Sound-proofing for music room

dragon1952
dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
What are some reasonably cost-effective options as far as sound-proofing? This will be for a new house. It doesn't really have to be totally sound-proofed, just quieted substantially. And I'm thinking not only for my music room but the house in general. My parents will have totally separate living quarters on the first floor and we'll be on the second floor. They will have their own front door and we will have a door at the top of the stairway. They are fairly noisy....my Dad doesn't know how to close things gently, maybe because he's almost deaf anyway.... he just flings things shut....cupboards, doors, toilet seat, you name it....slam, slam, slam :rolleyes: And he can't remember where **** is either so he's gotta like open 10 cupboards just to make a sandwich :( Plus both of them are hard of hearing so they have to yell at each other to be heard and then they have to repeat everything several times until they're on the same page.
On a side note, I was about 3 ft from my Dad today while he was working the crossword. I was on the laptop and a page was taking too long to load so I said rather loudly 'Aw jeez .. come on!' and he goes 'Cimmaron?....c-i-m-m-a-r-o-n' . I said 'huh?' and he goes 'Did you ask how to spell cimmaron?' :confused:
We're staying together in a 2-story now until the house is built, with me and the wife upstairs most of the time, and I can hear them even with my headphones on.
Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice anyone might have :D
2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
Post edited by dragon1952 on

Comments

• Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,621
    edited February 2007
    In your situation I would definately have the builders insulate the joists between the first and second floor and maybe even double sheetrock the ceiling. Also, insulate the interior walls where you want it to be quiet like for an office. I have also found that solid wood doors cut down on sound transmission much more than the standard hollow core doors.
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited February 2007
    check out greendepot...I can't get url to work...sorry
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited February 2007
    Start by going here. http://www.quietsolution.com/ there quietrock really does work. REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited February 2007
    There are many different products for sound-proofing and costs can add up quickly. The most important thing is to not give sound waves a solid path from one room to another, as well as seal up any gaps.

I'm thinking that maybe the most cost effective method would be insulation between the studs and a bead of silicone between all interfaces of the drywall and studs. Then a bead of silicone at the edges... and Then.. another layer of drywall.

I can't vouch for the effectiveness of this since I didn't do it in my basement. I got lazy and just used insulation between the studs with normal drywall methods. BUT...through my bit of research, the method above is what i was going to go with as the most cost efficient comapred to other ideas.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited February 2007
    Yeah thanks, I already checked out the Quietrock. That looked good, as did several other items that came up on a Google search for soundproofing, but all of them are a little pricey. I was looking for some other less expensive solutions although I may go with something like that in the music room which will be around 12x15. I definitely couldn't afford that throughout the house though. These insulation suggestions and maybe the double sheetrock look like possiblities though. It looks like Green Depot sells the 'Quiet' products. Thanks for the suggestions! I plan on talking to my contractor but just wanted to get some input first.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited February 2007
    My vote is on the quietrock. I've seen it used and tested on Holmes on Homes and it seems to make a huge difference. Build quality looks great, too.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited February 2007
    Also if you use z channeling between the layers of sheet rock it makes a huge difference and its cheap. REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D