How many are MECP?

SpeedDemon
SpeedDemon Posts: 7
edited March 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Sup guys. Kind of new here on the polk forums. Im a MECP installer out of frys in H-town Texas. And this is one of the site that they let me view on the bay PC. I just wanted to know how many of you are MECP?????
Post edited by SpeedDemon on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2007
    None of us are.

We've got one guy here that works at a shop while he's in school but the rest of use are DIY'ers.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • SpeedDemon
    edited February 2007
    thats hard to beleave none of you are.
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    Just take a look at my install pics. That should convince you! ;)
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    SpeedDemon wrote:
    thats hard to beleave none of you are.
    Why's that?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2007
    What the hell is a MECP installer, and why would that matter?

Mike
  • SpeedDemon
    edited February 2007
    http://www.mecp.com ..

So of you seem to work in shops as well as home. And i thought for the ones that worked in the shops they would have it. :confused: .. Its all. Good.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    I work at a shop and I'm not MECP certified. Its great for best buy, circuit city, tweeter, and frys, but to any other shop its a joke. I could pass that test when i was in the 5th grade if i studied for an hour.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2007
    I'm not certified either. I took the First Class test in '98 with about 1/4 of the knowledge I have now and failed by 2 points. I didn't bother trying again. The basic test is nothing.
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

:D

• [Deleted User]
    edited February 2007
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited February 2007
    LMAO!!!!

That was good enough to be Sig worthy!!!
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2007
    SpeedDemon wrote:
    http://www.mecp.com ..

So of you seem to work in shops as well as home. And i thought for the ones that worked in the shops they would have it. :confused: .. Its all. Good.

Are you a MECP master installer?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2007
    This why those test are bs. Here is a sample question:

Painting a cellular antenna mast with car paint typically causes up to 1 dB of signal loss. True or False
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    E. None of the above
    -Cody
  • DemonAstroth
    DemonAstroth Posts: 131
    edited February 2007
    It seems all like a money making scheme to me.

The site will not tell you what topics are covered for each of their tests. I guess the only way to know is to buy their 30 dollar guide... so then one can be ready to pay for the test.

Demon
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2007
    Josh wrote:
    Damn skippy!

This is an incorrect response.

The response should have been "Your mom has lax hiring standards!"

That finishes my public service announcement.

I'm not MECP certified. I don't even have a desire to be. A background in electrical engineering helps me out alot more. On top of that, my dad was an electronics technician repairing banking equipment, ATMs and cash registers and worked as an electrician when I was young. He taught me alot about wiring, circuits and soldering. The rest I picked up by just doing because I couldn't afford to pay someone else to do it for me.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2007
    Your mom pays someone else to do it for you.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2007
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    I snapped your mom
    -Cody
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited February 2007
    Too me mecp are like ase certified mechanics they had school but that doesnt make you a good one, A good install is about work ethics and quality work I dont need a patch to tell me Im good at what I do, word of mouth does that for me, Im not bashing the mecp things but you stated you couldnt believe none of us were,

Speeddemon I think you ask the question the wrong way...really. Lot good people here we are not self proclaimed at being good (ok we might say it here and there but we simply dont need a patch to tell any of the other guys and gals on here we are good at what we do, we throw pics of our work back and forth..... pics say it all.....
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, you said it. Here's an install I did yesterday:
    bg17.jpg 130.4K
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    i want an escalade...
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2007
    Awww, you beat me to it...I was going to ask if it were an Escalade or a Yukon...I'm still not sure which...
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited February 2007
    exalted512 wrote:
    I snapped your mom
    -Cody

see, now that just sounds mean and violent... these comments are supposed to be innuendo, not sadism... you get minus 5 points....

and josh, how many freakin interconnects did you run??? have you ever had a set come loose or is the tape just a precaution?
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    tape is mostly a precaution, but with that year model truck, the circuit board for the a/c controls is open on the top. If one of those accidentally make a connection, it can fry some stuff
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2007
    Dude, ASE certification is no joke. Some people view it as such but I can honestly say that the test is challenging. I passed it with an 87 and I thought I did way worse. I know many people who have taken the tests for different levels of certification multiple times. The ASE patch is not needed because you are right, a patch means as much as the guy who is wearing it. However, personal ethics vs. having the knowledge and skill to pass an ASE test are two different things. The patch is not easy to get. I took the test with about 5-6 years experience under my belt and no formal schooling except the school of hard knocks and I barely had enough knowledge to get the score I did. It was only a practice test but a practice test is just an old test that was already used, it's no different than the "real deal" test. I only took a practice test at the behest of my store manager when I worked at Pep Boys because he wanted me to work in the garage instead of the counter.

There are good certs out there and bad certs. In the IT industry, MCSE certs are a dime a dozen anymore and all they really qualify you to do is to work a help desk for Windows users. It's not a waste of time to get a cert. Its the dingers who get them and think they are cooler than everyone else that give certs a bad rap. Every industry has it's certified people. Some certs are bogus but most are for real. To us, an MECP may not mean much but to the average customer, seeing a cert means that there is accountability there. There is a quantity by which to measure workmanship and a cert says you are more likely to get this level for your money. That's a warm fuzzy that the customer wants and you want your customer to have it. To those who have the experience and have done the work, the cert means nothing. That's just the nature of the beast though. It's a form of complacency where you have done the work so often that it's second nature and you end up seeing the cert as "common sense". However, let one of your customers in to watch what you do and they will be amazed at your "common sense" because it's not really that common.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2007
    My post was a joke. If I actually created something that f'ed up, do you think I would post pics?
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    is that why we havent seen any build up pics of your ram?
    -Cody
  • bchivers
    bchivers Posts: 29
    edited February 2007
    \\\\
    Marantz SR5400
    Denon 1920 DVD
    Magnepan MC 12/QR
    Polk RM 1000
    Polk PSW 404
    Homemade speaker wires and interconnects.
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2007
    exalted512 wrote:
    is that why we havent seen any build up pics of your ram?
    -Cody
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

This is just like the good old days!! :D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]