it to arrange all the pictures that I wanted all in one place (away from the kids) and this place would only have what I wanted. So picasa pulled all the photos off the computer and I went through and deleted what I didn't want, I organized and renamed them and had everything just how I wanted. Now the problem. It appears that when I deleted a picture from picasa it also deleted it from where it was originally.(my pictures for example)

Is this possible? I am basically screwed. I just deleted about 2000 pictures from my freshman daughters files and she is NOT HAPPY. We are talking prom pics, boy pics and the like. Oh Yea I also emptied the recycle bin.:o

Any chance that I am wrong. Since this all happened I noticed that when I delete a picture in mypictures that is also in picasa the one in picasa diapears too.

I just wanted to have my own little space:(
The Flea rig
Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
Polk RTA-11t-flea market
LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
Behringer Feedback Destroyer
-flea market
AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
Post edited by opus on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2007
    System restore to a few days ago.....it might work....i know there are ways to recover photo files another way, my friend had this happen to him. I'll ask him about it. Don't do a system restore yet, look into it.

For the future:

Backup pictures to an external HD.
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited February 2007
    There's a utility call freeundelete that might be able to help. You should probably try that as soon as possible before you do any more disk activity.

Sorry to hear about situation. :(

regards

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    Just asked my friend, he said he used:

http://www.photosrecovery.com/

and he said it works pretty good. However his was off a compact flash card, im not sure about recovering C drive stuff.

You could also try something like this:

http://www.mediarecover.com/

I know they are both paid options but $30 is insignificant when it comes to 2000 pictures with years of meaning.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited February 2007
    Thanks. I'll look into these options. I still can't believe that this happened. I feel kind of blinsided by it. Or am I wrong, was this pretty obvious?
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    **** happens, restore them and move on. Back them up on an external HD soon as you restore tho.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited February 2007
    opus wrote:
    Thanks. I'll look into these options. I still can't believe that this happened. I feel kind of blinsided by it. Or am I wrong, was this pretty obvious?

Don't feel bad. I've done the same thing using Picasa. Doesn't seem like they give the "you're about to do something permenant" pop up messages like other programs do.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited February 2007
    Opus - there are some undelete programs that you can run. Any chance of brining in your computer so we can try and recover some of the pics?

FYI - the more disk activity that your computer sees (i.e. the more you use it) between the time when the pics are deleted and when the undelete programs runs - the lower your chance of recovery.

i.e. - shut it down and bring it in. If you want, you can just bring in the hard drive. If you are not sure how to take out a hard drive, just disconnect all the cables in the back of the computer and just bring in the computer. (leave the mouse, keyboard, powercables and monitor at home)

Michael

Edit - also load a DVD burner (if you don't already have one) and start backing up your pictures. (tell your daughter she is responsible to back up her own pics) Give me a call - if you need my number, PM me.
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)