A Great Day

Fireman32
Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Myself and Lou had the pleasure of meeting Joe (Hearingimpaired) and his wife yesterday. What a great day it was. First Joe and Phyllisann are great hosts. They made us feel very welcome and right at home. Joe has a great setup and I fell in love with the 1.2TL's, when I buy a house that will be a must have purchase. Joe's vinyl setup was awsome and I learned alot on how to take care of mine. He also cleaned up some of my records and gave me good sleeve's as well. We got to hear some awsome music including mapleshade recordings which were unbelieavable. Joe also cooked us up a fine dinner of prime rib and some big idaho potatos. All in all you could not ask for a better day. Thanks again Joe and Phyllisann for the great day.

Dave
Post edited by Fireman32 on

Comments

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited February 2007
    Congrats on a great get-together folks. Another great cook.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2007
    I'm loving reading about all these Polkie get togethers!!!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited February 2007
    What's this craziness where you mention "pleasure" and "Joe" in the same sentence? Maybe you meant the weather was pleasurable but Joe was his usual cranky self?:p :p;);)
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited February 2007
    Fireman32 wrote:
    Myself and Lou had the pleasure of meeting Joe (Hearingimpaired) and his wife yesterday. What a great day it was. First Joe and Phyllisann are great hosts. They made us feel very welcome and right at home. Joe has a great setup and I fell in love with the 1.2TL's, when I buy a house that will be a must have purchase. Joe's vinyl setup was awsome and I learned alot on how to take care of mine. He also cleaned up some of my records and gave me good sleeve's as well. We got to hear some awsome music including mapleshade recordings which were unbelieavable. Joe also cooked us up a fine dinner of prime rib and some big idaho potatos. All in all you could not ask for a better day. Thanks again Joe and Phyllisann for the great day.

Dave

Sounds like you guys had a great time. Joe & Phyllisann are two very fine people. I'm still miffed I couldn't make it. I would have loved to have met you guys as well. Now maybe if Joe had mentioned a nice prime rib dinner was being served I would have changed my appointment wity my CPA. I'm sure we'll hook up in the future.

Phil
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    brettw22 wrote:
    What's this craziness where you mention "pleasure" and "Joe" in the same sentence? Maybe you meant the weather was pleasurable but Joe was his usual cranky self?:p :p;);)

LOL you sound like my wife!!!
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited February 2007
    brettw22 wrote:

any man that prepares me a 2" thick piece of Rib steak and a potato clasifies as pleasurable, even if he hit me with a basball bat at the same time :D

anyhoo, seriously, it was a real cool time. Got alot of seat time with the 1.2tl's........veddy nice indead.

Learned alot about vinyl too. I also learned that the Oppo sounds bad **** for redbook CD with an external DAC. quite surprised.

Apparently, I have a knack for diagnosing speaker rattles, since I found the source of Joe's rattle in the 1.2 rt channel in about 2.3 seconds. We unscrewed the passive, chucked some speaker gasket around the back, put it back on, and all was good in the universe.

Joe knows how to deglaze a pan after cooking a steak, dude, I am still dreaming about that gravy.

Phylis is frikkin cool :)

apparrently, I am going to have to by some mapleshade recordings, sounds like they know what there doin.

I'm sure I'll have more, but its time for lunch
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Fireman32
    edited February 2007
    Sounds like you guys had a great time. Joe & Phyllisann are two very fine people. I'm still miffed I couldn't make it. I would have loved to have met you guys as well. Now maybe if Joe had mentioned a nice prime rib dinner was being served I would have changed my appointment wity my CPA. I'm sure we'll hook up in the future.

Phil

Phil would have loved to have met you as well. We definitly have to do this again as it was such a good time.
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    This was a fun day. I really enjoyed Dave & Lou. We first started with just BSing about things with Phyllisann in the mix. Then a tour of our new humble abode and idea of some of our plans. Then we got to the meat and potatoes of the day. . . the 2 ch rig.

We listened to lots of vinyl, special CDs, redbook CDs, and SACDs. The three front ends here now are the VPI/SME/Dynavector for analog, Rich's (SCompRacer) Sony 999 CD/SACD/DVD w/modright tube modifications connected directoy to the preamp, and my Oppo 970 w/digital through a Timbre DAC and the Oppo SACD going directly to the preamp.

It was fun listiening to all the different media on the three different "players." Each of course had it own strengths. One thing I am extremely grateful for is that Lou, in a matter of seconds, diagnosed the rattle problem (only with deep/subsonic bass) in my right 1.2tl. One of the screws was loose and as it turned out the screw hole was stripped, After a little playing around with it Lou felt it better to try placing speaker gasket around the passive radiator and that did the trick.

I was amazed how instinctively those two guys shared the sweet spot.

It really is so awesome have real friends who share the same loves. Heck that little get together helped another of our friends in Georgia, he's a few more miles closer to a pair of SDA 1Cs.

I really enjoyed sharing my day with you guys it was awesome.

I've challenged Lou to an eating contest but I think he was intimidated by my size!!!! NOT!!! I'll still eat you under the table big boy!!!!
  • ohskigod
    edited February 2007
    I'll still eat you under the table big boy!!!!

you know the day's gonna come for you to back that boast..........
    and on that day, you best bring your A game ;)
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2007
    very cool indeed.... nothing is better than audio, food and good company in my book. :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    ohskigod wrote:
    you know the day's gonna come for you to back that boast..........
    and on that day, you best bring your A game ;)

I bring my 'A' game everytime I come to a table for a meal . . . there just never seems to be enought food!!!!!!!!:D :p
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    Lou the next time you come I'll order a couple hundred wings then we will see who the eating king is.
  • Fireman32
    edited February 2007
    This I have to see. Oh and have a few for myself.:D
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    Lou I was talking a friend of ours (sounds like mafia talk LOL) about our vertical/horizontal bi-amping debate the other night and asked about vertical bi-amping. The way I understand it is as follows:

My 565s on the lows, my Parasound on the highs of the 1.2 TLs.

I actually don't remember the details of the horizontal bi-amping he explained. . . I was a little retarded that night.

Perhaps he will read this, reveal himself and set us straight, LOL!!!
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    I forgot to mention one thing about our get together Saturday. . . Dave is a geek genius. . .he can take a Rubik's cube and solve the whole thing in minutes. I've never seen anything like it.
  • Fireman32
    edited February 2007
    I forgot to mention one thing about our get together Saturday. . . Dave is a geek genius. . .he can take a Rubik's cube and solve the whole thing in minutes. I've never seen anything like it.

A geek genius..I like it. Thanks for the complement Joe. :D
  • ohskigod
    edited February 2007
    Lou the next time you come I'll order a couple hundred wings then we will see who the eating king is.

done.....and DONE :)
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -