Please Someone Help

brandnew1482
brandnew1482 Posts: 34
edited February 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
alright i need this to be as simple as possible i was told i need to set my gain so that the voltage was 17.88 volts but that was wrong...can someone please tell me how to set all the setting on the following amp with the following speakers...i know the procedure of setting the gain i just need to know the correct voltage i need to achieve.

Polk 6.5" Component System DB6500 - 40hz-23kHz -100 watts RMS - 300 max
Polk 6x9 3-way DB690 - 35hz-22kHz - 100 watts RMS -300 max

Profile 80x4 amplifier. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-x0NdOzEy5Ef/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&tab=morephotos&pi=4&i=489AP1040&display=XL#Tab

If possible, if anyone of you are truly ingenious, can you tell me where to set each of the crossovers, and how much voltage I need to have the gain set to.

Also simple step by step gain/voltage setting would be nice. People have posted this long things that just confuse me. I would like a nice short typed up procedure by a person, in simple words.
Post edited by brandnew1482 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2007
    Forget the voltage settings.

Turn the gains all the way down. Turn the volume on the head unit all the way down. Turn off ALL bass and treble boost and put the crossover to FULL.

Now pick a CD that is recorded really well and best represents the type of music that you listen to.

Now turn up the volume on your head unit to about 75%.

Now turn up the FRONT gain on the amp til the speakers start to distort slightly. Then back it down just til the distortion stops.

Now begin turning up the REAR gain until it blends in well with the front speakers. Youre done.

Now I wouldnt use the treble boost at all and only a no bass boost either, especially without a sub. So leave both of those off.

Now set both front and rear crossover to LOW PASS. Start off with the dial at the 11 o'clock position on the front channel and set it to 50 for the rear channels.

This will be your baseline settings for crossover and you can tweak em a little if you feel the need.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • brandnew1482
    edited February 2007
    if i set it to low pass only bass comes out...like subs...do u mean high pass
    MacLeod wrote:
    Forget the voltage settings.

Turn the gains all the way down. Turn the volume on the head unit all the way down. Turn off ALL bass and treble boost and put the crossover to FULL.

Now pick a CD that is recorded really well and best represents the type of music that you listen to.

Now turn up the volume on your head unit to about 75%.

Now turn up the FRONT gain on the amp til the speakers start to distort slightly. Then back it down just til the distortion stops.

Now begin turning up the REAR gain until it blends in well with the front speakers. Youre done.

Now I wouldnt use the treble boost at all and only a no bass boost either, especially without a sub. So leave both of those off.

Now set both front and rear crossover to LOW PASS. Start off with the dial at the 11 o'clock position on the front channel and set it to 50 for the rear channels.

This will be your baseline settings for crossover and you can tweak em a little if you feel the need.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2007
    Oops. Thats my bad.

I meant HIGH PASS. :o
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • brandnew1482
    edited February 2007
    MacLeod wrote:

and only a no bass boost either?
  • brandnew1482
    edited February 2007
    i really would like to have the voltage set right