Windows Beta Testing

Sansui
Sansui Posts: 372
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Why is it that WE have to do the beta testing for Microsoft everytime they come out with a new OS? It used to be that beta testing was done "in house". At least it seems like we do the beta testing and it only costs us each a couple of hundred dollars for this privilege if we choose to upgrade.

Just a thought or two...
Be gentle, I'm new to all this...

The mind blowing speed of the BRAIN TRAIN...
Post edited by Sansui on

Comments

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited February 2007
    So Gates can save money. Besides, consumers provide the best feedback. :D:D
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited February 2007
    I was In the beta testing program. From my experience the os was not to bad. There were a couple driver I would have like to of seen from ms, but I managed to get stuff working. I had a sound card that was like 4 years old, and not supported by Vista, Or Turtle Beach(the maker of the card). What I did was a little research on the card, and others experiences. What I ended up doing was A dual boot of xp, and vista. I installed the card under vista using the latest drivers, and it fails. After it fails , you reinstall, this time using the drivers that are already installed under xp(find were the drivers are installed under xo, and tell vista to look there for them, and all was well.
    Since then I have built a new computer, and installed xp. I am going to install Vista on the machine pretty soon. It will be a dual boot machine as before.
    And as far as MS wanting you to pay 100-200 for the retail version, They sent all of the people in the beta program a 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Vista ultimate for free ( which is the only reason I am not waiting a year or 2 to buy it).
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2007
    Too many combinations of hardware/software to test in house.