Rip M&k

marker
marker Posts: 1,084
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
It is being said over at AVS that M&K is officially gone for good as of the day before yesterday. :(
Post edited by marker on

Comments

• Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited February 2007
    Really? Looking at the company's website, there's nothing to indicate this is happening.
  • howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited February 2007
    Huh, here is what thier online stores says...

The store is temporarily offline for maintenance. Sorry for the inconvenience. Please come back later.

?
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited February 2007
    It has been predicted for a while now, as they had a small following(dealer wise). I looked at them as I was selecting product lines, but was told to look at someone else due to the slide down.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited February 2007
    M&K's website mention the close of their Chatsworth, CA factory as of 02/22/2007. Nothing about the closing of business.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited February 2007
    Danny Tse wrote:
    M&K's website mention the close of their Chatsworth, CA factory as of 02/22/2007. Nothing about the closing of business.

Unless they've subbed the work out to some little guys in a hollow tree, I think this indicates closing of business.;)
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,568
    edited February 2007
    So M&K is no more eh.

Well, the real question is - who will really miss them.

Their active push pull configuration sounded like bass that was in slow motion. Bleh.

But, alas - never is fun to see an old company die. RIP ;)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited February 2007
    M&K only said they closed thier US plant. I believe they had to switch to a Low Cost Country (China I think) in order to get costs in line (They used to test all speakers individually which is very costly (they may still do this in thier new plant). Also notice that now they are experiencing counterfit product hitting the market out of China.

Anyway, they have some really nice products and hopefully they will continue on for a while.

And I would really miss them! I have all M&K products for my PC (B1600's x 2) and HT (851's x 5 and MX-150 sub). So I'm pulling for them.

Howie
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited February 2007
    Wow! I was never personally a fan of their gear for home use, but they sure seemed to have a good following in many high-end studios.

I hate to see any good small company go down. Hopefully they can pull things together.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited February 2007
    Sid,

I remember you had an M&K subwoofer that served you well for a few years. That was until you got an SVS :)
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!